How do we keep Daboll around?

At one point I didn’t think I’d ever be saying  this but How can we convince Daboll to stay for a while longer? This offense is so fun and rolling right now. 

He will get his head coaching opportunity, whenever he wants It. 

Part of me hopes The lure of continuing to coach Josh and Diggs could be a factor. Or maybe he might find finishing the job of bringing our first Super Bowl to Buffalo would be the ultimate accomplishment before he leaves.

I know it’s everyone dream to get the gig but it doesn’t always pan out for everyone. Maybe it will for him but our window is the next few years. I am a bit nervous about anything that could set this team back going forward.

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 1

I think if we “back up the brinks truck” for him to show that we acknowledge his skills/talent it could blunt the draw of a HC position. 

I have also heard that him and JA are like BFFs and that has to count for something. 

I think being a part of a potentially historic team is better than a potential HC position where we can potentially fall on his face when he doesn’t have a transcendent QB. 

Edited by DaggersEOD
  • Like (+1) 5

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, DaggersEOD said:

I think if we “back up the brinks truck” for him to show that we acknowledge his skills/talent it could blunt the draw of a HC position. 

I have also heard that him and JA are like BFFs and that has to count for something. 

I think being a part of a potentially historic team is better than a potential HC position where we can potentially fall on his face when he doesn’t have a transcendent QB. 

The thing is Justin Herbert, Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence are potential options on the job market. If he is offered one of those 3 jobs it is hard to turn down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

Fantasyland. Daboll isn’t turning down an NFL head coaching job for more money, not under this head coach. Keep dreaming though.

It’d be a different story if he was serving under an old head coach, headed for retirement and Daboll was given insurances (as well as a raise) that he’d be guaranteed the job. But McD is a young coach, who just signed an extension. No way no how Daboll sticks around if he’s offered a HC job. Silly to even entertain the thought.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

At one point I didn’t think I’d ever be saying  this but How can we convince Daboll to stay for a while longer? This offense is so fun and rolling right now. 

Part of me hopes The lure of continuing to coach Josh and Diggs could be a factor. Or maybe he might find finishing the job of bringing our first Super Bowl to Buffalo would be the ultimate accomplishment before he leaves.

I know it’s everyone dream to get the gig but it doesn’t always pan out for everyone. Maybe it will for him but our window is the next few years. I am a bit nervous about anything that could set this team back going forward.

He looked very good from minute one.

I don't see us being able to keep him ... with one possible exception. He's in the driver's seat now. Another year or two with Josh wouldn't seem likely to hurt him in any way. So he can be very choosy with situations. It's possible he might not find one to his liking this year. Probably not likely, as he's likely to have his choice of two or three spots, but certainly possible, and the odds would climb the longer we stay in the playoffs. Many teams would rather have their guy in place early.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

We can't. He almost assuredly will be getting at least one if not his pick of head coaching spots this year and will be taking one. Likely will also get a huge salary because he can play one team against another. Good for him. He has done fantastic work here. We just need to hope they try to maintain us much continuity with Allen and keep him in the same type of system. Wouldn't be surprised to see Dorsey be promoted or even WR coach Chad Hall who is a rising star in NFL circles for the work he has done with the Bills WR group. They all praise him and McD is very high on him.

There are projected to be 8 or 9 openings for head coaches with not that many truly qualified candidates. And Daboll is going to be at the top of the list for teams planning on drafting and developing a young QB. What the Bills have done by Allen has garnered them massive, massive amounts of respect across the NFL in ways that I don't think we can even fathom.

Additionally the Bills rebuild is viewed as a blueprint in how to do it now for other teams looking to ascend from years of poor results. Miami has done a lot of similar things to what we have done and will be a tough challenge for the division starting next year, especially with an extra top 10 and potentially although unlikely top 5 pick in the 1st and 2nd rounds from Houston.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The thing is Justin Herbert, Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence are potential options on the job market. If he is offered one of those 3 jobs it is hard to turn down.

Good point. Not too often you have this many teams with young talented QBs, have HC openings. 

Absolutely a big factor here. Hopefully the relationships and winning trump draw of a HC job. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve liked Daboll from the very beginning.  His play designs were always next level, just that at times early on his play calling was a bit off.  He has learned from it and let’s be honest, it doesn’t hurt when you have all-world Dual threat QB at the helm.

If he gets an opportunity with a team that has an exciting ascending QB, I just can’t see him passing it up.   If he doesn’t get offered a position with one of those teams I think he stays with Buffalo another year.

When he leaves he will be missed.  I just hope Dorsey will be up to the challenge of that is the route they go.

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

We can't. He almost assuredly will be getting at least one if not his pick of head coaching spots this year.

There are projected to be 8 or 9 openings for head coaches with not that many truly qualified candidates. And Daboll is going to be at the top of the list for teams planning on drafting and developing a young QB. What the Bills have done by Allen has garnered them massive, massive amounts of respect across the NFL in ways that I don't think we can even fathom.

Additionally the Bills rebuild is viewed as a blueprint in how to do it now for other teams looking to ascend from years of poor results. Miami has done a lot of similar things to what we have done and will be a tough challenge for the division starting next year, especially with an extra top 10 and potentially although unlikely top 5 pick in the 1st and 2nd rounds from Houston.

I wonder how much credit daboll really deserves for Josh's development...seems like Josh is putting in a lot of work on his own to shore up his mechanics.  What he's been able to do is pretty rare and I feel like daboll is gonna have these unrealistic expectations following him wherever he goes now 

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Fantasyland. Daboll isn’t turning down an NFL head coaching job for more money, not under this head coach. Keep dreaming though.

It’d may be a different story if he was serving under an old head coach, headed for retirement and Daboll was given insurances (as well as a raise) that he’d be guaranteed the job. But McD is a young coach, who just signed an extension. No way no how Daboll sticks around if he’s offered a HC job. Silly to even entertain the thought.

Can’t disagree that convincing him to stay would be a tough sell. I just think that when you spend this much time developing / growing something like we now have at the Bills, it’s tough to walk away right before you arrive. 

But I may just be wishing lol

16 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

Can’t disagree that convincing him to stay would be a tough sell. I just think that when you spend this much time developing / growing something like we now have at the Bills, it’s tough to walk away right before you arrive. 

But I may just be wishing lol

And hey it’s definitely a nice thing to wish for sure - Daboll is as instrumental as anyone in molding Allen into an MVP quarterback. I don’t fault you for wishing. 

But decision makers on other teams (especially on teams with young QBs) are salivating right now, waiting to throw money at Daboll. Will he be a good HC? Maybe. Will he get a chance? Absolutely.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 1