ESPN Cover Story: Stefon Diggs Is Buffalo's Miracle Man

BigDingus

Thanks for the great read. With Diggs being 25, we should get to see many more years of his great plays. I love the confidence he brings to the whole offense. Him, Beas and Brown are an incredible threesome. What an amazing change from the years of the no name receivers. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, chris heff said:

I tried to look it up, but who has more 3rd and 4th down conversions, Diggs or Beasley?

Diggs has more numerically (23 combined vs 13) but Beasley has a higher percentage (76.5% vs 69.6% for Diggs)

Diggs has 1 4th down conversion, Bease none (so far)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiggSt00/splits/2020/

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BeasCo00/splits/2020/

That said: Beasley had a truly professional reaction to the Diggs trade.  He was asked in an interview and basically said something to the effect that he'd grown past that and cared about winning and helping the team win more than about his personal role and stats now.  And he meant it.  So the cool thing is that having set his mind to that attitude, Beasley is having a year of great personal success.  He is already at or near a career year in many statistical categories tracked for a WR with 3 games to go - yards, Y/R, Y/Tgt, catch %.  It's just super-cool to see a "team first" attitude result in a career level of personal success.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

McD's observation in that article is spot-on.  The one thing I noticed is how Diggs has upped the play of those around him.  I feel like drops are down this year, and the other receivers are making more ridiculous catches on a routine basis. 

I feel the same.  More toe-drag catches, more going down for a ball, more jumping up for a ball, more ankles being broken across the corps in ways I did not see from Brown and Beasley last year.  

Hard to quantify but there, I believe it.  McD's comments indicate he sees it too.

I also think Diggs challenges Josh to raise his game as far as ball placement and anticipation on a throw in a way a rookie would be unlikely to do, but that perhaps Kirk Cousins would not (did not?) appreciate.

I think this trade was a true win-win for both sides.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

The Saints suffered two years in a row...they also had the Rams blatant PI that wasn't called to cost them their playoff game against them.

And following those 2 years they lost at home to the Vikings on an overtime bomb from Cousins to the 3 and a touchdown to the TE a play or two later.

Diggs makes Beasley, Brown, and Davis more productive.  In terms of coverage and defensive priority Diggs is 1 and 1.  Now what do they do with Beasley, Brown, and Davis?  Last week, first half was Buffalo vs Baltimore.  Thats how teams beat them.  Diggs destroyed that in the second half.  He is getting open by 10 yards on 10 yard routes.  Its unreal.  I like how Daboll changed the attack.  He needs to do it sooner.  In the playoffs you cant give up 1 quarter let alone 2.

• Like (+1) 1

This article reinforced my belief that McDermott's best quality as a coach is he takes players that feel like they have something left to prove, and he gives them every opportunity to prove it. The Bills mantra under this regime has been "come be the best version of yourself" and Diggs is the pinnacle of that.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Diggs has more numerically (23 combined vs 13) but Beasley has a higher percentage (76.5% vs 69.6% for Diggs)

Diggs has 1 4th down conversion, Bease none (so far)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiggSt00/splits/2020/

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BeasCo00/splits/2020/

That said: Beasley had a truly professional reaction to the Diggs trade.  He was asked in an interview and basically said something to the effect that he'd grown past that and cared about winning and helping the team win more than about his personal role and stats now.  And he meant it.  So the cool thing is that having set his mind to that attitude, Beasley is having a year of great personal success.  He is already at or near a career year in many statistical categories tracked for a WR with 3 games to go - yards, Y/R, Y/Tgt, catch %.  It's just super-cool to see a "team first" attitude result in a career level of personal success.

I think this goes back to Daboll and the atmosphere he has created. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if Daboll didn’t let Beasely and Brown know that he wanted to run a Wide Open passing Offense if he had the pieces and that they would be a huge part of it. I think Beasely and Brown already knew Josh, as well, and knew there would be plenty to go around. 

10 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

He is getting open by 10 yards on 10 yard routes. 

I hope Davis is super hungry and takes advantage of the opportunity to have Diggs as a mentor.

Diggs’ footwork is unreal. Some of it is natural ability but a huge part of it is hard work/ repetition.

Watching Diggs lose defenders is like watching Tyson knock people out in his prime.

• Like (+1) 1

I like how the now Bills fans are pushing back and saying Buffalo won the trade.  Funny how the narrative was Buffalo paid too much.  Besides price Diggs would not be more productive than he was for Cousins.  No way Allen gets more out of him.  Now, hes on pace for the best season of his career and will be named first team all pro.  Jefferson is a very good player.  However, Buffalo needed more than a talented pass catcher.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I hope Davis is super hungry and takes advantage of the opportunity to have Diggs as a mentor.

Diggs’ footwork is unreal. Some of it is natural ability but a huge part of it is hard work/ repetition.

Watching Diggs lose defenders is like watching Tyson knock people out in his prime.

In terms of the trade, this is what he brings besides catching the football.  His attitude and swaggers brings so much to this team.

• Like (+1) 1