Davis Webb elevated from PS: our new backup QB?

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Buddo said:

At the time, I don't think he was. He almost had to get a chance. Trouble was, he completely blew it, and showed he wasn't ever likely to be an NFL caliber QB.

Just about everyone at the time, was incredibly down on Tyrod, and rightly so. Now that doesn't mean to say that many wanted to start Peterman, but there were enough who wanted to see if he could do anything - and that included McDermott.

Tbh, I think it was very much a situation like Gailey had with Edwards - practised like a champion, played like a loser. 'When the bullets fly' and all that.

Apart from the fact it was an unmitigated disaster starting Peterman over Tyrod, I never had a problem with it at that time. Thinking that Peterman was going to be a competent enough starter the next season, with Tyrod gone, and McCarron let go, was a whole different can of worms.

Good points. I'm happy to let my momentary thread hijack die now. 😀

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'd guess that calling up Webb, covers a lot of bases for McDermott, depending on how a variety of scenarios play out. Not least of which may be a reward for the work he's done on the PS, and in meeting rooms with the other QBs.

If you are thinking about pulling Allen from a game, to keep him safe, then you don't want to have to put him back in, if the regular backup gets crocked. Webb, at that point, can come in.

As per the above, it may be that you want to protect both of your QBs, so again, you could put Webb in for Allen directly.

I'm not predicting that it's going to happen, merely that it's a set of options that McDermott has given himself.

It's also possible that they have a play or two in mind for Webb to be on the field for - you never know what they are up to on offense these days.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Beast said:

They were probably banking on Brown and, since they released Kumerow, threw Webb a bone as all other units seem relatively healthy.

This.

They had an open roster spot, so they gave Webb some recognition for being a great teammate and PS member.  Also, if Allen is out due to the game being in the bag, they may prefer to go with Webb to "protect" Barkley.  You play Allen until the game is decided.  Then you protect him from injury.  You may also want to protect Barkley from injury.  I see nothing out there to say that Barkley isn't still the #2.  He lacks arm strength, but has experience and knows how to run an NFL offense.  He has even played OK when he's gotten the starters reps in practice.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Maybe. I could see a scenario where we get a good lead and you want to pull Josh, and don't want to have to put him back in if Barkley gets hurt.

I like that scenario ...

By the way - why aren't the Pats starting Stidham? It would be the natural thing to do the last couple games to see what he's got. Maybe Belichick wasn't really all that high on him after all.

Maybe they already know what he has got and know it isn't good enough.