How do we keep Daboll around?

The answer is $ Money 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

And lots of it. 

That and HC gigs are short term for most coaches nowadays, just think about how many have been fired in the last five years....

Go Bills!!!

40 minutes ago, chris heff said:

If Daboll does leave I hope Joe Douglas hires him, it would be confusing since they look like identical twins.

i tried to post a photo of each, but site won’t let me.

image.jpeg.b324e2d4be4da4c64eb8d53da2e17d87.jpeg                 image.jpeg.a151f489c85d0055fddb2ea4e96991d8.jpeg

Wow! They do look alike!

• Haha (+1) 1

Daboll has too many awesome opportunities. Daboll will be known as the "QB developer

He could potentially coach up the Jets with Trevor Lawrence. 

The chargers will drop Lynn and could easily want Daboll.

Texans with Deshan Watson. 

There are some really nice openings out there. Now is the time to be a coach.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Daboll has too many awesome opportunities. Daboll will be known as the "QB developer

He could potentially coach up the Jets with Trevor Lawrence. 

The chargers will drop Lynn and could easily want Daboll.

Texans with Deshan Watson. 

There are some really nice openings out there. Now is the time to be a coach.

Careful ... Adam Gase was considered the QB whisperer ...

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

He looked very good from minute one.

I don't see us being able to keep him ... with one possible exception. He's in the driver's seat now. Another year or two with Josh wouldn't seem likely to hurt him in any way. So he can be very choosy with situations. It's possible he might not find one to his liking this year. Probably not likely, as he's likely to have his choice of two or three spots, but certainly possible, and the odds would climb the longer we stay in the playoffs. Many teams would rather have their guy in place early.

I think almost any job opening would be 'one to his liking'.  You rarely go into a great situation, but if you have a chance to coach Herbert or Lawrence, I think you jump at the job, especially when they give you a 5 year 15+ million dollar contract.

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's not impossible but I think it's pretty clear that Daboll wants his chance to be a HC.

I don't think he'd stay just out of love of Josh - our love for people we carry with us no matter where we go.  He might stay because he's busy molding and sculpting Josh and his master-work isn't quite finished.  Like Michaelangelo moving on from David before he finished defining the...abs.  Yes that's right, the ab definition.

I Like the Way You Think!

In my opinion, he stays until the job is complete - Super Bowl victory. If we don’t win it all this year, he’ll stay to see it through. If we win it all, Dabs and others will go.

• Like (+1) 1

Is it a foregone conclusion that everyone ultimately wants to be a head coach? 

Guy is from Buffalo, has 6 kids and a family, could get a new contract with job security, loves Josh and the team. McBean and this ownership group is as stable as it gets for him. For those with a young family, thats important. 

Hes already got the perfect job. Not everyone wants to risk moving their family to a new city for a job with a potentially high failure/turnover rate. Not everyone wants the headache of managing a team/head coach responsibility. If the guy loves offense and football, he might be destined to stay a coordinator and thats fine. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Our best chance is to make the Superbowl so teams get impatient.

above is really our best shot to retaining him. Being an NFL HC is the pinnacle of your profession and the folks at that level think they are good enough to turn around any situation (see Dabs previous OC gigs to see he has confidence to try and turn around some rough spots). So imo he will def accept any position that he is offered. 

So be in the super bowl which should also make one other good coordinators available. Then hope someone goes after retread like BO’B or Gase. 

My opinion is that Allen makes Daboll look much better than he really is.  I honestly don't think people yet grasp how special Josh is.  People who incorrectly trashed Josh the last two years want to credit others with Josh's success to make themselves look less stupid. Josh would be this good with quite a few other OCs.  

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Is it a foregone conclusion that everyone ultimately wants to be a head coach? 

Guy is from Buffalo, has 6 kids and a family, could get a new contract with job security, loves Josh and the team. McBean and this ownership group is as stable as it gets for him. For those with a young family, thats important. 

Hes already got the perfect job. Not everyone wants to risk moving their family to a new city for a job with a potentially high failure/turnover rate. Not everyone wants the headache of managing a team/head coach responsibility. If the guy loves offense and football, he might be destined to stay a coordinator and thats fine. 

He has mentioned multiple times about his family in area so that may be a factor.

Many teams do not want to wait after playoffs before hiring new coaches who usually hire staffs; the longer you wait for hiring new head coach the less choices are available for hiring of new staff.  Coach McD had that issue - he dumped some coaches already under contract to Bills for some 2nd and 3rd choices of his. 

Daboll could raid some staff from Bills and on that matter I find coaching contracts to be very unfair - they are guaranteed pay if cut even for incompetence but it is okay to leave for new opportunities.  What if he wants to bring Dorsey as his OC?  A new OC would be a lot more successful under a head coach with offense experience than a coach from defense background.

There have been coordinators who have been hot but not getting offers to be head coaches because their teams are perpetually in the playoffs.

15 minutes ago, chris heff said:

How did you do that? I tried multiple times and ways. And it was exactly the same two photos.

I just copied and pasted the images in reply box. I moved the cursor for the 2nd photo. I'm not a computer whiz either, but it worked. It's your post, lol, not stealing your thunder. It's amazing how much they do look alike. I was curious as I did not know who Joe Douglass was. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

At one point I didn’t think I’d ever be saying  this but How can we convince Daboll to stay for a while longer? This offense is so fun and rolling right now. 

He will get his head coaching opportunity, whenever he wants It. 

Part of me hopes The lure of continuing to coach Josh and Diggs could be a factor. Or maybe he might find finishing the job of bringing our first Super Bowl to Buffalo would be the ultimate accomplishment before he leaves.

I know it’s everyone dream to get the gig but it doesn’t always pan out for everyone. Maybe it will for him but our window is the next few years. I am a bit nervous about anything that could set this team back going forward.

Maybe he doesn’t want to leave as a HC until a championship brought to his home region. That is the only thing that will keep him in Buffalo IMO. He is going to get HC offers. So it is all on Daboll if he wants them or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

He has a connection to the QB he already has developed. He has a connection to the city, and the team. I don’t get the sense from interviews with Daboll, that being a HC is what he’s after. I feel like it’s a lot of talk because that’s what the professional talkers do. 

Good coaches get opportunities, no matter when they come up. I don’t see Daboll or Frazier leaving. 

Some coaches only get one shot at HC. Frazier may never get a shot again.

He gone.