J E T S blow first pick

CorkScrewHill

WELP...so much for worrying that Brian Daboll would go to the NY Jets. 

Jacksonville, yes. 

LA Chargers, yes.

Houston, despite the lack of draft picks, yes.

OH, there is also the rumor that the "chin" wants to coach the NY Jets. Yes, Bill Cowher...and doubtful now.

Edited by Nihilarian

18 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I feel like the Lawrence/Fields situation is kind of like McDavid/Eichel in the NHL Draft five years ago.

It's a lot different than that.

I was really all in on mcdavid... but I knew the lottery gave us a smaller chance to get him.  Eichel was still a sure franchise C, and that means more in hockey.  Football there are so many pieces and more variables.

I have been looking at their frecently recently.  Their fans had Lawrence banked on the jets.  I figured there was no way they would win a game myself.  Fans have watched his every game, consumed media, and have become emotionally vested in Trevor Lawrence as a Jet for his whole career.  

There isn't really an eichel here at 2.

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sorry, not trying to dig in and argue, but Luck took teams who had no business being in the playoffs for some pretty good rides. If he had had a better supporting cast and a little more time (in today’s standards, he played about a half of a career), there’s no telling how he might be viewed decades from now. 

How he is viewed down the road will be very interesting. I do know his twitter stuff was funny as hell! 

No need for sorry, just sharing opinions.

Luck had a nice career, but IMO he'll be largely forgotten. Through no fault of his own. If Lawrence goes  to the Jets and has a Luck-type career I'll be cool with it. 

WRT twitter, if you are referring to Captain Andrew Luck (https://twitter.com/captandrewluck?lang=en ) that was outstanding!!! 

3 minutes ago, BillsToast said:

Trask from Florida is not a bad 2nd place prize. He's a great player, but if they coach him like they coached Darnold he's toast. I think Trask is a far better passer than Darnold. 

If I were the Jets I would have traded the pick anyway.  Lawrence while talented screams Andrew luck.  Not the guy!   

Darnold plus a trade back and many draft picks scares me more than Lawrence. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I was really all in on mcdavid... but I knew the lottery gave us a smaller chance to get him.  Eichel was still a sure franchise C, and that means more in hockey.  Football there are so many pieces and more variables.

That is a very good point.  Although, I think with the proper coaching (tall order for those two clown-show organizations), there is a good chance both develop into franchise quarterbacks.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I don’t mean to be harsh, but that should be an embarrassing post for you. The guys you compared him to were ALL major questions, despite how highly some were drafted.  Trevor likely would have been the first pick in the draft after ONE season at Clemson.  It was obvious we didn’t want to face Andrew luck twice a year. He didn‘t have a great team around him, but they won....a LOT. 

If you watch and understand the game even a little (and I do NOT claim to be the expert many here are), you will see the obvious difference. 

Right. Other guys have had their moments as the "best QB prospect of this generation," but with Lawrence we can honestly say "not since Andrew Luck." Maybe that's not a full generation away, but it's close.

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

No need for sorry, just sharing opinions.

Luck had a nice career, but IMO he'll be largely forgotten. Through no fault of his own. If Lawrence goes  to the Jets and has a Luck-type career I'll be cool with it. 

WRT twitter, if you are referring to Captain Andrew Luck (https://twitter.com/captandrewluck?lang=en ) that was outstanding!!! 

Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes are guys that could win on average teams.  Luck wasn't that.  Nor will Lawrence be imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

When I saw how that game ended all I could do was :lol: :lol: :lol: This is the most Jets situation ever. A team going absolutely nowhere, with the top pro prospect at QB about to fall into their lap, and then boom. Gase gets his team to put together a competent outing and Frank Gore is the star of the game. Good for the players because no one wants to go 0-16, but :lol: at the organization as a whole. 

Edited by H2o

4 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I have been looking at their frecently recently.  Their fans had Lawrence banked on the jets.  I figured there was no way they would win a game myself.  Fans have watched his every game, consumed media, and have become emotionally vested in Trevor Lawrence as a Jet for his whole career.  

There isn't really an eichel here at 2.

There is draft talk that both Justin Fields (Ohio St) and Zach Wilson (BYU) are both gonna go right after Lawrence.

