Scenario where Bills may want to intentionally lose week 17

HappyDays

I already mentioned that it doesn't matter who the Bills play. The AFC is tough. Unless the Bills are getting the WFT (obviously that can never happen) there are no easy matchups and even the WFT has a decent defense. I will admit playing Miami three times in one year would be nice. It would bring life to the rivalry just like the early 90's. Plus I am curious to see how Mr. Alabama likes playing in the cold.

Could we see a Christian Wade call up for Week 17?.  Suspect the Bills will want to pound the rock vs. the Fish anticipating a Jan 9 or 10 playoff game in the 716.  Good running games are impervious to weather. He would be tough to tackle on a slick field.

I don’t think we should intentionally lose in any scenario, but I do think if that scenario plays out, we should absolutely rest key players and let the chips fall where they may.  That seems pretty obvious, and shouldn’t make anyone feel any type of way, or create some weird karma. 

I see Ravens fans laughing at the Steelers loss last night, but that wasn’t a good outcome for them.. 

Steelers are in no matter what.  Browns could very well win out with the way Pittsburgh is playing.  Colts and Titans, one is in and the other is likely in.  

The Ravens could need us playing for something against Miami.  

Edited by SCBills

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I already mentioned that it doesn't matter who the Bills play. The AFC is tough. Unless the Bills are getting the WFT (obviously that can never happen) there are no easy matchups and even the WFT has a decent defense. I will admit playing Miami three times in one year would be nice. It would bring life to the rivalry just like the early 90's. Plus I am curious to see how Mr. Alabama likes playing in the cold.

Yes growing up in Hawaii, and playing at Alabama, doubt he has played any games in what Buffalo will be like in January.  Fitz has, and they might just play Fitz because he gets Buffalo weather.

1 minute ago, BearNorth said:

Yes growing up in Hawaii, and playing at Alabama, doubt he has played any games in what Buffalo will be like in January.  Fitz has, and they might just play Fitz because he gets Buffalo weather.

I don't think they would play Fitz unless Tua is struggling so badly that they make a QB change to give the team a spark. I could see Tua having a difficult time with the cold, wind, and possible snow.

7 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

I'd rather have to face the Ravens than the Titans. I'm not sure Jackson would pose much of a threat passing the ball in Buffalo. I think he'd be easier to stop running the ball than Henry

Jackson beat us last year in Buffalo in December in cold conditions and he had 3 Passing TDs.   Lamar is a stud QB and can compete very well.   There are no easy games in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't advocate for us to lose on purpose.  But being in this type of scenario could actually work out very well for the Bills.

There is a decent chance we have the #2 seed locked up this week, and there is literally nothing for us to gain by winning in Week 17.  

All it would take is us beating the Patriots and the Steelers losing to the Colts.  We win the tiebreaker, regardless of what happens the final week.

If the above happens (and Miami beats Las Vegas), then it becomes almost certain that our Wild Card opponent will be the Dolphins or Ravens.

In other words, the Bills could ultimately have a say in which opponent they face.  And I think most people would prefer to play Miami.

In this scenario, the Bills can then rest their starters (extra bye week to get healthy) and use Week 17 to scout the Dolphins tendencies.  At the same time, we can hide what kind of gameplan we are coming with in the Wild Card - similar to a preseason game.  

If Indy beats Pittsburgh

if Titans lose to Packers

Bills beat Pats

Bills lock in #2 seed.

they would have an incentive to rest starts .

if pittlises are browns win their week 17 is a winner take all.

If Miami , Pittsburgh/Clevrland and Baltimore, and Indy/ tenn all at 11-5 who gets in....

Pittsburgh over Baltimore for 2nd Baltimore over Cleveland  due to H2H sweeps.

Miami Pittsburgh and Tennessee would have same conf record.

common games..buffalo, cincinati, Denver, jacksonville

MIA 3-2, PIT 3-2, TEN 4-1...TEN gets 5 then strength of victory determines 6-7. I think PIT is ahead on SV right now.

if It’s Indy Then this is skipped because of too few common opponents so then to strength of victory. 

IF PIT beats CLE putting them at 11-5.  BAL finishes at 10-6.

MIA-CLE-TEN are tied then 5 is TEN, 6 MIA, 7 CLE

MIA-CLE-IND are tied Then 5 MIA, 6 CLE, 7 IND

IF BAL and CLE at 11-5 and BAL in 2nd then 

MIA-BAL-TEN is 5 TEN 6 MIA, 7 BAL

MIA-BAL-IND is 6 MIA 6 BAL 7 CLE

@HappyDays I want you to think about what you just proposed and then imagine pitching it to McDermott, the man who openly wept at finally winning the division in his fourth attempt. Do you think he is capable of throwing a game? I don't think throwing a game is consistent with his overall philosophy, which is built upon the notion that we "find a way" to win in any situation. Just my opinion. 

I don't think they "intentionally" lose in this scenario, but it allows them to rest all their starters week 17 with the advantage of also getting a better playoff matchup.  No brainer really. 

1 minute ago, nucci said:

How do you tell the  players to lose on purpose? It'll never happen

They accomplish this goal by resting the starters.  The backups who play will obviously try.

10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yeah I dont wanna be playing the Titans Week 1.. 

Out of all the potential playoff teams them and obviously KC. The Titans match up well with us and would rather them and KC take each other out and not see one of them till the AFC championship game. I wouldn't mind facing Indy, Miami, and Cleveland first in no specific order.

Edited by billieve420
  • Like (+1) 1

A decision to rest all crucial starters in the scenario where keeping the Ravens out of the playoffs, is the right move. We will be locked into the 2 seed and facing the 11 and 5 Steelers or Dolphins is a preferred path. . Now all we need is the Packers and Colts to win the games they will be favored in and Miami to take care of Vegas while we crush NE. That's a lot of outcomes to depend on. Probably won't happen.