Diggs & Beasley - 19 receptions for 259 yards today

Inigo Montoya

This is the best passing offense the Buffalo Bills have ever had.  Even back in the Kelly Era the Bills offense really ran through Thurman Thomas.  I have never seen a Bills team throw the ball this much and this well.  It just looks effortless.  When we get John Brown back I don't know who can line up against this passing offense and stop it.  

I think we can go score for score with the Chiefs at this point.  I think we can beat the Chiefs.  I think this team can win the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 7

17 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

This is the best passing offense the Buffalo Bills have ever had.  Even back in the Kelly Era the Bills offense really ran through Thurman Thomas.  I have never seen a Bills team throw the ball this much and this well.  It just looks effortless.  When we get John Brown back I don't know who can line up against this passing offense and stop it.  

I think we can go score for score with the Chiefs at this point.  I think we can beat the Chiefs.  I think this team can win the Super Bowl.

Not so fast.  

Thurman’s  pass receiving and receiving yards were stellar on.  Better than our RBs by miles.

Reed and Lofton had HOF careers.  Bebee was a good player too as was Tasker. 

McKelker/Metzellars was more potent than what we have.  

The game is different now so you can’t go by numbers.  Current Bills will bury the 90’s Bills numbers.   Put Kelly and his group in today’s NFL and no telling how much the no huddle would score against today’s defense with today’s rules.   

You have to judge players by performance versus peers in their era.  

The current Bills are impressive indeed and the best is yet to come but we don’t know what the future holds.  They can get better but I am not saying the are better than the 90’s group yet.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Not so fast.  

Thurman’s  pass receiving and receiving yards were stellar.  Better than our RBs by miles.

You are spot on. There was never a player on the field that seemed that couldn't make a play. And I mean a big play. I remember when Lofton came over from the Packers and it just seemed like extra icing on a wonderful red velvet cake.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Think the game has changed too much to compare the two.  While Allen certainly is stronger and bigger than Kelly,  Allen would have been beat to hell 30 years ago as would his receiver group.  Kelly too would hardly be playing today as likely would be out with a concussion every other week. On the other hand maybe not as the defensive team couldn't have touched him at all.

36 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Not so fast.  

Thurman’s  pass receiving and receiving yards were stellar.  Better than our RBs by miles.

The game is different now so you can’t go by numbers.  Put Kelly and his group in today’s NFL and no telling how much the no huddle would score. 

You have to judge players by performance versus peers in there era.  

The current Bills are impressive indeed and the best is yet to come but we don’t know what the future holds.  They can get better but I am not saying the are better than the 90’s group yet.  

32 minutes ago, Coastie said:

You are spot on. There was never a player on the field that seemed that couldn't make a play. And I mean a big play. I remember when Lofton came over from the Packers and it just seemed like extra icing on a wonderful red velvet cake.

31 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Think the game has changed too much to compare the two.  While Allen certainly is stronger and bigger than Kelly,  Allen would have been beat to hell 30 years ago as would his receiver group.  Kelly too would hardly be playing today as likely would be out with a concussion every other week. On the other hand maybe not as the defensive team couldn't have touched him at all.

I stand by my point.   This is the best passing offense the BIlls have ever put on the field.  

I'm not arguing that Kelly wouldn't ball out in today's NFL where QBs are protected and offense is encouraged.  That's a totally different argument.  To Bob in STL's point, we don't have a Thurman Thomas on our team which makes this team's ability to pass the ball all the more impressive.  No defense game plans to stop Moss and Singletary, they game plan all week to stop Josh Allen and Diggs and Beasley and this passing offense.  And no one can do it. 

I'm not crowning this team as better than the Kelly Era teams.  Time will tell on that.  That's a whole other discussion.  I'm not saying that Diggs and Besley are better than Lofton and Reed.  That's a different argument too.  I watched all those Kelly Era games.  I don't ever remember the Bills winning games when they only had three running plays in a half.   We are scoring 30+ points a game with no running game this season.  It's all about the passing game this year.  

We might just have to agree to disagree on this one guys.   

🍻 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I stand by my point.   This is the best passing offense the BIlls have ever put on the field.  

No worries, it is so hard to compare eras. I picture the 90s bills as every bit as explosive as this era Chiefs as far as weapons (lacking some TE, better at RB). Could Kelly have cranked out the numbers in this pass happy environment that Allen is? I think so but no one will ever know.