Trey Lance (North Dakota ST) also looks like a first round prospect, perhaps to NE.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

image.png.9e4113b0de6a5428543289bab85669cd.png

Jets fans heading to greet team at airport

Another gem from a fan at GangGreenforum: Pyrrhic victory (/ˈpɪrɪk/ ( listen) PIRR-ik): a victory that inflicts such a devastating toll on the victor that it is tantamount to defeat.

Winning a Pyrrhic victory takes a heavy toll that negates any true sense of achievement or damages long-term progress.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Jets was the ONLY team with Lawrence I seen Daboll going to. Gets a QB and close to home. Don’t see him going out west. Maybe FL. But I think this Jets Win helps keep Daboll in Buffalo. 

I think he is gone no matter what at this point.

Depending on how Buffalo finishes the season I think he will have his pick of teams. Even New England might be in play if Bill Belichick steps down IMO. 

Already looking.

Houston

Detroit

Atlanta

Not fired yet. 

Jacksonville

NY Jets

LA Chargers

Dallas

Chicago

Minnesota

I gotta wonder how Belichick is feeling about now...6-8...outside...looking in for the first time since 2008... SB/MVP QB Cam Newton in tow.

6 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I think he is gone no matter what at this point.

Depending on how Buffalo finishes the season I think he will have his pick of teams. Even New England might be in play if Bill Belichick steps down IMO. 

Already looking.

Houston

Detroit

Atlanta

Not fired yet. 

Jacksonville

NY Jets

LA Chargers

Dallas

Chicago

Minnesota

I gotta wonder how Belichick is feeling about now...6-8...outside...looking in for the first time since 2008... SB/MVP QB Cam Newton in tow.

Gotta wonder where Daboll is in his head though at this point in his career. Has bounced around the league went to college as well. Maybe he just is happy with where he is at and will only take a job close to home why Jets was worrisome to me. 

NE job isn’t open won’t be either. If BB steps down they fill is with McDaniels. 

however with NY transplants in FL I could see him coach Jags with Lawrence as well. I am not sure and maybe I am reading Daboll wrong but I think he is going to be very selective. And I could reading him wrong as well because I do Not want Daboll to go ANYWHERE until 2022 season at earliest. I want one more year to lock in Allen’s Growth. 

Edited by MAJBobby

10 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes are guys that could win on average teams.  Luck wasn't that.  Nor will Lawrence be imo. 

Agreed on Luck, we'll have to wait and see on Lawrence. But why didn't you include Josh along with Aaron and Patrick 😄 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Gotta wonder where Daboll is in his head though at this point in his career. Has bounced around the league went to college as well. Maybe he just is happy with where he is at and will only take a job close to home why Jets was worrisome to me. 

NE job isn’t open won’t be either. If BB steps down they fill is with McDaniels. 

however with NY transplants in FL I could see him coach Jags with Lawrence as well. I am not sure and maybe I am reading Daboll wrong but I think he is going to be very selective 

I think so also. 

What is being underestimated here is how other teams are drooling over Josh Allen about now. Like John Elway isn't kicking himself that he took Chubb over Allen at #5 in 2018. Or for that matter all the teams that passed on Allen, Cleveland 2x. NY Giants, Jets, Tampa who traded the pick, INDY.

Then, looking at what Allen was in 2018 vs what he looks like now is unbelievable. Brian Daboll is going to get a ton of credit for that development. His game planning, play calling. Most every team in the NFL wants their own Josh Allen, save perhaps KC, GB, Seattle. 

Daboll will be the hottest head coaching commodity on the market IMO.  Nobody even close at this point. 

P.S. Robert Kraft would boot McDaniel's to the curb if he could get Daboll, IMO. 

42 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

If I were the Jets I would have traded the pick anyway.  Lawrence while talented screams Andrew luck.  Not the guy!   

Darnold plus a trade back and many draft picks scares me more than Lawrence. 

I agree with a trade back, give darnold a chance. But Andrew Luck was no doubt a franchise qb before retiring, (cuz the Colts had no O line and let him get murdered).  Either way I think the afc east is getting alot better next year. I bet tonight the Pat's are talking about how to get Wentz, and the jets surround darnold with weapons and a decent o line.

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

Surely he will be fired, right? They have to. They HAVE to.

End of season probably. Might as well tank out, then blame him and fire him and make it look like they didn't purposely tank.