A COMPLETE Role Reversal

I'm mostly a lurker, but...as a long suffering fan, I can't help but be stunned by the role reversal I am watching...and it is only half time.  Just a few of the things that jump out at me:

- The Patriots are playing for pride.

- The Bills are playing for seeding.

- The Patriots have a QB problem while the Bills have a franchise QB.

- The Patriots, feeling overmanned, come out swinging.  They are playing with heart.  (How many times have we said something like that about a Bills team.)

- They even throw a trick play early.  It works, but it doesn't...because the guy drops it.  Every Patriot fan groans in his heart and says that you can't let opportunities like that go against this team.  You have to cash them in.

- The Bills give the Patriot fans a break by dropping some TD passes, but it doesn't matter because we score anyway (I can't tell how many times I felt that soul crushing when a break went our way against them, but it did not matter.)

- The Bills keep going for it on fourth down.  As an opposing team, you just feel so frustrated because it seems so hard to stop the Patriots...err Bills...and when you finally think you might have, they go for it and you didn't.

- The Patriots, not long ago, outsmarted us on special teams and did an all out rush without covering the gunner and getting a block.  Today, we outsmart the Patriots on special teams by having the up man throw that pass.

- The Patriots, obviously down and in trouble and with time running out in the half - in need of a score, run the ball again and again.  The Patriot fan shakes his head and says, what are you doing?

- The Bills score on every possession (except the kneel down).

It is like I am having some kind of out of body experience.

I will be nervous in the second half because that is my way.  Let me rephrase that - This Is The Way.  But how many times I have watched this game from the other side and I went in to halftime with that glimmer of hope....we sort of hung with them for awhile, but I knew there really wasn't a chance...and the other team just pulled away or didn't take us too seriously in the second half.

(EDIT - I added...and with time running out in the half)

Edited by Long Suffering Fan
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Let's add to the list:

- The Patriot fan, struggling with holding on to a glimmer of hope at half time watches the Bills come out the first drive of the third quarter and jam it down their throat!

- The Patriots play us tough the first meeting of the season and maybe could have won, but get their doors blown off in the second meeting so that you wonder how it was ever that close in the first game.

- Up by 22 in the 3rd quarter, the Bills throw deep.

- Up by 22 in the 3rd quarter, the Bills play a bunch of empty backfield with no hint of running the ball.

- The Patriots punt from our side of the field!

- They pin us deep, but it doesn't matter because we score anyway.

- The gushing of the announcers!

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

Let's add to the list:

- The Patriot fan, struggling with holding on to a glimmer of hope at half time watches the Bills come out the first drive of the third quarter and jam it down their throat!

- The Patriots play us tough the first meeting of the season and maybe could have won, but get their doors blown off in the second meeting so that you wonder how it was ever that close in the first game.

- Up by 22 in the 3rd quarter, the Bills throw deep.

- Up by 22 in the 3rd quarter, the Bills play a bunch of empty backfield with no hint of running the ball.

- The Patriots punt from our side of the field!

- They pin us deep, but it doesn't matter because we score anyway.

- The gushing of the announcers!

This is hysterical.  You nailed it.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Stroke 17 said:

And is anybody feeling sorry for Belicheat.  All the excuses by the ESPN crew about all that has gone wrong for the Pats fall on deaf years for Bills fans. When Belicheat threw the phone I i loved it,  Screw him. poor guy.

The only other thing that rivals that was the tablet throw a few years ago. So good.

KaleidoscopicSentimentalIndianelephant-s

• Like (+1) 2

8 guys opted out and two of their top 4 defenders.  They have holes everywhere.  Doubt they can fix it in one year.  They likely need two off-seasons to reload.  Unsure if Belichick even has it in him to try.  They would need to add two high quality receiving targets and a couple linemen just to be competitive on offense.  They might stick with Newton or be in the running for Ryan or Garoppolo or Winston.  There will be numerous veteran QBs on the market again this year.  

They are dead and buried this year.  Belichick built a great non-name defense in the past.  He has cap space. I suspect he can do it again.  I just don't think they can do it in one year.  With a 3rd place schedule they could stay competitive until the final quarter of the season.    

10 hours ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

I'm mostly a lurker, but...as a long suffering fan, I can't help but be stunned by the role reversal I am watching...and it is only half time.  Just a few of the things that jump out at me:

- The Patriots are playing for pride.

- The Bills are playing for seeding.

- The Patriots have a QB problem while the Bills have a franchise QB.

- The Patriots, feeling overmanned, come out swinging.  They are playing with heart.  (How many times have we said something like that about a Bills team.)

- They even throw a trick play early.  It works, but it doesn't...because the guy drops it.  Every Patriot fan groans in his heart and says that you can't let opportunities like that go against this team.  You have to cash them in.

- The Bills give the Patriot fans a break by dropping some TD passes, but it doesn't matter because we score anyway (I can't tell how many times I felt that soul crushing when a break went our way against them, but it did not matter.)

- The Bills keep going for it on fourth down.  As an opposing team, you just feel so frustrated because it seems so hard to stop the Patriots...err Bills...and when you finally think you might have, they go for it and you didn't.

- The Patriots, not long ago, outsmarted us on special teams and did an all out rush without covering the gunner and getting a block.  Today, we outsmart the Patriots on special teams by having the up man throw that pass.

- The Patriots, obviously down and in trouble and with time running out in the half - in need of a score, run the ball again and again.  The Patriot fan shakes his head and says, what are you doing?

- The Bills score on every possession (except the kneel down).

It is like I am having some kind of out of body experience.

I will be nervous in the second half because that is my way.  Let me rephrase that - This Is The Way.  But how many times I have watched this game from the other side and I went in to halftime with that glimmer of hope....we sort of hung with them for awhile, but I knew there really wasn't a chance...and the other team just pulled away or didn't take us too seriously in the second half.

(EDIT - I added...and with time running out in the half)

I didn’t notice you don’t care about Gameday policy regarding starting new threads during games. I foolishly presumed lurkers see the pinned & locked thread EVERY SINGLE GAME. 🤦‍♂️

I’ve got my 👀 on you now! 😉

jk. Good post!

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Stroke 17 said:

And is anybody feeling sorry for Belicheat.  All the excuses by the ESPN crew about all that has gone wrong for the Pats fall on deaf years for Bills fans. When Belicheat threw the phone I i loved it,  Screw him. poor guy.

I have no idea what he was thinking with that challenge. Him and his son were right there where the catch happened and had a perfect view. Clear as day that knox had possession and both feet down. Who ever got in his ear and convinced him to challenge is probably scared to show up to work today. 

I imagine last summer when the MNF folks were scheduling this game someone in the room asked, "Are we sure we want this on Monday night? It could be a team that's already clinched the division playing someone who's been eliminated, with the potential for being a rout." Little did they know...

Edited by John Gianelli

46 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I didn’t notice you don’t care about Gameday policy regarding starting new threads during games. I foolishly presumed lurkers see the pinned & locked thread EVERY SINGLE GAME. 🤦‍♂️

I’ve got my 👀 on you now! 😉

jk. Good post!

I lurk from the main page with the articles on it and just click on forum threads as they pop up there on the right.  I also don't normally lurk during games.  I was just kind of overcome by what I was seeing and at half time I walked over to my grandpa box and posted.  :-)

I know you said jk, but the policy actually is a good one.  It makes sense to me.  If the urge comes upon me in future games, I will hold out until after the game I promise.  Thanks for not deleting the thread!