"What's up" call to hike the ball

Old Coot

4 hours ago, Utah John said:

Is that what they're saying?  It always sounds like 180.  Either way, (1) I don't know what it means, and (2) a lot of teams have their QBs use that just before the ball is snapped. 

He has a few different ones, but his main one seems to be “white 80, ready-set.”  

You can also hear him go through a progression of “white 80,” “green 20,” “brown 80!”

There’s another one he uses, seemingly when he is under center, that I can’t decipher.  Here’s a good video of his snap cadences.

• Like (+1) 2

Little known fact: this started in the 60’s as a sponsorship from Warner Brothers to promote the  Looney Toons franchise. QB’s originally said “what’s up doc” as a reference to the line made famous by Bugs Bunny, but it was later abbreviated to “what’s up” because it flowed better.

Not really. I have no idea...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

He has a few different ones, but his main one seems to be “white 80, ready-set.”  

You can also hear him go through a progression of “white 80,” “green 20,” “brown 80!”

There’s another one he uses, seemingly when he is under center, that I can’t decipher.  Here’s a good video of his snap cadences.

One noticing:

Allen’s progression when on a late count is as follows...

White 80, set hut....

319, set hut....

Brown 80, set hut...

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Old Coot said:

Question for the coaches on the forum:

Why do so many QB's use the "what's up" call to hike the ball?  Why not a one word signal like "hut"?

If the ball is hiked on "what's" there is no need for "up"

If the ball isn't hiked until "up" the D line knows a split second in advance when the ball will be hiked.

What am I missing?

The term “hike” was replaced by “snap” in about 1972.  You snap the ball on the first syllable of the whatever the snap count is, and the snap count is called in the huddle.  Anything said after that snap is for deception.  

Line audibles and line play calls have there own keywords and they change them over the course of the game.  

Edited by Bob in STL

46 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

One noticing:

Allen’s progression when on a late count is as follows...

White 80, set hut....

319, set hut....

Brown 80, set hut...

Do you know this for a fact, or is this just what you’re hearing?  I hear “green 80” in the middle there, but am probably wrong 😂

What is his call when he’s under Center?  It’s different than the progression above and I can’t figure it out 🤔