Diggs & Beasley - 19 receptions for 259 yards today

Inigo Montoya

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I stand by my point.   This is the best passing offense the BIlls have ever put on the field.  

I'm not arguing that Kelly wouldn't ball out in today's NFL where QBs are protected and offense is encouraged.  That's a totally different argument.  To Bob in STL's point, we don't have a Thurman Thomas on our team which makes this team's ability to pass the ball all the more impressive.  No defense game plans to stop Moss and Singletary, they game plan all week to stop Josh Allen and Diggs and Beasley and this passing offense.  And no one can do it. 

I'm not crowning this team as better than the Kelly Era teams.  Time will tell on that.  That's a whole other discussion.  I'm not saying that Diggs and Besley are better than Lofton and Reed.  That's a different argument too.  I watched all those Kelly Era games.  I don't ever remember the Bills winning games when they only had three running plays in a half.   We are scoring 30+ points a game with no running game this season.  It's all about the passing game this year.  

We might just have to agree to disagree on this one guys.   

🍻 

They aren't scoring 30+ points per game.   They came into this week 10th in the NFL in scoring.   

They are absolutely the best passing offense the Bills have had since the NFL basically disallowed the hitting of QB's and WR's in 2010 but offensively they don't yet stack up against their peers the way the 1990 Bills did.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They aren't scoring 30+ points per game.   They came into this week 10th in the NFL in scoring.   

They are absolutely the best passing offense the Bills have had since the NFL basically disallowed the hitting of QB's and WR's in 2010 but offensively they don't yet stack up against their peers the way the 1990 Bills did.

The Bills are averaging 29.1 points per game this year.

Thuman. Thomas. had 1000+ yards rushing each season from 1989 - 1996.  During the four Super Bowl seasons he had;

1990 -  1,297

1991 -  1,407

1992 -  1,487

1993 -  1,315

Josh Allen's rushing offense this year?  The Bills leading rusher through 14 games, Devin Singletary, has 644 yards. 

The Super Bowl Era Bills had a fantastic running game to compliment the fantastic passing of Jim Kelly.  Josh Allen has essentially no running game.  Almost all of the offense this year is the passing game. That was never the case with the Kelly Bills.  They could run the ball with Thurman any Sunday.  That's not the case this year.   I'm not comparing the offense of the Kelly Bills to the offense of the Allen Bills, I'm compatring the passing offense of the two.  

I'll stand by my point that the 2020 Allen Bills is the best passing offense the Bills have ever fielded.

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The Bills are averaging 29.1 points per game this year.

Thuman. Thomas. had 1000+ yards rushing each season from 1989 - 1996.  During the four Super Bowl seasons he had;

1990 -  1,297

1991 -  1,407

1992 -  1,487

1993 -  1,315

Josh Allen's rushing offense this year?  The Bills leading rusher through 14 games, Devin Singletary, has 644 yards. 

The Super Bowl Era Bills had a fantastic running game to compliment the fantastic passing of Jim Kelly.  Josh Allen has essentially no running game.  Almost all of the offense this year is the passing game. That was never the case with the Kelly Bills.  They could run the ball with Thurman any Sunday.  That's not the case this year.   I'm not comparing the offense of the Kelly Bills to the offense of the Allen Bills, I'm compatring the passing offense of the two.  

I'll stand by my point that the 2020 Allen Bills is the best passing offense the Bills have ever fielded.

Yes as I said the Bills are NOT averaging 30+ points per game and they came into the game just 10th in the NFL in scoring. 

Yeah speaking of running backs.....the current Bills backs are probably the worst receiving RB group in the NFL......there is zero screen game and forget throwing downfield to them.

Thurman Thomas was the premier receiving back in the NFL..........an NFL MVP.

That's one of like 50 points of comparison that just don't match up AT ALL or make it extremely difficult to compare era's.

Guys like Reed and Lofton finished their NFL careers in the top 2 in both career catches and yardage when they hung them up..............I hate to break it to you but none of the Bills receivers are going to finish their careers that high on NFL lists.

Bottom line.......this offense is very fun to watch but there aren't going to be 4 passing game Hall of Famers from this bunch like there were on the 1990-1991 Bills.   Nope.

What's important is that the current Bills are excellent at a style of offense that can win big in today's NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The Super Bowl Era Bills had a fantastic running game to compliment the fantastic passing of Jim Kelly.  Josh Allen has essentially no running game.  Almost all of the offense this year is the passing game. That was never the case with the Kelly Bills.  They could run the ball with Thurman any Sunday. 

And should have run Thurman more 1st Superbowl.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah speaking of running backs.....the current Bills backs are probably the worst receiving RB group in the NFL......there is zero screen game and forget throwing downfield to them.

SeaSnakes, Moss:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/bills-dial-up-perfect-screen-pass-with-a-20-yard-gain-from-zack-moss-bills-vs-se

Chargers Motor:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2020/11/29/buffalo-bills-los-angeles-chargers-game-score-nfl-live-updates-game-tracker-josh-allen-justin-herber/6456594002/

Can quickly find more plays involving screens to WR.  This is just quick google search.   Point is, to say there is "zero screen game" is an exaggeration. 

Likewise exaggeration to say we've got the worst receiving RB group in the NFL.  Devin Singletary is #19 among RBs for receptions with 247 receiving yards, 2.5 receptions for 17.6 yards per game, and a 74.5% catch %.   Moss is same catch % to add 82 receiving yards, 1 reception and 7.6 ypg.  It's totally fair to say neither of them is Kamerra much less Thurman Thomas,  but worst in the league?  Pffft. 

