Tua benched again - will start in Buffalo week 17

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

If they all finish 13-3 the seeding would be 

1. KC 

2. Buffalo

3. Pitts

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in common games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss

9 minutes ago, Dafan said:

But in a three way tie it goes head to head.  Steelers didn't play KC.  So I believe it goes to next step which is division records.  KC would have 4-2 with steelers and bills being 5-1.

Division records is thrown out because the three teams are not in the same division. Next tie breaker would be conference record which would be a tie because each team would have one loss to an NFC team.

Bills would lose the SOV tiebreaker as of yesterday with the Saints gaining one more victory and further strengthening KC's SOV.

2 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

That's more dependant on whether or not Tennessee wins. If the Titans beat GB, we won't be able to rest our starters in wk 17

Correct, well said, but I contend nor should we.  We don’t want to be the Dungy one and done, by resting healthy players vs. them staying in rhythm.  If we have injured people, fine, but rest for the sake of rest is not good.  I hate to use BB, but I can see having a,l starters that are healthy playing the first half, then start slowly taking some players out like Brown, Milano, White, Edmunds, and Allen.  They’ve been banged up for parts of the season.  Besides Sal even pointed out TR we don’t have that many players on the roster as your can’t elevate you’re entire practice squad.  For example we only have I think 8 or 9 O Lineman so that won’t work.

12 minutes ago, Dafan said:

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in common games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss

Thanks, now my head hurts. 

49 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

To be fair Fitzpatrick is playing with the same recievers.  With Fitz they have a NFL offense.  With Tua its a dumpster fire.  Miami has to win mythodicaly.  I get being scared of bad Fitz.  When the game is slipping away who cares if there are picks.  Out of the rookie Qbs who played Tua is above Danuzzi and below everyone else.

Fitz is great in small doses but if he plays in a full game(s) his flaws rise to the top. Benching Tua twice in one season hardly screams future franchise qb for Miami?  I feel alot better about our success in the afce knowing the Jets won't be getting TL and Tua could end up a bust?

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well...Allen and D-Dawk of course.  John Miller, believe it or don't (Carolina).  Zay Jones.  Not starting but McCoy still playing (Tampa).

Parker, Gesicki, and Gaskin for Miami are all good players.  And frankly Fitzpatrick is a better QB (not player, QB) than Allen was in 2018.

As a whole, the Miami offense is 16th in the league for points.  The 2018 Bills offense was 30th in the league for points.   There is no way to construct a reasonable argument that the Bills 2018 offense was better or had more talent than Miami's offense this year.

Fitzpatrick is a better QB than Tua this year.  Flores wants to win, but this business of pulling Tua whenever the going gets tough - I don't see how that's going to work for either Flores or for Tua in the long term.  However you "spin" it the message to both Tua and to the team is "we don't trust you to rev up your clutch gene and pull it out when the going gets tough"

48 minutes ago, eball said:

Yep. What exactly is the message to this Fish team?

”Tua is our guy, except when we are behind in the 2nd half because we know he’s not clutch. But after Fitz gives us a spark and chance to win don’t get too comfortable because Tua is our guy next week.”

Flores is trying to have his cake and eat it to, refuses to focus on whatever is most important to him or can't make up his mind. Does he want to develop Tua or does he want to win no matter what.

Dolphins have a solid team and Flores wants to give the guys a chance to make a run.  I don't think his bullpen usage of Fitz does long-term damage to Tua, so long as he's clearly communicating behind the scenes with his QBs about where they stand.

Also, I want the Dolphins to win next week to avoid Baltimore.  I really don't care who we get besides them, but it would suck pretty hard to go 13-3, get a 2 seed and then have to face a red hot Ravens team, who is at worst, the third best team in the conference.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

Also, I want the Dolphins to win next week to avoid Baltimore.  I really don't care who we get besides them, but it would suck pretty hard to go 13-3, get a 2 seed and then have to face a red hot Ravens team, who is at worst, the third best team in the conference.

I was surprised to see that Baltimore has a number of different ways they can get in if they win out. In fact, they can finish as high as the 5th seed. Either of the Browns or Colts finishing 1-1 would get the Ravens in. 

I honestly don’t know what Flores is thinking.  He clearly has a better shot to make the playoffs if Fitz is starting.  It’s kind of not fair as of all positions, the QB situation is most difficult for a rookie with no pre-season.  Get in the dance by trying to win with Fitz.  Let Tua learn and take his shot next year.  Besides Flores is messing with the guy’s head by benching him multiple times.  Stick with him or don’t.

