How do we keep Daboll around?

I fear my worst nightmare will materialize, Daboll will end up with the Jets and we'll have to face him 2x a year.  Lawrence, Watson and Herbert are all attractive options for him but the most appealing situation will have to be those extra 2 first round picks the Jets get from the Jamal Adams trade. Thanks to BOB, the Texans traded away 2 first round picks AND a 2nd rounder for Laremy Tunsil so Texans will be short-handed draft-wise and not in great cap shape.

2 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

At one point I didn’t think I’d ever be saying  this but How can we convince Daboll to stay for a while longer? This offense is so fun and rolling right now. 

He will get his head coaching opportunity, whenever he wants It. 

Part of me hopes The lure of continuing to coach Josh and Diggs could be a factor. Or maybe he might find finishing the job of bringing our first Super Bowl to Buffalo would be the ultimate accomplishment before he leaves.

I know it’s everyone dream to get the gig but it doesn’t always pan out for everyone. Maybe it will for him but our window is the next few years. I am a bit nervous about anything that could set this team back going forward.

You don't.  You trust that your process has identified someone to replace him.  I'm certain that McD has a succession plan in place.

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

I fear my worst nightmare will materialize, Daboll will end up with the Jets and we'll have to face him 2x a year.  Lawrence, Watson and Herbert are all attractive options for him but the most appealing situation will have to be those extra 2 first round picks the Jets get from the Jamal Adams trade. Thanks to BOB, the Texans traded away 2 first round picks AND a 2nd rounder for Laremy Tunsil so Texans will be short-handed draft-wise and not in great cap shape.

I think he would be a fool to take a job with the armpit of the NFL in the NY Jets. Despite the draft picks or Trevor Lawrence. I'd think Houston would be more attractive with Watson at QB or Chargers with Herbert if that job becomes available. Jacksonville would also be more attractive with the #2 overall.  

IMO its the QB that will dictate where Daboll goes. Never count out NE if Bill steps down. Brian Daboll will have first choice to any job as it looks now.

Atlanta- perhaps

Houston- Yes IMO-the QB in Watson. 

Detroit-NO

NY Jets-will be looking for new HC. He'd be a fool to take this job.

Jacksonville-will be looking. Perhaps yes with Zach Wilson / Justin Fields

Chicago-maybe HC gets fired-no

Denver-maybe HC gets fired-no

LA Chargers-maybe- yes, if it comes open

Dallas-maybe they fire McCarthy- Yes to Dak Prescott

3 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Daboll and Herbert would be a very scary combination.

That’s the perfect landing for him. Avoids Bills division and gives him JA semi clone. Or he might go NFC to avoid Bills altogether knowing they are going to contend for several years 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Fantasyland. Daboll isn’t turning down an NFL head coaching job for more money, not under this head coach. Keep dreaming though.

It’d be a different story if he was serving under an old head coach, headed for retirement and Daboll was given insurances (as well as a raise) that he’d be guaranteed the job. But McD is a young coach, who just signed an extension. No way no how Daboll sticks around if he’s offered a HC job. Silly to even entertain the thought.

No it’s not if he want to win a super bowl with the bills you never no how a man and his family think. I could see him stay or leave. And before you say he have’s rings it’s not as on the same level if he helps bring one to buffalo and the job he did with Allen. 

1 hour ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

Boy your not kidding you could get Lawrence and two first round picks ouch. But then again you never no Lawrence could be a bust

1 minute ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

This idea that guys only get one chance is just not true. 

Leslie Frazier has been an HC once. He hasn't gotten many looks despite fielding a very good defense the past 3 seasons.

He may never get another shot. If he does, he'd be stupid to not take it, because he may never get another shot.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm not too concerned with Daboll leaving. 

This is his 7th year as OC in the NFL, and this is the first time he's had an above average offense (his previous best was 22nd in yards and 20th in points). 

How much of the offense's success this year can be credited to Daboll? How much of Josh's improvement is due to Daboll? There's no way to answer those questions of course, but if Daboll leaves we may get an idea. 

• Like (+1) 2

My response in a similar thread not too long ago, I think he wants to help bring the Lombardi Trophy to Buffalo.  Hopefully, it's this year.  If so, he deserves his shot. If not, I would think he'd be very choosy about the situation, not just the QB in place, but the GM and ownership.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DaggersEOD said:

I think if we “back up the brinks truck” for him to show that we acknowledge his skills/talent it could blunt the draw of a HC position. 

I have also heard that him and JA are like BFFs and that has to count for something. 

I think being a part of a potentially historic team is better than a potential HC position where we can potentially fall on his face when he doesn’t have a transcendent QB. 

I doubt this.  If Daboll’s goal is to be a head coach, it doesn’t matter how much money they offer.  Realization of a dream trumps money.  

What works in the Bills favor is that with them being set-up for a good run of success, Daboll will more than likely be highly selective because he will be in the mix for jobs next year too.   However, If they win the Super Bowl, though, he’s likely outta there.

1 hour ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

The Jets have an iffy organization.  Don’t assume a coach with multiple options will jump at that gig.  

21 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Is there any way we can just make sure he goes to an NFC team? 

Tanya Harding the interviews, somehow?

Asking for a friend.

Surely there are enough Bills fans who look similar to Daboll.  Bills Mafia grabs Daboll on the way to interviews, substitutes 'Dabollganger'.  The pantomime Daboll advocates that the interviewing teams will find success running an overage running back for two downs, a screen pass on third down, and a punt.  All teams pass on Daboll's services.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

The only way we can keep him is when he is smart enough to realize that being OC might be actually his sweet spot. 

We don’t know if OC is his “sweet spot” until he has tried and failed at least once as a HC... obviously being paid $6m a year whilst he is doing it...