How do we keep Daboll around?

6 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I wonder how much credit daboll really deserves for Josh's development...seems like Josh is putting in a lot of work on his own to shore up his mechanics.  What he's been able to do is pretty rare and I feel like daboll is gonna have these unrealistic expectations following him wherever he goes now 

From what everyone says A LOT. Probably a lot more than we realize.

3 minutes ago, Big Gun said:

Daboll will get interviews but IMHO he won't be selected as a head coach. I just don't think he is head coach material.

But Adam Gase was? Let's be real.

In today's NFL if you can do what he has done with a young QB, ESPECIALLY one most people never thought could be a legit MVP candidate in year 3, and he can pretty much have his pick of jobs.

That trumps pretty much anything else these days. Look at why Zach Taylor got hired. He has sucked as a head coach but he did a great job with Burrow.

Edited by matter2003

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

From what everyone says A LOT. Probably a lot more than we realize.

Yea could be...I dont feel that way mostly because josh was basically thrown to the wolves his rookie year lol and now we have to keep hearing how terrible he was with no mention he was throwing to Kelvin Benjamin and zay Jones with a pretty shaky oline 🤣 they got him the tools to be successful eventually but that first season we did josh zero favors 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I wonder how much credit daboll really deserves for Josh's development...seems like Josh is putting in a lot of work on his own to shore up his mechanics.  What he's been able to do is pretty rare and I feel like daboll is gonna have these unrealistic expectations following him wherever he goes now 

I would give Jordan Palmer his coaching guru in the offseason a lot of credit for cleaning up his unruly mechanics. Allen deserves a lot of credit for working hard in the offseason and being receptive to coaching. He's dedicated to his craft, and it shows. 

5 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yea could be...I dont feel that way mostly because josh was basically thrown to the wolves his rookie year lol and now we have to keep hearing how terrible he was with no mention he was throwing to Kelvin Benjamin and zay Jones with a pretty shaky oline 🤣 they got him the tools to be successful eventually but that first season we did josh zero favors 

Yeah but remember hoe much better the offense looked once Daboll adjusted and took Kelvin Benjamin and Andre Davis out and put in McKenzie and Foster...

They initially believed big tall targets who could make contested catches were what would help Josh the most but realized that faster speedier guys who could get open actually worked better. 

How they have constantly allowed Allen to do more and more once he got comfortable and excelled at what they added to his plate, they kept adding more and more...

That can't be overlooked...some OCs are very loathe to allow their young QBs to change plays, have input into the offense, etc...Daboll is not one of them...he lets Allen thrive and doesn't try and hold him back.

Edited by matter2003

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The thing is Justin Herbert, Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence are potential options on the job market. If he is offered one of those 3 jobs it is hard to turn down.

While you aren't wrong, there is one thing different from those 3 and Josh. He absolutely loves the kid like a son. If we offer him more money and he gets to stick with someone he has such a close bond with, I think he stays. 

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The thing is Justin Herbert, Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence are potential options on the job market. If he is offered one of those 3 jobs it is hard to turn down.

He has a connection to the QB he already has developed. He has a connection to the city, and the team. I don’t get the sense from interviews with Daboll, that being a HC is what he’s after. I feel like it’s a lot of talk because that’s what the professional talkers do. 

Good coaches get opportunities, no matter when they come up. I don’t see Daboll or Frazier leaving. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Philly McButterpants said:

Keep your fingers crossed that somehow/someway, the Chargers keep Anthony Lynn as their HC.

Lynn is what is holding the Chargers back and I think he will be fired after the season is over. We will need to make Daboll the highest paid OC in the NFL to keep him and he deserves it. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

At one point I didn’t think I’d ever be saying  this but How can we convince Daboll to stay for a while longer? This offense is so fun and rolling right now. 

He will get his head coaching opportunity, whenever he wants It. 

Part of me hopes The lure of continuing to coach Josh and Diggs could be a factor. Or maybe he might find finishing the job of bringing our first Super Bowl to Buffalo would be the ultimate accomplishment before he leaves.

