Tua benched again - will start in Buffalo week 17

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

Flores is making a huge mistake with his constant benching. If Tagolavoa can't pick himself up off the ground himself, then he won't amount to much as a pro.

I disagree. He’s handling his rookie QB with kid gloves. He has this advantage because he has Fitz on call. It’s intelligent.

5 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Miami stinks I don’t care who they start just sayin

🤦‍♂️ No, they actually don’t. They’re developing a fine team across the board and have a plethora of high picks in the next Draft. Pay attention. Stay in school.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We rested players and it was still a 3-3 game until the 4Q.  We weren't playing to deliberately lose.

World of difference between saying "OK, we're going to hold these guy out and here's our plan to kick their butts anyway" vs saying "we're deliberately trying to lose this game"

Definitely.  Like when Pittsburgh's third string running back basically beat the Bills and knocked them out of the playoffs back in the Bledsoe era.

13 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Wonder how Tua will like the Sunday weather.  Around 32 degrees at kickoff, 12 mph wind off the lake.  Def not Hawaii or fall in Tuscaloosa

Remove your hat and stand silently at attention if you're going to invoke the hometown of that fine institute, suh!

😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

8 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Remove your hat and stand silently at attention if you're going to invoke the hometown of that fine institute, suh!

😁

Just the facts, he did play for the Crimson Tide, and doubt he ever played in weather like he will see next Sunday.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I feel like they are building a good team there in Miami and that they are coached well.  On the other hand I think Flores is a terrible coach for playing QB carousel.  Worst coaching I have ever seen.  You cannot say to your locker room after Fitz start that they are going to the rookie and then pull said rookie for Fitz every time they are down.  Most importantly that messes with the QBs, but it also doesn't send a good message to the team IMO.

They need to pick something... they are either a team that wants to win football games and make the playoffs or they are a team that wants to groom a rookie QB.  Can't do both and not have consequences.

That is exactly how they should be using Fitz.  Fitz goes very, very hot & cold so you use him as relief hitter or in football as swing tackle. 

He goes into game when game plan or QB is not effective and you need to change an element to have a chance at winning.

He is a gunslinger and will take chances other QBs will not take and despite what some say here is arm is better than they will admit.

Name another backup QB teams need to plan against?

But as starter he is a lot less effective IMO.

Tua is still trying to play the same style he did in Alabama, short throw that the WR will end up taking for a first town. Trying to find the exact stat, but from a couple sources it looks like 70 to 75% of the yards Tua "threw" for in 2019 came after the catch (highest in the nation). That is what we saw last night, he had two completions go for 10 yards or more, and one of them was 2 yards behind the LOS when caught. Tua still has NFL WRs to throw to, but the problem is NFL caliber players are on the other side of the ball for the first time. 

Is he a bust? I think it is too early to make call, but I do think he was way over hyped and I'm looking forward to our D getting a shot at a Tue led offence next week. Go Bills. 

Edited by Klaus
  • Like (+1) 1

So just for the slow amongst us, for Buffalo to have any chance to clinch the #2 seed this week, at a minimum Pittsburgh must lose, correct?  Just want to follow today correctly.  Then Browns or Green Bay need to win to lock it up, or almost lock it up baring a tie next week?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Certainly possible, but I doubt it.

Last year having nothing to play for in week, 17, Allen threw 5 passes before being replaced by Barkley.

I’ve stated this before and I don’t care how unorthodox this is.  If you want to give him downs, but aren’t really playing him, let Barkley start one series, then do Allen for whatever, and then put Barkley back in.

no reason in the world to be credited with a loss for two series of play.

I don’t see why starting Tua is controversial.  Flores is smart. He knows that Fitz is awesome coming in off the bench. He probably shouldn’t wait so long to get him in there if the offense is sputtering.  but he’s better coming off the bench and playing loose, than he is as a starter 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I don’t see why starting Tua is controversial.  Flores is smart. He knows that Fitz is awesome coming in off the bench. He probably shouldn’t wait so long to get him in there if the offense is sputtering.  but he’s better coming off the bench and playing loose, than he is as a starter 

Right.  And because has a low floor and relatively high ceiling, bringing him in when behind is sort of nothing to lose.  A whole game for Fitz is more likely to expose his deficiencies.  Coming in when behind in relief, the downside of Fitz becomes largely irrelevant. 

• Like (+1) 3

Tua has shown a mental toughness and strong team attitude in the games I’ve seen.  He didn’t go over to the sidelines and pout last night.  He was a team player.  

That’s about all he showed.  He had the awareness of Todd Collins, the arm strength of Joey Harrington and the gunslinging mentality of glove wearing Mary himself, Trent Edwards.  All of that has to change for him to get better.  I’m not saying it is impossible by any means, but it is uphill.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1