Chiefs now have 2 preseason games and a bye week

BisonMan

KC doesn’t need to win another game to get the #1 seed in the AFC.

They can treat the next 2 games like preseason matches before the first round bye. 

They can rest anyone they want for the next 3 weeks. That’s scary for everyone else. I really hope the Bills treat week 17 as a preseason game regardless of their seeding. They’ll want everyone healthy before trying to win 4 in a row in order to get Josh the T-shirt he wants! 😬

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

They can treat the next 2 games like preseason matches before the first round bye. 

They can rest anyone they want for the next 3 weeks. That’s scary for everyone else. I really hope the Bills treat week 17 as a preseason game regardless of their seeding. They’ll want everyone healthy before trying to win 4 in a row in order to get Josh the T-shirt he wants! 😬

Incorrect 

KC can lose the #1 seed with that attitude 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

Um, I think if we win both & Pit wins both & KC loses both, we all end up 13-3 & we would be the top seed by virtue of a better conference record.  Admittedly, very slim but they haven't locked 1st seed yet.

This is still a possibility, but it's a bit more complicated.  We'd be tied on conference record and it would come down to strength of victory.  KC is currently ahead in SOV, a few games that other teams are playing would have to swing the right way for us to get ahead.  That's why we preferred a KC loss to NO instead of ATL.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

Um, I think if we win both & Pit wins both & KC loses both, we all end up 13-3 & we would be the top seed by virtue of a better conference record.  Admittedly, very slim but they haven't locked 1st seed yet.

That ship sailed last week.  Actually if all three tied at 11-3, conference records would also be all tied at 10-2.  Not enough common games between all three so comes down to Strength of Victory which about 98% certain KC now has the edge.  IF KC had instead lost this week to Saints and final week to Chargers to still end up 13-3,  and 10-2 conference then we'd have come out on top based on Strength of Victory , but once they beat Saints, they now have the #1 overall regardless what anyone else does.

Basically losing to Saints would have hurt them more than losing to Atlanta.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BisonMan said:

This is the thinking that brought legendary HOF HC Tony Dungy to 4 one and done playoff appearances (out of 7), despite loaded teams.

Champions never rest.

• Like (+1) 1

BTW, I’m not recommending the Chiefs purposely lose games or rest all starters completely. I think they can treat these like preseason games (for example: have healthy starters only play the first half). They’ll have a full bye week as well.

I’d happily have the Bills trade places with them!

They had a boatload of rust last year after a bye.  Maybe they won't get lucky this year. 

6 minutes ago, Success said:

Anyone remember when the Jags were new to the league, and Denver had a similar layoff before they faced Jacksonville in the division round?

That goes back a ways - but teams can get rusty.  Here's hoping.

This.  They had it last year.  They should have lost divisional round. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BisonMan said:

There is a chance 0.1% that the Bills get the #1 seed.  The scenario is this:

• Bills win out
  • Steelers win out
  • KC loses out
  • Several of the teams that the Bills beat (including the Jets) win giving us a higher strength of victory
  • Several of the teams that KC beat lose giving them a lower strength of victory

I am still holding out hope, but not really.

Edited by Rock'em Sock'em
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is the thinking that brought legendary HOF HC Tony Dungy to 4 one and done playoff appearances (out of 7), despite loaded teams.

Champions never rest.

Exactly.  Do NFL fans actually watch the NFL?  Some TBD threads make ya wonder...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

Anyone remember when the Jags were new to the league, and Denver had a similar layoff before they faced Jacksonville in the division round?

That goes back a ways - but teams can get rusty.  Here's hoping.

It was the same year they beat the Bills in Buffalo (Kelly's last game as a Buffalo Bill) and then went to Denver and knocked out Elway before losing in the AFC Championship game.