Update: Beasley Out for Miami game. Beasley Injury Thread

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You said it was an ACL injury, which would not be "week to week", nor would they have to "wait until the swelling goes down" to diagnose it - an ACL injury can be diagnosed pretty accurately by a trainer immediately afterwards using a Lachman test or measured variant before there's any swelling to speak of

It would also be pretty surprising for Allen to say this if there's a good chance he has to have surgery and is done for the year.  At least, I think trainers and physicians have a responsibility to be realistic with the players they work with:

Great news, I think.  Still a lot unknown until we here from Beas himself (unlikely), or see if he gets in a limited practice.

Listening to the Josh Allen press conference, he certainly sounded optimistic to me.  

Just now, Dukestreetking said:

Ok, I'm going to try to be kind-of-nice in this response.

But wtf, over? I've made perfectly clear where I am on this issue. And you compare me to some Simpsons character? A quack Doc, no less.

In case you haven't guessed, I've gotten a little med cross-training.

That's what happens when you've been f***ing fighting in war zones--did you know we have those?--for 17 years.

So, crawl back in your safe space little one, and let the goddamn adults handle the bad guys...and this discussion.

I’m an adult, and have a doctorate in Anatomy.  The term you were looking for was blood supply, not innervation.  The blood supply to the meniscus is pretty limited and primarily through the synovium.  

No one in this thread can diagnose what what happened to him based on the replay, or the few seconds of the sideline shot with the trainers.  So we all should quit guessing.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Anatomy professor here.  Was going to ask the same thing.

Roger. You can look up (I don't remember off hand), which specific tissue gets metabolic nutritious blood flow (aka, innervation).

I'd be sincerely interested in your views, as your insight would be well past my own.

4 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Ok, I'm going to try to be kind-of-nice in this response.

But wtf, over? I've made perfectly clear where I am on this issue. And you compare me to some Simpsons character? A quack Doc, no less.

In case you haven't guessed, I've gotten a little med cross-training.

That's what happens when you've been f***ing fighting in war zones--did you know we have those?--for 17 years.

So, crawl back in your safe space little one, and let the goddamn adults handle the bad guys...and this discussion.

Talk about going off the rails. You seem to have some difficulty with the meaning of words, most notably “adult” in your above post. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dukestreetking said:

Roger. You can look up (I don't remember off hand), which specific tissue gets metabolic nutritious blood flow (aka, innervation).

I'd be sincerely interested in your views, as your insight would be well past my own.

Innervation is supply of nervous tissue to an area; it has nothing to do with blood supply.  You are referring to blood flow or to use another term, perfusion.

The peripheral parts of the meniscus can get direct blood flow; the majority (around 70%) of the meniscus gets O2supply and such from the synovial fluid within the joint.  One of the reasons microfracture surgery is used to treat cartilage damage is it promotes blood flow to areas that are avascular normally, and brings in progenitor cells that can help generate new tissue.

The meniscus act as a sort of shock absorber inside the joint.  If (let me repeat IF!!!) he sustained a meniscus injury such as a tear then they could scope him to remove the fragment.  They haven’t done that.  If it’s a lateral or medial collateral ligament sprain they treat the swelling and such and maybe put him in a brace.  I suspect - SUSPECT - if they though it was an ACL or PCL he’d have had an MRI today.

Thexanswer is there is no answer yet. Reckless guesses just panic people innecessarily.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I’m an adult, and have a doctorate in Anatomy.

Huh? I was not replying to you or in any way being disrespectful.

If you see my reply, I was asking for your insight.

More generally, across this entire thread, I've been extremely careful in NOT saying I--or anyone--could diagnose from afar.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Innervation is supply of nervous tissue to an area; it has nothing to do with blood supply.  You are referring to blood flow or to use another term, perfusion.

The peripheral parts of the meniscus can get direct blood flow; the majority (around 70%) of the meniscus gets O2supply and such from the synovial fluid within the joint.  One of the reasons microfracture surgery is used to treat cartilage damage is it promotes blood flow to areas that are avascular normally, and brings in progenitor cells that can help generate new tissue.

The meniscus act as a sort of shock absorber inside the joint.  If (let me repeat IF!!!) he sustained a meniscus injury such as a tear then they could scope him to remove the fragment.  They haven’t done that.  If it’s a lateral or medial collateral ligament sprain they treat the swelling and such and maybe put him in a brace.  I suspect - SUSPECT - if they though it was an ACL or PCL he’d have had an MRI today.

Thexanswer is there is no answer yet. Reckless guesses just panic people innecessarily.

100% correct. hed have had an MRI tuesday. he def doesnt have an ACL 

its meniscus. you dont injur your mcl or even LCL non contact the way beasely did 

2 minutes ago, balln said:

100% correct. hed have had an MRI tuesday. he def doesnt have an ACL 

its meniscus. you dont injur your mcl or even LCL non contact the way beasely did 

Please quit talking in definitives when nothing is definitive.  

3 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Huh? I was not replying to you or in any way being disrespectful.

If you see my reply, I was asking for your insight.

More generally, across this entire thread, I've been extremely careful in NOT saying I--or anyone--could diagnose from afar.

Just trying to offer clarification

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Please quit talking in definitives when nothing is definitive.  

please dont read / or dont get so bothered

of course its not definitive / pure speculation - but im an orthopaedic surgeon. what do i know

• Like (+1) 1

Then you should know not to speculate, right?  

why? my buddies and i all the time talk about injuries from watching games.... you know speculation isnt illegal right? football announcers sometimes say " i dont want to speculate" and then they go ahead and do

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, balln said:

why? my buddies and i all the time talk about injuries from watching games.... you know speculation isnt illegal right? football announcers sometimes say " i dont want to speculate" and then they go ahead and do

It’s just that you have a multiple page thread of panicked fans.  No reason to make it worse.  We’ll know soon enough.

26 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The term you were looking for was blood supply, not innervation.  The blood supply to the meniscus is pretty limited and primarily through the synovium.   

I thought the same thing but didn't say anything here because I couldn't remember how to spell synovium.

It’s just that you have a multiple page thread of panicked fans.  No reason to make it worse.  We’ll know soon enough.

I DO agree with you on that. We ALL need relax and breathe. ITs still just football. Even tho i was a panicked patty the minute it happened

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

We seem to have a lot of medical degreed professionals commenting on this thread, what does a moderate meniscus injury mean?

3-weeks?

moderate doesnt mean anything to me.  its tear pattern and location / mechanical symptoms that matter. its really too hard to say how long. also professional athlets and based on their position changes the algorithm 

• Thank you (+1) 1