Jets Fan Admitting Josh Allen is Better and Why

mykidsdad

21 hours ago, Greg S said:

They will be making the argument that Lawrence is the best QB in the division once they draft him.

You root for your QB to be the best, plain and simple.

4 hours ago, whorlnut said:

You can’t see this?  Really?  The Pats aren’t playing for anything at this point. By throwing the game, Belichick could keep Lawrence away from the Jets and improve his own draft position. It’s a perfect scenario for the Pats to improve themselves and keep from having to face Lawrence twice a year. 

The Jets are so bad that they could play backups and still beat the Jets.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Darnold would have been a better QB had he went to Buffalo but his ceiling would have been nowhere near what Allen’s is.. Allen would have been out of the league in 5 years had he went to the Jets.. Maybe Darnold would’ve been a fringe top 10 QB here.. maybe..

That's a pretty fair analysis. 

Mahomes would not be "Mahomes" on a lot of teams. Hill said he was "trash" year #1. 

Where you're drafted has a lot to do with your success if you're a developmental QB. 

• Like (+1) 2

Going back to that 2018 draft class, there was a wide variance of opinion regarding who should be the top selection.

Pure scouts and football guys loved Allen's off-the-charts physical attributes and limitless ceiling.

Analytics guys favored Mayfield, who was undersized but posted eye-popping numbers and won a college championship.

Darnold had played in a big-time program against quality opposition and posted stellar numbers his final year in school.

Rosen was viewed as the most polished of all of them.

(I ignore Lamar Jackson, because he was never in consideration for the first overall pick)

Josh Allen had a number of red flags associated with him -- primarily because he was viewed as so raw coming out of Wyoming. While these views were all certainly well-founded, it is evident now that Josh has worked his way through them and matured at an accelerated rate. It's hard to believe that such a raw specimen as Josh Allen was literally forced into action in his first NFL game -- playing behind a horrific offense line with a crew of no-name receivers. Can you really argue that any of the other 1st round QBs (including Darnold) were in a less enviable situation?

Now in his 3rd year, Josh Allen is a top 5 NFL QB by any measure. He is putting up Aaron Rodgers-in-his-prime stats (and lets remember that Rodgers didn't even start until year 4, had the benefit of sitting behind Brett Favre for 3 seasons and had an excellent supporting cast). Every receiver that has played with Allen -- Brown, Beasley and now Diggs --

If the 2018 draft were held again and all the teams knew then what they know now, Josh Allen would have been the first overall pick. Anyone who would argue any differently (Aikman, B. Jones, etc.) simply refuses to admit that they were wrong.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Will Trevor Lawrence spurn the Jets?

Anyone can see this coming a mile away.

Unless they clean house totally before the draft he’d be wise to pull an Elway-Manning. If they bring in a good group to replace whats there in the way of coaches he should be fine there. They have some good pieces and he would get a lot of credit for bringing them back maybe three years down the road. Besides, I really like the idea of Belichek having to face ten years of Allen, Lawrence and Tua.

9 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Unless they clean house totally before the draft he’d be wise to pull an Elway-Manning. If they bring in a good group to replace whats there in the way of coaches he should be fine there. They have some good pieces and he would get a lot of credit for bringing them back maybe three years down the road. Besides, I really like the idea of Belichek having to face ten years of Allen, Lawrence and Tua.

Tua isn't going to be in Miami for 10 years, I wouldn't be shocked if they draft a QB in the 2021 draft.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Will Trevor Lawrence spurn the Jets?

Anyone can see this coming a mile away.

If the Jets make the right changes Lawrence will go there and be happy that he did.  If you make it in NY you will be elevated above almost every other sports icon in every possible sport. 

16 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Tua isn't going to be in Miami for 10 years, I wouldn't be shocked if they draft a QB in the 2021 draft.

Havent seen enuf of him. First impressions are maybe starting caliber but not truly franchise. Accuracy is good, arm strength leaves me unimpressed so far. Just average. We shall see. JMO but Herbert was probably the guy. Clone of Josh.

One reason Allen is outplaying the rest of that class is the same reason haters latched onto him pre and post-draft: Allen was from a small school.

The rest of the class came from Power 5 schools and these programs, of course, attract the best talent in the nation. That talent enabled Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, and Jackson to throw to better receivers with more separation from behind offensive lines that protected consistently well.  Josh, on the other hand, had to throw into much tighter windows to complete balls to well-covered receivers - when he wasn't getting pressured behind an average small school line. This, of course, contributed to his college "accuracy".

Problem is, everyone EVERYONE in the NFL is very very good. Tight windows to throw at are the standard. Pass rushers are vicious. These are not issues the rest of that draft class faced to the same extent in college. But in a relative sense, playing at Wyoming was, for Allen, more like the NFL. I believe the experience served him well.

Edited by theRalph
  • Like (+1) 1

Coaching matters! Yet, Josh and Sam use the same offseason coach?  Maybe Josh’s eternal make up is better than Darnold’s....Darnold didn’t have Allen’s struggles.  Top QB in high school went to top college and had a WR cast and RB that are all in the NFL.  Allen had none of that, we all know his story.  Allen just simply has more heart and talent.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/16/2020 at 8:24 AM, warrior9 said:

Justin Fields is more Haskins than he is Josh Allen. 

Be honest, what was your take on Haskins coming out (I'm pretty sure I remember it what your take was).

I didn’t like Haskins actually. I didn’t watch many of the QBs though because I new we were not looking for one.