Would like to see data on which receiving RB groups in the league are better.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

SeaSnakes, Moss:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/bills-dial-up-perfect-screen-pass-with-a-20-yard-gain-from-zack-moss-bills-vs-se

Chargers Motor:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2020/11/29/buffalo-bills-los-angeles-chargers-game-score-nfl-live-updates-game-tracker-josh-allen-justin-herber/6456594002/

Can quickly find more plays involving screens to WR.  This is just quick google search.   Point is, to say there is "zero screen game" is an exaggeration. 

Likewise exaggeration to say we've got the worst receiving RB group in the NFL.  Devin Singletary is #19 among RBs for receptions with 247 receiving yards, 2.5 receptions for 17.6 yards per game, and a 74.5% catch %.   Moss is same catch % to add 82 receiving yards, 1 reception and 7.6 ypg.  It's totally fair to say neither of them is Kamerra much less Thurman Thomas,  but worst in the league?  Pffft. 

Would like to see data on which receiving RB groups in the league are better.

Thurman Thomas was in the midst of leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage 4 straight seasons.

He was A LOT better........any way you cut it.........relative to his peers or even just number for number despite the inflated stats of today.........than "#19 in receptions for RB's" Devin Singletary or Zach Moss.:lol:

Protest all you want.:thumbsup:

4 HOF'ers in the passing game.........pro bowlers all over the offensive line..........a passing game with NO weaknesses in an era before free agency when there was a lot more roster imbalance around the league.

I'm loving this team but trying to say this current team has more passing game talent is to deny not only the individual greatness of those HOF'ers but also the fact that they were outstanding at all levels of the passing game.......WR's......RB's......TE's. 

If you want to see how the screen game is executed........go back and watch the 1992 AFC Championship in Miami where the Bills just ran screen after screen after screen and the opponent couldn't stop it even when they knew it was coming.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes as I said the Bills are NOT averaging 30+ points per game and they came into the game just 10th in the NFL in scoring. 

Thurman Thomas was the premier receiving back in the NFL..........an NFL MVP.

That's one of like 50 points of comparison that just don't match up AT ALL or make it extremely difficult to compare era's.

Guys like Reed and Lofton finished their NFL careers in the top 2 in both career catches and yardage when they hung them up..............I hate to break it to you but none of the Bills receivers are going to finish their careers that high on NFL lists.

Bottom line.......this offense is very fun to watch but there aren't going to be 4 passing game Hall of Famers from this bunch like there were on the 1990-1991 Bills.   Nope.

What's important is that the current Bills are excellent at a style of offense that can win big in today's NFL.

Didn't mean to get your blood pressure up.

I'll stand by my take.  We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I do agree with you 100% that what is most important is that our Bills are playing lights out.  

🍻  

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Thurman Thomas was in the midst of leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage 4 straight seasons.

He was A LOT better........any way you cut it.........relative to his peers or even just number for number despite the inflated stats of today.........than "#19 in receptions for RB's" Devin Singletary or Zach Moss.:lol:

Protest all you want.:thumbsup:

This isn't a "protest" nor was I trying to make a comparison between this team and the '90s Superbowl Bills or Thurman Thomas.

Plain and simple - you stated that we have zero screen game.  That is untrue.  It's not stellar, but it exists and it's gained us critical 3rd down conversions and yards at points during the season.  Now last year we had pretty much zero screen game - it seems to have been something we worked on this off season.

Plain and simple - you stated that we have the worst receiving RB group in the NFL.  Singletary is #19, which is not the "worst", and I'd like to see the justification for the "group" statement as I don't see other teams with a pair of great receiving RBs.  So I believe that statement to also be untrue.

Twist your response all you like to bring up a point I was not arguing, but it doesn't constitute an effective rebuttal to the above.

13 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

New England's defense will be MUCH tougher to surmount this time around, given Gilmore's availability. Really curious to see if Daboll and Allen will go after that 1v1 matchup (Diggs vs Gilmore) next week. Man coverage offers opportunities for big plays if they can execute at a high level.

I remain a bit bearish on the Bills' overall offensive prospects AT New England this late in the season (high volume of 2020 Buffalo film to study and tendencies to prepare for, PLUS whatever communications/surveillance shenanigans await us in their building)...it can be a lot to overcome.

Diggs will crush Gilmores half hearted spirit just by blocking him for the run game. 
I have no doubt Gilmore is about to get "Played"

Bills Offense is whole unit firing on all cylinders using everyone who can catch a football. so may viable targets include the RBs and even Lee Smith  :)
The Passing game has really turned into an aerial circus of joy for all to enjoy. Thanks Josh Allen you frigging beast !

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Didn't mean to get your blood pressure up.

I'll stand by my take.  We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I do agree with you 100% that what is most important is that our Bills are playing lights out.  

🍻  

Nah you just got caught up in recency bias.:flirt:

That early 90's team cut both ways..........they were exciting and had a roster advantage that isn't reasonable to ever replicate in the free agency era..........but they were poorly coached on defense,  their HC couldn't and didn't run a tight ship like McD,  and they were certainly not humble and not focused.

This team is a ton of fun to watch but IMO what makes them potentially special are all of those less tangible traits that they DON'T have in common with the early 90's team.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

And should have run Thurman more 1st Superbowl.

Yeah @Inigo Montoya kept using that running game argument..........I don't think he knows the difference between not having a running game in 1990-1991(catastrophic) versus what it means to not have a running game today(not a lot if you can sling it).