Meaningless late season games

What a strange and wonderful feeling to have again!  Both this year, and to an extent last years as our WC spot was locked up a couple weeks before the season ended.

I recall late season games from my highschool days when the Bills won 4 straight AFC championships (that's how I prefer to remember it) that didnt matter in the standings.

I remember them not being boring but relaxing before the anxiety would get turned all the way up before the playoffs.

They were fun games because you could see the backups try to thwart other teams playoff chances to shine in their opportunities.  All the while knowing we were about to go play in the Superbowl tournament regardless of what happened.

The only stress is injuries but with the backups in that's even minimal.   

As far as I'm concerned pull the starters at the half tonight and let's enjoy some stress free football the next 2 weeks.   Go Bills!

Edited by Bills fan since 87
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

Not sure where or how this narrative that these games are “meaningless” began. It’s wrong.

If there was true home field advantage or a bye at stake I'd agree.  When your locked into a spot (like last year) or there is no real advantage at stake (like this year) I'd say the games hold little meaning outside our health.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Bills fan since 87 said:

If there was true home field advantage or a bye at stake I'd agree.  When your locked into a spot (like last year) or there is no real advantage at stake (like this year) I'd say the games hold little meaning outside our health.

ask the players and coaches if they’d rather have 1 or 2 guaranteed home games in the playoffs. Even this year.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Not sure where or how this narrative that these games are “meaningless” began. It’s wrong.

Maybe not meaningless, but the stress level is fairly low. It becomes more about having guys stay injury free than anything else. Great place to be, but not the same adrenaline rush, to say the least.

Bills have clinched the East and the Cheats got eliminated last week. It would have been greater if both happened this game ha ha. 

Edited by Jerome007
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Maybe not meaningless, but the stress level is fairly low. It becomes more about having guys stay injury free than anything else. Great place to be, but not the same adrenaline rush, to say the least.

Bills have clinched the East and the Cheats got eliminated last week. It would have been greater if both happened this game ha ha. 

you can absolutely say these games are low stress (comparatively). I’ve no issue with that and would agree with you 100%. But completely meaningless just isn’t accurate. Maybe it’s hyperbole. But there are plenty of things that can go well or poorly over these last 2 games.

I don’t understand the immense amount of fans that have no preference between the 2 and 3 seed. And it’s not just fans, it’s a good chunk of the Buffalo media as well. 

Sure, home field advantage isn’t as strong, if any strength at all, this year. I’ll give the crowd that, but what about the opportunity to push the Chiefs back to the AFC Championship Round? 

They’re the only team in the AFC that I believe is better than this Bills team, and maybe the only team in the NFL. 

Lock up the 2 seed and push back the potential matchup against an excellent KC team back one more week down the road. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

you can absolutely say these games are low stress (comparatively). I’ve no issue with that and would agree with you 100%. But completely meaningless just isn’t accurate. Maybe it’s hyperbole. But there are plenty of things that can go well or poorly over these last 2 games.

Poorly is the injuries. They better not happen.

I actually dislike this ha ha. The mindset is total fight mode normally, and now it's a preservation one. Not quite the same. At least, once the game starts, most players and fans go berserk. 

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

I agree with you.  Securing the #2 seed is far from meaningless.  Ensures two home playoff games if we win the first one.  Chance to knock a division foe out of the playoffs.  Less stressful, but these games are very, very important, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think, in terms of winning a Super Bowl, tonight is important. 

Most likely, anyone coming out of the AFC has to face KC at some point, but you don't want to face them in the Second Round, coming off a bye week.

As far as next week goes, I have no clue how McDermott will handle it.  If we think Steelers are laying down, I'm sure we will also.  If not, who knows how much value McD puts on guaranteed home field until the AFCCG and avoiding the perceived tougher WC team in Baltimore.

2 minutes ago, elijah said:

I don’t understand the immense amount of fans that have no preference between the 2 and 3 seed. And it’s not just fans, it’s a good chunk of the Buffalo media as well. 

Sure, home field advantage isn’t as strong, if any strength at all, this year. I’ll give the crowd that, but what about the opportunity to push the Chiefs back to the AFC Championship Round? 

They’re the only team in the AFC that I believe is better than this Bills team, and maybe the only team in the NFL. 

Lock up the 2 seed and push back the potential matchup against an excellent KC team back one more week down the road. 

Eh it doesn't matter what the fans or media think. Im sure McBeane will handle this the proper way (whatever that may be).

4 minutes ago, elijah said:

This, plus there are bad case scenarios where the Bills could fall to the 4 seed.

4 minutes ago, elijah said:

BOLD PREDICTION:

KC won't make it to AFCCG!

• Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Ugh.  This is about as wrong a narrative as it gets.  Being in the comfort of your own surroundings is 1000 times better than being on the road.  Period.  Second, there is nobody in the AFC that wants to play the Ravens right now.  Nobody.  They are at #6.  They aren't going backwards.  Because of that, getting the #2 seed means you avoid Baltimore in the first round.  It also likely means that Baltimore beats Pittsburgh in Round 1, and then goes on to play the Chiefs in Round 2, meaning we would most likely miss the best two teams in the AFC (other than the Bills) before the AFC Championship.  That's huge.  And don't think the coaches don't know it.  And throw all the rah rah garbage out about you have to play the best the be the best nonsense.  You actually don't always have to play the best to be the best.  Get the easiest possible road to the 'ship as possible.  The coaches no doubt are thinking the same way.  Even if Baltimore ends up #5, the playoffs then re-seed for Round two.  If all three favorites win in Round 1, plus Baltimore, the Ravens still go to KC in Round 2.  That would be perfect for us.

The #2 seed isn't meaningless.  It's everything.   Especially with Baltimore peaking at the moment.  We don't have a meaningless game left.  

Edited by Lv-Bills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

So, you'd rather play at Pittsburgh or at Tennessee in the playoffs instead of at home?

That makes zero sense.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Idk about meaningless, less stress absolutely.  With Pitt winning yesterday I would prefer us to win and maintaining the #2 seed. If KC slips up, which is possible because they haven't looked dominant over the past few weeks.  We could be looking at home field advantage through out the playoffs.  Plus it would be nice to put a beat down on the Pat's and fins.

Meaningless from the perspective of drought era Bills fans. But they are super meaningful for Superbowl contending teams. You want every advantage you can get in the playoffs. So that means going for the 2 seed. Don't settle for the 3 or 4 seed because that might come back to bite you.

No settling. Go get the wins and ensure you get the 2 seed. Now, if the Bills have it locked up before their week 17 game, feel free to rest starters.

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

What a strange and wonderful feeling to have again!  Both this year, and to an extent last years as our WC spot was locked up a couple weeks before the season ended.

I recall late season games from my highschool days when the Bills won 4 straight AFC championships (that's how I prefer to remember it) that didnt matter in the standings.

I remember them not being boring but relaxing before the anxiety would get turned all the way up before the playoffs.

They were fun games because you could see the backups try to thwart other teams playoff chances to shine in their opportunities.  All the while knowing we were about to go play in the Superbowl tournament regardless of what happened.

The only stress is injuries but with the backups in that's even minimal.   

As far as I'm concerned pull the starters at the half tonight and let's enjoy some stress free football the next 2 weeks.   Go Bills!

Tell that to a fringe roster player hoping to make some plays so that he might put something on tape for teams around the league to see during a game and earn himself a new contract.

Pretty sure he doesn't view it as meaningless.

Edited by Big Turk