The simple fact I even accept it as a possibility means the Bills are amazing and I hope to ride this train just like I rode that 90s train.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I kind of agree with everything. Including the fact that it's hard to compare eras, but the numbers don't really lie right now. Diggs and Allen are screaming past team records with 2 games to go. Dawson Knox may be finally waking up. Cole Beasley is the best slot in the game. Is Gabriel Davis still leading the team in receiving TDs? And all without John Brown who is clearly in sync with Josh and will only improve things when he returns. I'm jumping on the wagon that this is the best passing offense ever. If Josh goes for 4600 passing yards and 40+ total TD's, and wins a ring, we'll all be on it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Nelius said:

I kind of agree with everything. Including the fact that it's hard to compare eras, but the numbers don't really lie right now. Diggs and Allen are screaming past team records with 2 games to go. Dawson Knox may be finally waking up. Cole Beasley is the best slot in the game. Is Gabriel Davis still leading the team in receiving TDs? And all without John Brown who is clearly in sync with Josh and will only improve things when he returns. I'm jumping on the wagon that this is the best passing offense ever. If Josh goes for 4600 passing yards and 40+ total TD's, and wins a ring, we'll all be on it.

If Davis had the lead before has to still have it. Two passing TDs were Knox who can't be close and Kumerow who just appeared like a ninja.

I agree, but the one thing I'd highlight is while Kelly will always be appreciated, Allen doesn't have a Thurman Thomas in his backfield. Yes, I think the Bills have the best passing offense in the league with all due respect to Mahomes and Rodgers. Allen is well on his way to being the Bills' best QB in franchise history. I know he still has a ways to go, but it's hard to not be encouraged by what were seeing.

• Like (+1) 1

the title for this post and the discussion on this post vary greatly.  Diggs and Bease are damn near unstoppable.  It's like watching guys that have played together for years.  the chemistry, camaraderie, and connection between these three is really great.  Add John Brown to the mix next week and I'm thinking AFC defensive coordinators are going to be losing sleep over the film they will be watching to prepare for a playoff matchup.  

One thing that I haven’t seen mentioned, is that Josh was 70% in cold and windy Denver today. No dome, no summer breezes. Plus, for those saying we have no running game, we put some solid running on film the past two games. Opposing coaches will have to plan for that which will make it that much more difficult for them

Bellichick will try to take away Diggs and with Gilmore, he may be able to. No matter, we have Bease, Brown, Isaiah, Knox and now Kumerow. Maybe we run it down their throats again, or maybe we just pitch & catch with the others. Either way, no way can they stop our O. Period. I cannot see a way that Cam, Hoyer or Stidham can score enough against our D.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Bellichick will try to take away Diggs and with Gilmore, he may be able to. No matter, we have Bease, Brown, Isaiah, Knox and now Kumerow. Maybe we run it down their throats again, or maybe we just pitch & catch with the others. Either way, no way can they stop our O. Period. I cannot see a way that Cam, Hoyer or Stidham can score enough against our D.

New England's defense will be MUCH tougher to surmount this time around, given Gilmore's availability. Really curious to see if Daboll and Allen will go after that 1v1 matchup (Diggs vs Gilmore) next week. Man coverage offers opportunities for big plays if they can execute at a high level.

I remain a bit bearish on the Bills' overall offensive prospects AT New England this late in the season (high volume of 2020 Buffalo film to study and tendencies to prepare for, PLUS whatever communications/surveillance shenanigans await us in their building)...it can be a lot to overcome.

3 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Not so fast.  

Thurman’s  pass receiving and receiving yards were stellar on.  Better than our RBs by miles.

The game is different now so you can’t go by numbers.  Current Bills will bury the 90’s Bills numbers.   Put Kelly and his group in today’s NFL and no telling how much the no huddle would score against today’s defense with today’s rules.   

You have to judge players by performance versus peers in their era.  

Yeah the Bills current offense is playing excellent football but they came in to the game in Denver as just the 10th leading scoring team in the NFL.

The early 90-91 teams finished in the top 2 in the NFL in scoring and yards per play in those years...........they were amazing and they were at least the equal at WR and so much better at receiving RB and TE.