December 26, 1964 & December 26, 1965 Do You Remember?

Chandler#81

I was lucky enough to be at the 1964 game at the old rock pile. It was my 2nd year with season tix and my dad and I didn’t miss a game until I left for college in 1972. Great game, and I remember rushing home afterward for a family holiday get-together. I was 9-years old. 😀

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Drove to a Holiday Inn, S of Rochester, right off the Thruway, got a room and watched it there IN COLOR!!

At the end of the game, turned out that there were a lot of us there, doing the same thing.  It was a tailgate before any of us knew what that was!

GOOD Times!

That's how I got hooked on the BILLS.  I was young and thought we'd see this every year!:worthy:  :doh::doh::doh::doh:....etc...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

My earliest Bills Memory was 1967 but I believe my dad RIP was at the game

watched the footage and a few random observations

- who was the genius who decided  the goal posts should be in the middle of the field

- loved the ref's red uniforms - they must have come straight from  a barbership quartet to ref the game

QUESTION: How do you think the championship teams would do against University of Alabama?

I think bama would destroy them because

- players are much bigger and stronger today

- players in 64 could not match the speed to today's players

Can't remember which of those years but the game was at the Rockpile, frozen field, and the BILLS hired a helo from Prior Aviation, to descend over the frozen field, and fly over trying to thaw the field.  Don't think that worked very well, because they didn't clean away the straw layer, that was already there, and the downdraft from the rotors threw the straw all over the stadium, Jefferson & Northhampton streets too. 

Can't find any story from the News archive but I do remember the pic of the Bell helicopter flying about 20' above the playing field surface.   Maybe it was from the Courier Express?

• Haha (+1) 1

• 7 months later...

I was searching for another thread and found this thread.  I don't recall seeing it last year. 

Those games were great.  I was at 64 and watched 65.   The game has changed so much since then, but the thrill is the same.  

As the old timers recall, fans in Buffalo in the late 50s were either Browns fans or Giants fans, depending on which team you watched every week - Channel 2 or Chane 4.   For us Browns fans, 64 was magical - go to the stadium and watch the Bills win the title against the Chargers, then sit at home Sunday and watch the Browns beat the Colts.  Two upsets.  Two definitive wins.   Bills would have won a Super Bowl that year.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/26/2020 at 5:06 PM, HOUSE said:

My father was not born yet

Mine was on his way to Nam. I wasn’t thought of yet. Lol

On 12/27/2020 at 10:54 AM, F.W. Cyclone said:

Nope, I was born in May of 1965 but this is very interesting to me and I wish I could have been there.

Three years later for me…same month

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I was searching for another thread and found this thread.  I don't recall seeing it last year. 

Those games were great.  I was at 64 and watched 65.   The game has changed so much since then, but the thrill is the same.  

As the old timers recall, fans in Buffalo in the late 50s were either Browns fans or Giants fans, depending on which team you watched every week - Channel 2 or Chane 4.   For us Browns fans, 64 was magical - go to the stadium and watch the Bills win the title against the Chargers, then sit at home Sunday and watch the Browns beat the Colts.  Two upsets.  Two definitive wins.   Bills would have won a Super Bowl that year.   

I’ve actually had this argument a number of times. ‘64 was a bad year for the Packers so the NFL was basically reduced to Johnny U & Jim Brown. But just as the Pack held Brown to 35 yards rushing in a  playoff game, I’m convinced we would have as well. Our Defense was Second to None that year. 

37 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’ve actually had this argument a number of times. ‘64 was a bad year for the Packers so the NFL was basically reduced to Johnny U & Jim Brown. But just as the Pack held Brown to 35 yards rushing in a  playoff game, I’m convinced we would have as well. Our Defense was Second to None that year. 

Yeah, I was an enormous Jim Brown fan, and it hurts to say it, but I think the Bills defense was stopping everyone that year.  

53 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I was an enormous Jim Brown fan, and it hurts to say it, but I think the Bills defense was stopping everyone that year.  

At this time, our Defense was in the midst of a 17 game streak not allowing a rushing touchdown. 
It’s worth repeating their names:

Day, Dunaway, McDole, Sestak 

Jacobs, Tracey, Stratton

Byrd, Edgerson 

Yannick, Saimes

-and Joe Collier, who was a neighbor of mine then. I had the schoolboy ‘warm’s’ for his daughter and walked her home from school. Their blue, family station wagon had Buffalo Bills all over it. I told her I’d like to meet him, but she said ‘he’s always busy in the basement watching film.. I shoulda pushed my luck🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1