Your 4 Team Playoff Predictions Please.....

Bill from NYC

To anyone that picked anyone other than the four who made it and TAM is being beyond naive. The first 3 questions for final 4 is:

1) how many fans you bringing? 2) how rich are they? 3) are you in a power 5? Iowa St(6-3) is ranked 10 ahead of louisiana that wrecked them and has only a loss to an undefeated top 12 team(coastal carolina). There is literally no argument that logically comes to that conclusion other than every major consideration being outside football.

10 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

To anyone that picked anyone other than the four who made it and TAM is being beyond naive. The first 3 questions for final 4 is:

1) how many fans you bringing? 2) how rich are they? 3) are you in a power 5? Iowa St(6-3) is ranked 10 ahead of louisiana that wrecked them and has only a loss to an undefeated top 12 team(coastal carolina). There is literally no argument that logically comes to that conclusion other than every major consideration being outside football.

1) there are 3k total allowed at the superdome, that includes players and coaches families. there are a total of 100 tix available for fans right now. Why does this matter at all. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

One extra game or “just give it to em” Bama every year?  Without expansion they should just add another division and and have a championship for teams like Cincy, UCF, and others that are disqualified by the committee before the season starts.  At this point it is simply not a legitimate championship when a team can go undefeated and be summarily ignored.

Or, perhaps the teams that you mentioned should play Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M etc. in the regular season. Frankly, I doubt that they would do well against Tennessee or Auburn. This reminds me of when our Bills were terrible and folks would ask if Alabama could beat them. The answer was, and will always be no. The Jets would destroy Alabama. This is what the Tide would do to Cincy, etc. Then again, I could be wrong. 

If the playoffs contained 8 teams, fans would soon want 16. My point is that these are kids who risk career threatening injuries on every play. They should not (imo of course) be expected to play 15 or 16 games.

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Or, perhaps the teams that you mentioned should play Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M etc. in the regular season. Frankly, I doubt that they would do well against Tennessee or Auburn. This reminds me of when our Bills were terrible and folks would ask if Alabama could beat them. The answer was, and will always be no. The Jets would destroy Alabama. This is what the Tide would do to Cincy, etc. Then again, I could be wrong. 

If the playoffs contained 8 teams, fans would soon want 16. My point is that these are kids who risk career threatening injuries on every play. They should not (imo of course) be expected to play 15 or 16 games.

Which set of teams is ducking the other?  Why play Cincy, Boise, UCF, et al when you can play Citadel, Arkansas Ag and Tech, Mississippi School of the Blind, etc.?

You may be right that Bama and the rest would dominate but that would only bolster my point.   Saying that these schools are eligible for a championship in the current format is 100% a lie.  They are not in any way eligible when no matter what they do in season they are simply mocked by the committee rather than truly considered.

Every collegiate player risks injury in every sport.  The extra game or games argument is a dodge.  If the committee was interested in other teams qualifying, regular seasons could be shortened.  Or maybe you're right and hoops should skip right to the Final Four and invite Duke every year.  That would be awesome.  That 64 team format is terrible.  Everybody hates it.

Look, I'm not saying these teams are always, usually, or even ever better than Bama, but fair is fair.  If you're going to tell them they are eligible then they should be eligible.  Either let them play or create an alternative where they play for a lesser title.  Don't just abuse them for money and TV ratings all year then kick them to the curb like pregnant Bridget Moynihan.

53 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Which set of teams is ducking the other?  Why play Cincy, Boise, UCF, et al when you can play Citadel, Arkansas Ag and Tech, Mississippi School of the Blind, etc.?

I heard Coach Saban say that many, many teams refuse to play Alabama. Do you not believe this? Do you think a team like Cincy would WANT to play Alabama?

I appreciate the dialogue and do NOT want to sound smug, but I am gonna throw it out there that Coach Saban and Alabama are not really too afraid of Boise State.

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I can only speak for UCF but they have tried to schedule power 5 teams and have beaten power 5 teams. Their issue is that Stanford was down, as was Maryland, as was Georgia Tech from when games were scheduled 4 years prior. You are correct that a normal Bama team would beat a normal UCF team handily but the question is not what would be normal but what would happen this year with Cincinnati or Coastal Carolina- who won a college world series a few years back.. 

8 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I can only speak for UCF but they have tried to schedule power 5 teams and have beaten power 5 teams. Their issue is that Stanford was down, as was Maryland, as was Georgia Tech from when games were scheduled 4 years prior. You are correct that a normal Bama team would beat a normal UCF team handily but the question is not what would be normal but what would happen this year with Cincinnati or Coastal Carolina- who won a college world series a few years back.. 

I love Luke Fickell but his UC teams haven’t performed well against power 5 teams. He was completely non competitive vs Ohio state last year with the same team, only change was in the RB room. 

On 12/20/2020 at 2:51 PM, YoloinOhio said:

They do. But I think Bama can outscore anyone. I don’t know who out there can cover Smith. And Mac Jones is incredibly consistent.

