An Ode to a 25 Year Journey

I posted this in the pregame thread yesterday. Many have written to ask me to give it its own thread. Happy to oblige.

It was 25 years ago, in the year of our lord 1995, that a plucky team of players representing the Western section of the state of New York made a heroic last stand in the pursuit of a trophy named for the fallen warrior, Lombardi. They'd come close, that ragtag bunch of overachievers. On 4 occasions they'd come to the arena where the holy trophy would be presented and each time they walked away defeated, while their opponents celebrated. This time they would secure the crown of the East, but not of the conference named after the nation that they'd bended a knee to honor and protect.

But the combatants were not the only ones affected by the outcomes. The ones known as the fanatics were crestfallen as well. While their blood was not shed in the literal sense, it flowed from them like water from the mythical river Styx. They were connected with their on field heroes cosmically, just as that famed river was said to connect the underworld with the world of the living.

Dead was what many of them felt after those defeats. Their ever-true hearts ripped in two. Even in the halcyon days of 1995, the fanatics knew that a storm was coming. They knew that their team would soon hibernate and dream of days of future and a return to glory. What they did not know is how long that induced slumber would last.

One score and 5 long years later the beast has reawoken. Led by a field lieutenant espousing a meticulous process and a chess master of a general pulling the unseen strings that have replenished the ranks of a newly-feared Army, they stand at the ready to right old wrongs and restore glory to a franchise long overdue for its just reward.

The fanatics too have changed. Many much grayer at the temple than the first go 'round. Still others breathing Earthly air when they were but a twinkle in heaven's eye those many years ago. Still, we pause to raise a glass to those that have passed on to a higher plane. Parents and Grandparents, brothers and sisters and friends of the Red, White and Blue. Though your body has left us, we feel your spirit here today and it emboldens us as we prepare to watch our heroes take the first step in reclaiming a glory that should have never been so long in its return.

Clasp hands, brothers and sisters, and speak with me words that unite us across all racial, ethnic and socio-economic lines. Words that ring true from the banks of Lake Erie to the top of Mt. Everest. Words of eternal beauty that have e’re been spoken on this great land of ours. From our lips to God’s ear - Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 6

12 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I posted this in the pregame thread yesterday. Many have written to ask me to give it its own thread. Happy to oblige.

It was 25 years ago, in the year of our lord 1995, that a plucky team of players representing the Western section of the state of New York made a heroic last stand in the pursuit of a trophy named for the fallen warrior, Lombardi. They'd come close, that ragtag bunch of overachievers. On 4 occasions they'd come to the arena where the holy trophy would be presented and each time they walked away defeated, while their opponents celebrated. This time they would secure the crown of the East, but not of the conference named after the nation that they'd bended a knee to honor and protect.

But the combatants were not the only ones affected by the outcomes. The ones known as the fanatics were crestfallen as well. While their blood was not shed in the literal sense, it flowed from them like water from the mythical river Styx. They were connected with their on field heroes cosmically, just as that famed river was said to connect the underworld with the world of the living.

Dead was what many of them felt after those defeats. Their ever-true hearts ripped in two. Even in the halcyon days of 1995, the fanatics knew that a storm was coming. They knew that their team would soon hibernate and dream of days of future and a return to glory. What they did not know is how long that induced slumber would last.

One score and 5 long years later the beast has reawoken. Led by a field lieutenant espousing a meticulous process and a chess master of a general pulling the unseen strings that have replenished the ranks of a newly-feared Army, they stand at the ready to right old wrongs and restore glory to a franchise long overdue for its just reward.

The fanatics too have changed. Many much grayer at the temple than the first go 'round. Still others breathing Earthly air when they were but a twinkle in heaven's eye those many years ago. Still, we pause to raise a glass to those that have passed on to a higher plane. Parents and Grandparents, brothers and sisters and friends of the Red, White and Blue. Though your body has left us, we feel your spirit here today and it emboldens us as we prepare to watch our heroes take the first step in reclaiming a glory that should have never been so long in its return.

Clasp hands, brothers and sisters, and speak with me words that unite us across all racial, ethnic and socio-economic lines. Words that ring true from the banks of Lake Erie to the top of Mt. Everest. Words of eternal beauty that have e’re been spoken on this great land of ours. From our lips to God’s ear - Go Bills!

Not grey yet, but have fond memories of those days and even further when Knox turned around a beaten down team to win the AFCE back in 80.  I normally don’t like very long posts (yes I’m guilty of them too from time to time), but this was worth reading twice.  Thanks Chevy!

• Thank you (+1) 2

Classy and Brilliant.  If no one objects, may print and frame in my home office, of course with the copy right to ChevyVanMiller.

To this day, I remember the momentum building and ride happening from '87 through '99.  The 1st and 4th super Bowls felt was ours.  I was there in the stands for the Division clincher in '95.  I felt then that if Bruce didn't catch the Flu 3 days before the Steelers Divisional game, we would have won then won the Super Bowl.  Also felt that we would have won the bowl in '99.

I remember the Knox teams and of course the teams led by Levy.  This group led by McDermott has a legit shot to win Super Bowls this year and for years to come.

Enjoy it!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BillsinChesterSprings said:

Classy and Brilliant.  If no one objects, may print and frame in my home office, of course with the copy right to ChevyVanMiller.

To this day, I remember the momentum building and ride happening from '87 through '99.  The 1st and 4th super Bowls felt was ours.  I was there in the stands for the Division clincher in '95.  I felt then that if Bruce didn't catch the Flu 3 days before the Steelers Divisional game, we would have won then won the Super Bowl.  Also felt that we would have won the bowl in '99.

I remember the Knox teams and of course the teams led by Levy.  This group led by McDermott has a legit shot to win Super Bowls this year and for years to come.

Enjoy it!

I’d be honored 

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Great, Chevy!  Really nice.  The parents and grandparents got me.  For some reason, my grandfather never was much of a Bills fan, but my father was.  And my sons, and now my grandsons.  

Magic moments. 

Thanks, Shaw. The Bills bind many generations in my family, as well.