The “Trap Game” Is A Myth!

eball

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

It exists in the betting world.

One of my best friends, whom I’ve known for 20 years now, is a professionally sports bettor.  That’s all he does to make his money.  We exchange texts daily regarding lines that we like.  He uses the term “trap game” at least 2-3 times a month. In many cases, i scoff at the notion that the game he’s talking about would be a trap game and I don’t bet it. Low and behold, his prediction will come through and he’s laughing all the way to the bank.  

The term may be a myth, from MY experience, it absolutely exists.  

This is where it comes from.  This being a trap game for the bills doesn’t necessarily mean we will lose, but that we won’t cover the spread.  Lose in some cases, but that it’s the prediction of the “trap”

IMO there's usually a bunch of other evidence.  Matchup plays into a bit, as well as recent performance, injuries, and what you've put on film.  A bad gameplan is as likely to tank you as players not being "up".  

1 minute ago, JustWinPlease said:

This is like saying "culture" doesn't mean anything and "momentum" is fake.

Do you work at WGR?

I think momentum in game can exist - moreso when there are fans in the stands.

I think when a team like the jets finishes 7-9 in 2019, and ESPN says they can carry that momentum over to 2020.  That's total bull to me.  Roster turnover is one thing, but its also like 8 months before they play.  Nothing carries over 8 months in sports.  

29 minutes ago, Purplebulldog said:

Two cross country trips in 12 days, short week, elevation.  This is not a trap game but a tough game. I could see us dropping this one. 

Not our best matchup either.  Run/PA/Bootlegs.  Its a lot to put on the LBs.  They've been better lately, and its nice to have milano back.  

On the other side, they're banged up all over so you want to say with good execution buffalo should be able to hurt them.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kenosha2Buffalo said:

Hill is no brees, and Wentz is no hurts. People underestimate a change of the guard.. did you watch the game ?

I watched a lot of it. Hill does suck, but the Saints D really under-performed.

53 minutes ago, MJS said:

Huh? No. The Bills were 6-2 heading into that game. Everyone saw it as a big matchup.

There's a difference in being an underdog and it being a trap game. You think there was any chance the Seahawks would be looking past a matchup with a 6-2 opponent?

Bruh, there were plenty of people on here saying crap like, "they have us between two big division games.  Hoping they overlook us a little!"

I didn't say it.

3 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Has anyone had the McRib at McDonald’s? I had one the other night and it was even better than I remembered. It had probably been 10 years in between sandwiches 

No, but I did order some Beef on Weck from Anderson's for my sister in Virginia!

I ordered some back in late October to see how it came packaged and it was glorious!!! I had two Beef on Weck's for the Patriot's game! It was like I was back home!!!

3 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Has anyone had the McRib at McDonald’s? I had one the other night and it was even better than I remembered. It had probably been 10 years in between sandwiches 

I’ve been meaning to get one before it’s gone👍 Tomorrow might be the day!!!

I like to visit opposing teams message boards each week before we play them to get a sense of what they think will happen in the game.  I saw that the users on the broncos message board called this a trap game for us which I thought was funny.  They also held Allen in the same regard as Nick Wright does... which is they don't think he's the real deal.  What I'd love to see this Saturday, other than a win, is Allen going off for 300+ yards, which is very possible considering all of the injuries to their secondary.  

This makes sense. 

For what it's worth I've seen every Denver game this year because of a stupid season long win total bet I did (vegas had the over and under at 7.5 wins i took the over).  They finished the season strong last year, Lock won 4 out of 5 of his starts.  Lot of good young players added in the past few years Chubb, Jeudy, Hamler, Lock, Fant etc.

They recently beat Miami and played KC tough.  They were #1 in red zone D etc (maybe still are) but they have a bunch of guys out this week and I'm worried less.  Fangio is a great defensive guy but he's not a good game caller at all and plays not to lose (ex. punted at the 50 vs Chiefs with 6 min left on 4th and manageable within one score. Game over)

I wouldn't call this a trap game, and with empty stands being on the road isn't a big deal anymore, but I don't think we will blow this team out.

2 hours ago, Purplebulldog said:

Two cross country trips in 12 days, short week, elevation.  This is not a trap game but a tough game. I could see us dropping this one. 

Lewis and Clark was a "cross country trip."

Buffalo to Denver isn't.

7 hours ago, eball said:

It seems we have to address this every season, but there is NO data to back up the trap game or letdown game myth.  Bottom line — there is no evidence that good teams beat bad teams at a higher or lower rate when they play a good team the week before or the week after that game.

This is an old article but it tells the story.

Stop the madness.

it will be all your fault if they lose!!!!

30 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Trap games don't exist; that's just nonsense discussed by sports fans, like a lot of other things.

But we already knew that.  Why this thread now?

Because in every other thread discussing this game people are calling it a trap game.  This thread needs to be started at least once per season.

• Like (+1) 1

They don't exist, but if anything, the Patriot game would be the trap game since it would come before a game that could determine the division(although very doubtful).  Even tho the Patriots are a divisional opponent, the game against them for all intents and purposes is meaningless.

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

They don't exist, but if anything, the Patriot game would be the trap game since it would come before a game that could determine the division(although very doubtful).  Even tho the Patriots are a divisional opponent, the game against them for all intents and purposes is meaningless.

Any game against the Pats*** is anything but meaningless.