Davis Webb elevated from PS: our new backup QB?

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

This is the coach who took a team on a playoff trajectory and started Nathan Peterman at QB. So it's not like he doesn't throw you a curve every now and then.

Tyrod’s play the two games before that earned him a benching. He had like 70 passing yards when the Bills played the Saints the week before the Chargers game. It didn’t work out with Peterman, but that doesn’t mean Tyrod didn’t need a wake up call.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Given that Webb has never thrown a pass in the NFL and is on his third team, I would say there's no basis for believing he'd be any better than Barkley.

And I have to imagine he's Barkley's backup, not replacement.

Meanwhile Jake Fromm sits in his anti-covid cocoon.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jlgarsh said:

Tyrod’s play the two games before that earned him a benching. He had like 70 passing yards when the Bills played the Saints the week before the Chargers game. It didn’t work out with Peterman, but that doesn’t mean Tyrod didn’t need a wake up call.

Oh, definitely it was time to look at any realistic option at that point of the season (5-4, coming off two completely inept offensive performance losses) for a little boost. Except that Nathan Peterman was kind of beyond "realistic"

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Meanwhile Jake Fromm sits in his anti-covid cocoon.

I want that job! Really, I'd be o.k. with just saying I'm an NFL QB. I don't need anyone to actually hit me or anything like that.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they are done with barkley

Do you really think that? Not saying you are wrong, but that if anything were to happen to Josh (heaven forbid) this season, that would be a really ballsy move by McDermott, to go to Webb. Wouldn't it?

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Time to move to on from the Vet QBs as BUs. And showcase young QBs to flip for assets. With Allen seemingly taking that Franchise QB step. Bills move to QB flipping mode. 

I think maybe folks are reading a bit too much into this.

It tells me that McD will sit Allen the moment he thinks the calculus swings toward "Allen Injury Avoidance" outweighs "Chance of Better Playoff Draw." And once he sit him, he sits him, with 2 other active QBs available. I don't think it says anything about Davis Webb that it wouldn't say about Josh Rosen or Brandon Allen or any of the other off-the-street FA QBs we could've signed instead.

• Like (+1) 1

Good chance that Webb will play next week and maybe tonight.   I expect Barkley still #2, but they want to limit risk to both Josh and Barkley.    Secondarily, it could be a reward to Webb for being a good soldier.   I have read that he has been a very good process guy since he got to Buffalo, especially in scout team and weathering all the BS everyone has had to endure with Covid. 

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Oh, definitely it was time to look at any realistic option at that point of the season (5-4, coming off two completely inept offensive performance losses) for a little boost. Except that Nathan Peterman was kind of beyond "realistic"

At the time, I don't think he was. He almost had to get a chance. Trouble was, he completely blew it, and showed he wasn't ever likely to be an NFL caliber QB.

Just about everyone at the time, was incredibly down on Tyrod, and rightly so. Now that doesn't mean to say that many wanted to start Peterman, but there were enough who wanted to see if he could do anything - and that included McDermott.

Tbh, I think it was very much a situation like Gailey had with Edwards - practised like a champion, played like a loser. 'When the bullets fly' and all that.

Apart from the fact it was an unmitigated disaster starting Peterman over Tyrod, I never had a problem with it at that time. Thinking that Peterman was going to be a competent enough starter the next season, with Tyrod gone, and McCarron let go, was a whole different can of worms.