The 1st AFC East Title of the Kelly Regime

Motorin'

Man I remember how awesome it was to win this game, with Fred Smerlas blocking a FG late to preserve the victory. I remembered almost nothing else from it. Holy crap talk about this game having omens. Scott Norwood missed a 47 yard field goal. Thurman fumbled late in fg range and the game went to OT. 

The only other thing I remember about this game was the euphoria of winning the AFC East for the first time, and the fans storming the field and taking the goal posts down... I'm struggling to imagine a way to celebrate as throughly as the Bills fans did on that day in Rich Stadium. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

That was the first time I went on the field - I had a stooopid foam finger that unbeknowest to drunken me made it down from my seats, onto the field, high fived an infinate number of fellow crazed fans, almost got cushed by the goal post coming down, high fived another number of crazy people and then back up into the stands.....made it back to the car and my ex wife was standing there shocked thatthe finger came back......thems were the days!!!!

After the second field storming they started bringing dogs on the field at the end of the games.....Bills mgmt was apparently peeved about the one set of goal posts being dropped over the upper bleachers to the ground below.....and was then being sold the following home games as cut up pieces!!!

Ahhhh memories!

Edited by Kwai San
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

Man I remember how awesome it was to win this game, with Fred Smerlas blocking a FG late to preserve the victory. I remembered almost nothing else from it. Holy crap talk about this game having omens. Scott Norwood missed a 47 yard field goal. Thurman fumbled late in fg range and the game went to OT. 

The only other thing I remember about this game was the euphoria of winning the AFC East for the first time, and the fans storming the field and taking the goal posts down... I'm struggling to imagine a way to celebrate as throughly as the Bills fans did on that day in Rich Stadium. 

Ahh, good times. Thanks for sharing!

• Like (+1) 1

Yup!  I remember this.  Was a freshman in College in Philadelphia and had to fight hard to let the local Eagles fans in the dorm let me and my Buffalo buddies watch the overtime because the 4pm Eagles game had already started on the other channel.  Always loved that footage of the goalposts coming down - like a sinking Ship.  THAT was when it all started.  We went to the AFC Championship and lost to the Bengals, but we were now "In the conversation", which we hadn't been for a LONG time. 

And I haven't felt that same sense of Hope and promise again until now. 

Edited by Irish Dave
  • Like (+1) 2

What's interesting is this was Kelly's third year on the Bills. This is Allen's third year on the Bills as well.

JK to JA!

• Like (+1) 1

Allen made a jump this year.  I was an Allen homer from day 1.  I didnt expect this but hoped.  Going into the season I said Buffalo will go as far as Allen and Edmunds take them.  The second part of the equation was Edmunds.  His year was not the same as Allens.  He played hurt and his play suffered.  The past two weeks his play has improved considerably.  Him telling the team we are not done yet and not where we want to be Sunday night tells me he is where we need him down the stretch.  The heights these 2 can take Buffalo are higher than I could have hoped for.  Buffalo has a chance to win it all for the first time in 25 years.

• Like (+1) 1

I sure as hope to heck us getting the AFCE this week doesn't look this ugly

lol

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I sure as hope to heck us getting the AFCE this week doesn't look this ugly

lol

The commentary at the end is priceless... "Buffalo came out flat today after an emotional destruction of the Dolphins on Monday night... But it's a sign of a good team to be able to  come out and beat a bad team even when they're flat... It also helps when the team they are playing is the Jets." Some things change, and some things stay the same.... 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Man, oh man. Was this the last time Buffalo blocked a FG? Or even a punt for that matter?