I know it’s everyone dream to get the gig but it doesn’t always pan out for everyone. Maybe it will for him but our window is the next few years. I am a bit nervous about anything that could set this team back going forward.

The answer is you don't try too hard.  It's NOT a sure bet he will get his HC opportunity whenever he wants it.  The NFL is "not for long" for coaches, too. 

To be a coordinator or HC in the NFL is apparently "beyond 24/7" to do it successfully and a huge challenge to sustain excellence.

The Bills can offer Daboll cookies, sure.  More $$, more resources - he already floated it in an interview that Allen is the only 1st round pick on the offensive side of the ball.

But ultimately, it's going to come down to what he wants to do, and we shouldn't try a hard-court-press to change that.  Because the last thing you want is an OC where part if his head is doing his job as OC, and part of his head is regretting that he didn't take that HC opportunity. 

Either Daboll gets an opportunity he wants, or he doesn't.  If he gets an opportunity he wants, he either takes it, or he decides he's not done yet in Buffalo and stays.  But either way it has to be his choice with a whole heart and mind.

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, Big Gun said:

Daboll will get interviews but IMHO he won't be selected as a head coach. I just don't think he is head coach material.

I used to think like this as well but who would you rather have as a HC than a OC that can play call, play design, develop talent and mentor a QB. Daboll is going to get some very big offers to be a HC somewhere and he is probably at the top of the list for at least 3 or 4 teams. My gut feeling is that Daboll is gone after this year which would really suck but Daboll has definitely earned his shot at being a HC. If McD got hit by a bus Daboll would be a no brainer as HC of the Bills right now. 

7 minutes ago, Gambit said:

While you aren't wrong, there is one thing different from those 3 and Josh. He absolutely loves the kid like a son. If we offer him more money and he gets to stick with someone he has such a close bond with, I think he stays. 

I am sceptical. If his options are Detroit and Atlanta I could see it. If the chance to work with one of those other young studs arises not sure he passes up.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Imagine if we get lucky and this guy just is happy and doesn’t want to leave? Maybe not everyone wants the responsibility of being a HC? Maybe if we pay him enough and he loves josh so much...he would just stay? He is from the area. It’s not impossible.

It's not impossible but I think it's pretty clear that Daboll wants his chance to be a HC.

I don't think he'd stay just out of love of Josh - our love for people we carry with us no matter where we go.  He might stay because he's busy molding and sculpting Josh and his master-work isn't quite finished.  Like Michaelangelo moving on from David before he finished defining the...abs.  Yes that's right, the ab definition.

6 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

We’re going to the SB and teams with vacancies won’t want to wait that long. 

I Like the Way You Think!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Herbert and Watson are already established, so perhaps Daboll is less of a draw for those teams (they could hire someone else).   Lawrence would be tempting for Daboll, if he didn't end up on the Jets.  

I will also say that I imagine that Dorsey will be a seamless transition to OC.  I could be wrong, but I bet Daboll would have some insight there if he left to help out the Bills.  

The only way we can keep him is when he is smart enough to realize that being OC might be actually his sweet spot. I will not blame him if he wants to try HC but my random uneducated guess is that he will fail like many great OCs before him. For now I will just hope that we either win SB this year or he stays to finish the job first if we don't.

56 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

At one point I didn’t think I’d ever be saying  this but How can we convince Daboll to stay for a while longer? This offense is so fun and rolling right now. 

He will get his head coaching opportunity, whenever he wants It. 

Part of me hopes The lure of continuing to coach Josh and Diggs could be a factor. Or maybe he might find finishing the job of bringing our first Super Bowl to Buffalo would be the ultimate accomplishment before he leaves.

I know it’s everyone dream to get the gig but it doesn’t always pan out for everyone. Maybe it will for him but our window is the next few years. I am a bit nervous about anything that could set this team back going forward.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Like (+1) 1