It's got to be hard on the whole team too. The skill position players, the defense, everyone. They all see how much better the offense moves the ball down the field with Fitz. Why bust your ass for this coach for an entire half trying to keep a game close waiting for Fitz to come in so you can win by 3? Start Fitz from  the get go and you can have some nice numbers for your next contract and maybe not have to play the final few minutes of the game with a  comfortable lead.

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Tua can't complete a pass beyond 10 yards.  So you play press man and rush 5-6 on every play.  He won't stand a chance.  We're lucky Flores is an idiot.  Fitz would at least force us to defend the whole field.

Tua is terrible! I just don’t get why he’s so hyped.

Oh well, good for us. Keep believing in a below average quarterback.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Fitz is great in small doses but if he plays in a full game(s) his flaws rise to the top. Benching Tua twice in one season hardly screams future franchise qb for Miami?  I feel alot better about our success in the afce knowing the Jets won't be getting TL and Tua could end up a bust?

And the Pats are stuck with no good QB either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Correct, well said, but I contend nor should we.  We don’t want to be the Dungy one and done, by resting healthy players vs. them staying in rhythm.  If we have injured people, fine, but rest for the sake of rest is not good.  I hate to use BB, but I can see having a,l starters that are healthy playing the first half, then start slowly taking some players out like Brown, Milano, White, Edmunds, and Allen.  They’ve been banged up for parts of the season.  Besides Sal even pointed out TR we don’t have that many players on the roster as your can’t elevate you’re entire practice squad.  For example we only have I think 8 or 9 O Lineman so that won’t work.

Yeah I’m in the keeping the starters playing regardless group. The fear of injury to key position players is understandable. But I’m in the keep the momentum going group. Whoever we play in the first round be it the Ravens, Titans or Dolphins is who we play. Whatever happened before is irrelevant concerning teams we already played, that includes KC. Allen has already shown he’s a prime time performer. If the defense steps up close to his level, this will be a deep playoff run

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Tua is going to bust. He's hot garbage. Can't wait, so I can see the Alabama fans here make excuses.

Traaaaash

If Tua busts, that will end up being an epic failure on the Dolphins, even with all of Houston’s picks. What’ll be funnier is Fitz signing with the Bills after this year for a backup role.

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

If things break our way, and we have nothing to play for, I’d be shocked if he plays our top guys.

Certainly possible, but I doubt it.

Last year having nothing to play for in week, 17, Allen threw 5 passes before being replaced by Barkley.

10 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

It's just funny you know?

Name an Alabama QB that's done anything in the NFL. Joe Namath?

It's super easy to win when you are surrounded with more talent than your opposition at Vanderbilt or Mississippi State. 

WHOLE other animal at the NFL level.

Good luck, noodlearm Tua. Godspeed.

Tua’s personality showed when he made a comment saying the NFL wasn’t as hard as he thought. While many praise Flores for what he’s doing in Miami, compared to Saban in college, Flores is nothing. Tua had that luxury in college, but at the pro level, he has a very steep mountain to climb 

26 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

It's just funny you know?

Name an Alabama QB that's done anything in the NFL. Joe Namath?

It's super easy to win when you are surrounded with more talent than your opposition at Vanderbilt or Mississippi State. 

WHOLE other animal at the NFL level.

Good luck, noodlearm Tua. Godspeed.

Jalen Hurts.

Richard Todd, Ken Stabler, Joe Namath. And Bart Starr. Which amounts to four Super Bowl championship starters and two very promising young guns.

But that's the wrong question. Name an Alabama QB between Tua and those early guys who built up enough expectations to be drafted as high. There aren't many.

What school you come from has far less to do in terms of predicting QB success than do the skills you showed there.

For Tua specifically, it's too early to tell. Far too early. Allen looked pretty bad his first year too. Plenty of QBs who later turned out to be very very good looked bad as rooks.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Richard Todd, Ken Stabler, Joe Namath. And Bart Starr.

But that's the wrong question. Name an Alabama QB between Tua and those early guys who built up enough expectations to be drafted as high. I don't think there are any.

What school you come from has far less to do in terms of predicting QB success than do the skills you showed there.

For Tua specifically, it's too early to tell. Far too early. Allen looked pretty bad his first year too.

Great game. No doubt Fitz scares me way more than Tua. Tua just looks like a left handed version of Tyrod to me. Plus people keep talking about his lack of turnovers but he got real lucky on a couple last night.

It'll be interesting with this constant benching whether Tua starts forcing it down the field more to try and make bigger plays. I hope so as he doesn't have a very good arm