Why on earth isn't Sean McDermott a legit Coach of the Year candidate?

Logic

If we finish 13-3 which I think is completely realistic then I think he will get legit consideration.  I would hope that they also take into consideration his overall body of work since he has come to Buffalo even though I know that's not how Coach of the Year works but McDermott is definitely deserving of it.

40 minutes ago, Simon said:

I can't imagine what possibly  might have happened to him on Nov 29th..... 0:)

Many many many thanks Simon!!!  Not that you would know ANYTHING about "that".

Edited by Kwai San

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

The Bills were expected to be good. That's where McDermott has votes against him.

The Dolphins weren't expected to be anywhere near 9-5 and Flores gets all the credit for that....... according to the people who will be voting for COTY.

Who do you think should get credit for it? Roster is weak but they're winning. They are getting help from a terrible schedule though. Kind of embarassing for the AFC that they might make the playoffs, lol.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

He probably will get some votes but my guess is Kevin Stefanski wins it. Cleveland hasn't made the playoffs in 17 years or something like that. He is doing for the Browns what McDermott has done for the Bills.

Stefanski is a good coach, but the Browns are stacked talent wise. Him being successful isnt surprising IMO. I think it just shows just had bad Kitchens was

McDermott took over a team that people expected to pick top 5 and brought them to the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I mentioned that most betting odds websites don't show him as a particularly serious candidate.

He is rarely discussed as being within the top 5 likeliest winners.

Can’t speak to the betting public, but he’s in the conversation 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

He is a legit candidate.  He just won’t win

Nobody is surprised that we are good. I think that’s much of what it takes to win the award. Be much better than expected. In a backhanded way, it can be seen as a compliment (if you are so inclined). 

And he is a legit candidate, IMO. I just doubt he wins it. If we finish 13-3 his odds should go WAY UP.

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Belichick has never won this award.  

I'd like for our team to have those same levels of success.  Who gives a crap about any other trophies or awards not named "Lombardi"

Belicheck has won this award 3 times

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Coach_of_the_Year_Award

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/ranking-top-candidates-to-win-2020-nfl-coach-of-the-year

9th?

Working against him: Unless the Bills catch the Chiefs or Steelers in the race for the top spot in the AFC, McDermott might have a tough time drawing enough attention from voters in a year that is loaded with deserving names. 

—— Gil Brandt 

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/nfl-coach-of-the-year-odds-still-close-heading-into-week-14-01esc639eff1/amp

9. Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills (+2400)

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Hearing NFL analysts discuss the topic of who should win Coach of the Year, and checking a few betting websites to see the odds....I can't help but wonder: Why isn't Sean McDermott more of a serious candidate for the award?

Coach of the Year awards almost always go to head coach and I think Coach Diabolical is getting credit for Josh.

It is very similar to NFL player of the year 

I think Brian Daboll might get AP Assistant Coach of the Year award.

13 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I always wonder why fans, who often preach teamwork, get so hung up on individual awards and recognition. Imagine if a player commented about wanting to win individual awards.

Well it's not a major concern of mine personally but for fans who do focus on that I don't think it's hypocritical at all since their desire has no detrimental impact on the team like it does when a player feels that way.