Josh Gordon has another substance abuse setback. Back on Commissioners Exempt List.

Big Turk

6 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Well it can't be weed that's not illegal there and I don't think the League is getting after that anymore.

They agreed to stop suspending for low levels of weed for players not already in a substance abuse program. 

Those already identified- it is still tested and suspendible at original levels.

Not sure how this impacts Josh.  They said he did not fulfill his reinstatement requirements- that may mean another positive test, it could mean he skipped certain mandatory counseling meetings, it could mean he was seen out with certain individuals or at certain clubs that were on his banned list because of access to drugs.

I did not hear exactly what provision was broken and it sounded based on what I heard that he could get reinstated once those provisions were meet. 

5 hours ago, NickelCity said:

It sounds like Carrol said he might be able to play in week 16...are we jumping to conclusions?

2 hours ago, ColeB said:

No more chances for this guy.  He needs to be banned for life.  He can’t even get thru the evaluation period for reinstatement.

@NickelCity - totally agree - I heard he did not meet the requirements placed in his reinstatement plan - that could simply mean he missed or did not have enough counseling meetings or missed a meeting with the NFL and those had to be made up.  It did not sound like a relapse necessarily back into drugs based on the article I read and what I heard.

@ColeB - I agree that he has already had to many chances, but until I hear more info on this - I am not jumping to the ban him for life until I hear exactly what the situation was.  I think the lifetime ban should have come on failure/suspension #3 or 4 in Cleveland or NE.  

What I do not think is fair is if they reinstatement him week 16 or week 17 of this year.  I think the NFL should keep him on the list through the summer and let him start 2021 if they are letting him back in. 

4 hours ago, Maybe Someday said:

Hope he finally overcome his demons before it’s too late. 

This ^^^ It’s time to look way beyond his football career and remember the guy is a human being. He clearly is fighting and losing. At some point this will probably cost him his life not just his career.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

It really is just sad at this point. If you know a true addict, this is not a surprise. My hope for him is that some day he realizes his problem and surrenders to the help he needs. This is not a football issue, it is a life and death issue. I pray for Josh Gordon, all you who love someone like him know the heartache. 

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1

• Big Turk changed the title to Josh Gordon has another substance abuse setback. Back on Commissioners Exempt List.

Dude must have it bad !! It's like he has this HUGE pile of money sitting right there in front of him because he is such a good receiver but he just can't get over the demon's that's terrible i don't know how many more chances they will be willing to give this guy that's just terrible !!! 

Just now, T master said:

Dude must have it bad !! It's like he has the potential to get paid this HUGE pile of money and it's sitting right there in front of him because he is such a good receiver but he just can't get over the demon's that's terrible i don't know how many more chances they will be willing to give this guy that's just terrible !!! 

I met him briefly through one of my clients when he was with the Browns and on his first suspension.  He seemed to be a very bright guy, but looking back on it he had the usual excuse:  He tested positive for marijuana because he was with his brother who was smoking it.  

It's a shame because when he was focused on football he was one of the best receivers in the league.  At this point it seems like all these extra chances may be helping to enable the addiction (although that's not the NFL's fault).  Usually with an addiction this severe the person has to hit bottom before they can really start to recover, if they can survive the bottom.  Addiction is such a complex mixture of physical and psychological dependence that it takes years to overcome, if at all.

1 hour ago, gobillsinytown said:

I met him briefly through one of my clients when he was with the Browns and on his first suspension.  He seemed to be a very bright guy, but looking back on it he had the usual excuse:  He tested positive for marijuana because he was with his brother who was smoking it.  

It's a shame because when he was focused on football he was one of the best receivers in the league.  At this point it seems like all these extra chances may be helping to enable the addiction (although that's not the NFL's fault).  Usually with an addiction this severe the person has to hit bottom before they can really start to recover, if they can survive the bottom.  Addiction is such a complex mixture of physical and psychological dependence that it takes years to overcome, if at all.

Came on here to say exactly this. Hopefully he survives long enough to see rock bottom, cause he cant change without it.  Can take longer for a guy like this to hit rock bottom, than the average guy, which is dangerous.  Personally it took a failed suicide attempt and a resulting amputation to find mine, been clean about a year from it.  I wouldnt trade that event for anything.  The best thing the league could do for him is a permanent ban.  Hes always been the guy that can skate around responsibility for his actions because of talent, and the league is enabling him.  Goodell is gunna have blood on his hands

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 12/23/2020 at 11:14 PM, jeremy2020 said:

I think the chances are over now.

I keep saying that but he always gets another. If this was any other player who wouldnt have been able to return many chances ago... i dont get it... there are players who havent been able to reurn for way less.

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2020 at 6:32 PM, MJS said:

I'm just surprised teams have still been giving him chances. He shouldn't be banned for life, but giving him a shot means cutting someone else who WON'T get suspended every year.

He has the talent to get away with this crap. 

Most player don't.

If you are going to be this kind of pain in the ass to pro sports teams, you can't just be really good, you have to be great.

Guys like Gordon will get 1,000 chances until the league has decided he just can't do it.

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

My nephew works at one vape/weed/bong shops and got some really good stuff. I’ve never really smoked weed but I tried some of the Obama Kush and the Afgoo and it was rediculous. 

Address?

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Most player don't.

If you are going to be this kind of pain in the ass to pro sports teams, you can't just be really good, you have to be great.

Guys like Gordon will get 1,000 chances until the league has decided he just can't do it.

Yeah and he basically costs nothing at this point. The dude could have been a monster. When he is older, it will really hit hard. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Most player don't.

He hasn't done anything special on the field in 7 years...

They are going to give up eventually.