I have been thinking about this comment.

To be honest, my biggest fear is Lawrence. I would love to know how you rate him, whereas he is the best prospect that I can remember. I was too young to recall Bert Jones coming out, but he had unlimited talent. Without injury, he might have been the best QB ever. I put Trevor Lawrence in a class with Bert Jones and Elway, and it does not please me to do so.

Like any other QB, he is no good laying on his ass. The Alabama pas rush has improved quite a bit due to Will Anderson, Christian Barmore and Chris Allen. These guys are monsters no doubt but can they disrupt Lawrence enough to beat him? I really can't say.

You know all about OSU. Do you think that they can stop Lawrence? You seem to have some great players up front. What should we expect in the playoffs in terms of OSU getting to Trevor?

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I heard Coach Saban say that many, many teams refuse to play Alabama. Do you not believe this? Do you think a team like Cincy would WANT to play Alabama?

I appreciate the dialogue and do NOT want to sound smug, but I am gonna throw it out there that Coach Saban and Alabama are not really too afraid of Boise State.

They are less afraid of The Citadel.  Overall, my point is the system is inherently a lie.  You can’t tell a team they are in a championship system when they literally have no shot at ever being considered.  It’s a joke.

17 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

They are less afraid of The Citadel.  Overall, my point is the system is inherently a lie.  You can’t tell a team they are in a championship system when they literally have no shot at ever being considered.  It’s a joke.

I have no problem with this. Perhaps the better Group of 5 Teams should be integrated into conferences?  You tell me. I for one think that this would be a better idea than playoff expansion, but I understand that many disgree.

Edited by Bill from NYC

5 hours ago, CIrvine said:

Alabama vs. Clemson will be a great game.

I want to be clear my issue is not with Bama and Clemson but how the heck does ND make the final four after getting destroyed in its final game? The four spot should have been an indefeated team. ND beat no one of quality besides Clemson which more than made up for it last week and maybe UNC, the rest of their schedule was crap.

On 12/22/2020 at 6:53 PM, Bill from NYC said:

I have no problem with this. Perhaps the better Group of 5 Teams should be integrated into conferences?  You tell me. I for one think that this would be a better idea than playoff expansion, but I understand that many disgree.

The problem with that is the teams outside the clique seem to rotate.  One year it’s Boise then UCF and now Cincy.  How can it be known ahead of time?  I say just tell them the truth that they could be the 1927 Yankees but they are never going to be invited.

On 12/22/2020 at 6:25 PM, Bill from NYC said:

I have been thinking about this comment.

To be honest, my biggest fear is Lawrence. I would love to know how you rate him, whereas he is the best prospect that I can remember. I was too young to recall Bert Jones coming out, but he had unlimited talent. Without injury, he might have been the best QB ever. I put Trevor Lawrence in a class with Bert Jones and Elway, and it does not please me to do so.

Like any other QB, he is no good laying on his ass. The Alabama pas rush has improved quite a bit due to Will Anderson, Christian Barmore and Chris Allen. These guys are monsters no doubt but can they disrupt Lawrence enough to beat him? I really can't say.

You know all about OSU. Do you think that they can stop Lawrence? You seem to have some great players up front. What should we expect in the playoffs in terms of OSU getting to Trevor?

Thanks!

Yes, I think that Ohio state can control the LOS. The secondary is very inexperienced so they need to really get pressure on Lawrence.  He’s an elite talent but he can be inaccurate and you have to hit him.  I just think Bama’s offense is much better. Akin to LSU last year. 

So what are the predictions for the 2 big games on New Year's day?

I think Alabama wins it all, but I hope I'm wrong! 

I have my eye on the Cotton Bowl.  Could be a good game.  

At this time of year I just enjoy all the games and want to see great, evenly fought football if we can.  I don't really have a dog in the fight, which can be freeing.

Edited by Nextmanup

On 12/24/2020 at 8:37 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I just think Bama’s offense is much better. Akin to LSU last year. 

From your lips to God's ears Yolo lol!

I really think that ND will try to run on us and utilize their big, talented TEs. If we can stop them from doing so and hold them on 3rd down, we can beat them imo, but I don't expect a blow out. Remember, we are playing without 2 sure first round draft picks. One of them is as good as any non-quarterback in the NCAA (Waddle), the other is the exact player that I want the Bills to draft (Dickerson).  I will get into that more after the season.

Once again, good luck vs. Clemson. I too have had about enough of Dabo.

On 12/20/2020 at 11:53 AM, 4merper4mer said:

What a clown show this thing is.  Why not just name next year's four right now?  

I can't really question the top three but I do think Ohio State sucks.  Life and death with Northwestern for most of the game.  Was anyone watching ND get slapped around?  Let someone competitive in or just screw it and give somebody a bye.  

lol

On 12/20/2020 at 12:13 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Might as well start with OSU vs ND for the bronze.  

Bama vs Clemson should be a great game 

Nope

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.