Mel Kiper, Jr. as GM candidate? Yeah, it's possible.

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Again, follow along here:

The greatest contributor to an NFL team's long term success is player evaluation and, more specifically, offensive talent at the QB position.

Who was the only analyst to really support Josh Allen, who saw through his "accuracy" issues and evaluated him as a high ceiling guy? Mel Kiper, Jr.

Below is a list of just a few experts who laughed at Kiper. Even his contemporary Todd McShay didn't have Allen as the best QB of the 2018 draft.

So Mike Mayock gets a gig as a GM for the Raiders...but was never "wowed by Allen" like he was with Carson Wentz. Hmmmm

If Mayock can be a GM, so can Mel "Freakin" Kiper. Would be a nice fit for the Jags, Jets, or Lions. He can select QB's and that's half the battle.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/vincentfrank/2018/04/21/2018-nfl-draft-selecting-josh-allen-would-be-a-fatal-mistake-for-the-cleveland-browns/?sh=24eb657119e7 (Allen a Fatal Mistake)

https://buffalowdown.com/2018/04/25/2018-nfl-draft-why-the-bills-should-pass-on-josh-allen/ (Paolo Sattile)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2767039-mel-kiper-2018-nfl-mock-draft-josh-allen-to-browns-amid-sam-darnold-rumors  (Kiper the only one to evaluate Allen properly)

TV personalities are becoming GM's...Mayock, Louis Riddick, etc.

Fire away Armchair GM's...after you blow the dust off your Josh Rosen jerseys.

Is this the new “hear me out!” ???

• Haha (+1) 4

Florio had an interesting point about these "TV" GMs like Lynch and Mayock and Riddick potentially the other day. 

They are fits with teams who want to go for an all powerful coach model because NFL teams don't have to let you interview their personnel guys unless the "GM" role for which they are interviewing comes with control of the draft and the 53. So if you are San Fran or Vegas and have already given that control to your Head Coach you options for GM from within the league can be more limited. 

That said, I don't expect any team would be willing to suffer the ridicule that would come with hiring Kiper. Mayock and Lynch were at least football players at one point themselves. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

The greatest contributor to an NFL team's long term success is player evaluation and, more specifically, offensive talent at the QB position.

Who was the only analyst to really support Josh Allen, who saw through his "accuracy" issues and evaluated him as a high ceiling guy? Mel Kiper, Jr.

Below is a list of just a few experts who laughed at Kiper. Even his contemporary Todd McShay didn't have Allen as the best QB of the 2018 draft.

So Mike Mayock gets a gig as a GM for the Raiders...but was never "wowed by Allen" like he was with Carson Wentz. Hmmmm

If Mayock can be a GM, so can Mel "Freakin" Kiper. Would be a nice fit for the Jags, Jets, or Lions. He can select QB's and that's half the battle.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/vincentfrank/2018/04/21/2018-nfl-draft-selecting-josh-allen-would-be-a-fatal-mistake-for-the-cleveland-browns/?sh=24eb657119e7 (Allen a Fatal Mistake)

https://buffalowdown.com/2018/04/25/2018-nfl-draft-why-the-bills-should-pass-on-josh-allen/ (Paolo Sattile)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2767039-mel-kiper-2018-nfl-mock-draft-josh-allen-to-browns-amid-sam-darnold-rumors  (Kiper the only one to evaluate Allen properly)

I rank Todd McShay’s talent evaluation higher than I do Kiper. Plus, I think McS could be had on the cheap and he has more years to give (younger).

Edited by Beerball
  • Like (+1) 1

That would be about a sane as the  Walterfootball guys as GM candidates ;) 

I remember all the hate they had for Travis Kelce in his draft year and haven't been back since

Some guys talk a good game like Mayock...ignores his secondary and gets an $8m BU QB sure he came in and played well but a 6m vet at corner would have helped them all year

EJ probably doesn't retire and stays at less than $2m

Again, why are people under-estimating Louis Riddick in this thread? He has 12 years of experience in NFL Front Offices. And not just low-level jobs.

As executive:

It's like calling Jon Gruden a TV analyst turned coach.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

That would be about a sane as the  Walterfootball guys as GM candidates ;) 

I remember all the hate they had for Travis Kelce in his draft year and haven't been back since

Some guys talk a good game like Mayock...ignores his secondary and gets an $8m BU QB sure he came in and played well but a 6m vet at corner would have helped them all year

EJ probably doesn't retire and stays at less than $2m

EJ? He had left and signed for the Chiefs before he retired 2 years ago. 

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Again, why are people under-estimating Louis Riddick in this thread? He has 12 years of experience in NFL Front Offices. And not just low-level jobs.

As executive:

It's like calling Jon Gruden a TV analyst turned coach.

I am talking about Mad Mel.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

EJ? He had left and signed for the Chiefs before he retired 2 years ago. 

My mistake I thought he was with the Raiders until he retired.

1 hour ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Chris Simms loved Josh too

His dad Phil Simms too.   Loved Allen,,, even when the other CBS crew laughed at him saying he's too much of a raw project to earn #7 overall.  Phil stood his ground.

• Like (+1) 1

I sense a lot of jealousy and envy in this thread. Other than @GoBills808, myself, @mrags and Mel Kiper, Jr., not one of you preachers had Josh Allen at the top of the draft. I’m obviously not qualified to act as GM (I scout WR’s and QB’s as a hobby). But Kiper can’t do any worse than Mayock or the venerable Louis Riddick (who once worked with the powerful Redskins 5-11 teams)

• Awesome! (+1) 2

4 hours ago, zow2 said:

His dad Phil Simms too.   Loved Allen,,, even when the other CBS crew laughed at him saying he's too much of a raw project to earn #7 overall.  Phil stood his ground.

Phil is a big film guy.  He wouldn't offer an opinion without film study.  The people who watched tapes of Josh had a totally different opinion of Josh than the ones who looked at stats.  Beane looked at every game Josh played, that & the 3 interviews as well as the phone call the afternoon of the draft where Josh explained the teen Tweets was probably a lot more than most of the GMs and all of the amateurs who do draft writeups did. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

After reading the Forbes article, I will say this, having the 1st overall pick become a bust is much worse than the #7 pick becoming a bust.  Was more risk for Cleveland as Allen was likeliest the riskiest selection, he certainly had the most potential upside, but also the most risk.  At #7, not so tough a choice to make.