My biggest issue with the demise of the Patriots dynasty when it comes to the media

streetkings01

Just now, JMF2006 said:

Have you ever watched a Lions game?

I watched plenty over the years and Stafford is the king of garbage time.

When the games on the line he can't get it done then they get down two scores and then  he lights it up.

Stafford. Never had a good coach, never had a good defense. 

He might not be the best, but he will be miles better than Cam.

I think any decent aging QB will put the Pats in a decent spot.

9 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

They know the Pats cheat. They know that, because of the pandemic, they couldnt cheat this year. They know that next year they will be able to cheat again. So they are plenty comfortable in starting the predictions for their return to the elite. Belichick knew it too obviously. That's why he was so willing to write the season off even before it started 

Not denying they have cheated, but how did the pandemic stop them from cheating?

• Like (+1) 1

They were bad at the end of last year with #12 and they had more starters opt out than anyone else. They'd have been better with Tom than Cam, sure. But with the rest of this roster and the strength of the AFC still not convinced they'd have made the playoffs. Put Tom back and leave everything else unchanged they probably go 8-8 or 9-7.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, SCBills said:

How is this even close to comparable?

First off, NE can't draft WR's and when they tried to trade for one, Belichick sent a 2nd out the door for Sanu.  No more discounts for upper echelon WR's coming to NE without Brady.

Second, yes, they lost some players on defense, but we also lost Star and DB depth, while playing half the season with no linebackers.

Someone said it perfectly last night before MNF.... The Pats are just another team now.  They are searching for a QB, like everyone else.  They have some good players and weak areas, like everyone else...

I think this makes a key point no one is making.

The patriots got to sign people at a discount because of Tom Brady being there and they got to play with the goat.

Will this continue now ? Not sure. But if I was a skill player, I would avoid.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Have you ever watched a Lions game?

I watched plenty over the years and Stafford is the king of garbage time.

When the games on the line he can't get it done then they get down two scores and then  he lights it up.

Hence the name Stat Padford

• Haha (+1) 2

Whatever guys.  All I know is New England's cheat-filled dominance of the AFC East is now over.  It's like they were that guy in high school who pretended to be a nice guy to all the teachers but was really a bully and cheated on all his tests, has moved away. 

As for Marcia Brady - it's really pretty annoying that he's still being referred to (even here) as the GOAT after all of his cheating was exposed; The dude was an EXTREMELY LOW 6th round draft pick who somehow miraculously ascends to all these wins out of nowhere....it was BECAUSE OF the rigged system that they had in New England.  All the spying, throwing deflated balls, he wouldn't turn over his cell phone, he had an extra radio frequencey in his helmet throughout entire plays!!! 

Edited by Irish Dave
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

And that trash roster was one Cam Newton fumble away from at least forcing OT if not a loss a month ago. Bills are by far the superior team and they are playing at such a high level now even compared to a month ago. But I would not discount them so easily nor that Dolphins defense that made Cam look so bad. 

That Cheaters roster also almost lost to the Jets.  With division rivals, anything can happen.  Just look at last night.

32 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I mean...a full team and say...Stafford next season. Find some sort of talent at the WR position. 

They will be in the wildcard race next season.

Stafford's contract makes trading him almost impossible.  And they have no one to replace him with anyway.  Any QBs available to the Cheats will be little better than Cam.

1 hour ago, streetkings01 said:

They downplay the loss of Tom Brady.  They talk about the Patriots as if Brady was never there.  Watching GMF now and they have Scott Pioli there......he thinks the players opting out is what held them back this season and feels that a good draft and getting those players back will help the Patriots make another Super Bowl run.  After watching the Pats this season it's clear that Brady the bigger part of their success.  Not once have I seen someone in the media admit that the loss of Brady was huge for the Pats instead they seem to have felt the Pats were going to continue the Patriot way regardless if #12 was there.  I'm thinking it'll take next year when they go 9-7 at best before it really starts to sink in.

The Qb is the difference of having a chance at the playoffs or having a chance at the superbowl.  Ne is about to enter purgetory unless Bill is willing to swallow his pride and over pay for a Qb.  I dont think he is.  He thinks he will out smart everyone for a qb.  That doesnt happen.

New England finished last season losing 5 of 9, with Brady and before opt outs. They weren't remotely close to the top level AFC teams at the end of 2019. There would have been no reason to run it back with Brady and think anything would get better. Obviously their record would have been better this year with Brady, but that wouldn't have advanced the long term interest of the team. 

Re: Pioli's comments, I don't think he recognizes how loaded the AFC is with young QB talent. The conference is stacked and it will likely be adding Lawrence and Fields.

As for New England, I think letting Brady go was the right football move from the long term perspective, but there are signs that the franchise is starting to drift. Kraft has slipped, they let the cap become a problem, Belichick has hired his sons, and a lot of the top level assistants have left. It's hard to think that leading the league in opt outs (by a wide margin) was a coincidence.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve written this before, but it is worth noting again, Belichick is going to stay forever. Another year or two of losing, which is more likely than them finding above average QB, and I think he calls it a career. He is a micro manager, he is GM, head coach, defensive coordinator and offensive coordinator. When he leaves that franchise will crash and burn. Kraft striking gold a second time is unlikely. When Belichick is gone there will be nothing left but sycophants, Kraft and his son.

2 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

They downplay the loss of Tom Brady.  They talk about the Patriots as if Brady was never there.  Watching GMF now and they have Scott Pioli there......he thinks the players opting out is what held them back this season and feels that a good draft and getting those players back will help the Patriots make another Super Bowl run.  After watching the Pats this season it's clear that Brady the bigger part of their success.  Not once have I seen someone in the media admit that the loss of Brady was huge for the Pats instead they seem to have felt the Pats were going to continue the Patriot way regardless if #12 was there.  I'm thinking it'll take next year when they go 9-7 at best before it really starts to sink in.

I think two things can be true at once. Cam Newton is certainly a downgrade from Tom Brady, there's no question about it. But the opt-outs have also been a big part of it as well. The Bills were very lucky with only having one starter (Lotulelei) opt out. Patriots had the most (8) players opt out of any team, many of whom were starters. You definitely can't say that that hasn't had an effect.

It's not one or the other. Both have had an impact.

I hate Brady but there's no denying his loss, not just as a player but as a guy who probably spent hours every day getting the other offensive players in line and making sure they had all the details down, almost like an extra coach. Think of any FAs or young guys who join the team and you've got the guy with more rings than any other QB in history telling you what to do, you're going to listen and keep your mouth shut. 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Not denying they have cheated, but how did the pandemic stop them from cheating?

Seriously? Travel bans, quarantines, social distancing. You have to be able to get out and move around these differnet cities / stadiums/ practice facilities you are going to electronically surveil. 

F Brady, F Belichick, and F the patsies entire organization,  That is all. 

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That’s a serious question?

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

The demise started before Tom left. Tom left because the writing was on the wall. 

In fairness the media has discussed the loss of Brady. How many discussions has there been on who played the bigger role in the dynasty, Brady or Belichick.

44 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I think two things can be true at once. Cam Newton is certainly a downgrade from Tom Brady, there's no question about it. But the opt-outs have also been a big part of it as well. The Bills were very lucky with only having one starter (Lotulelei) opt out. Patriots had the most (8) players opt out of any team, many of whom were starters. You definitely can't say that that hasn't had an effect.

It's not one or the other. Both have had an impact.

I don't see how that is any different than an injury. If thats a problem it shows the lack of depth on the roster

The biggest difference is QB play. Newton has been awful