Pegulas openly championing Leslie Frazier for HC openings

JÂy RÛßeÒ

1 hour ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Oof, I feel for Dick LeBeau.  A legendary DC in his time that the game left by the wayside. 

In his time? Left by the wayside?!

Ummm, it was just Jan 6, 2018 that Dick Lebeau won an NFL playoff game on the road with a Titans defense rotating a dozen guys you've never heard of.

And he did it at 81 years old after nearly 60 years in the NFL just two playoffs ago.

At no point in this man's life has football ever left him by the wayside.

You should have more respect for one of the greatest men to have ever been involved in the sport at any level.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I could see a team hiring a guy like Frazier. He went 10-6 with Christian Ponder as his QB and is a calming presences. A team looking for a reset and establishing a good culture could be interested in him

I could Jacksonville, Atlanta, Detroit

Marvin Lewis is gonna get some interviews too for the same reason

Maybe a team with a vet QB looking to build a better defense around them (Atlanta or Detroit) could take a look at him. But if I am going with a retread as a coach give me one with a more proven track record than Frazier 

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

No organization can do that for the HC position.

I know, but happened all the time for positional coaches. Always thought that would be terrible for morale to be blocked from interviewing for a promotion and a sign of a dysfunctional organization.

7 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I could see a team hiring a guy like Frazier. He went 10-6 with Christian Ponder as his QB and is a calming presences. A team looking for a reset and establishing a good culture could be interested in him

I could Jacksonville, Atlanta, Detroit

Marvin Lewis is gonna get some interviews too for the same reason

If he was 55 Leslie would be gone. But what is the point of hiring a guy to establish a culture who probably can't see that through in the longer term because of his age? I just don't see it. If he was 5 years younger he'd have been gone last offseason IMO. Marv is a different kettle of fish. He is similar in age terms but he won 4 division titles, is above .500 (though only just) and made the playoffs 7 times with a franchise that both before he arrived and in the immediate aftermath of his departure is a bit of a train wreck. I have asid it before but the passage of time will make Marvin Lewis's job in Cincy look better than it did. Because that is the most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL and while they definitely underachieved with a couple of the teams he had in his run his overall performance both building and coaching those teams in that environment was an overachievement.

Still, I don't think Marv will be an NFL Head Coach again, though I agree he will likely get an interview or two.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBobs said:

I know, but happened all the time for positional coaches. Always thought that would be terrible for morale to be blocked from interviewing for a promotion and a sign of a dysfunctional organization.

Well they are just lateral transfers so why wouldn't teams, Now with the draft pick compensation thing maybe that stops that.  I also think those teams talk to the coach, and take heat blocking for a coach that says yeah I dont want that position, but I also dont want to tell them NO (burn a bridge)

Edited by MAJBobby

Very classy and savvy move by the Pegulas, Beane and McDermott.

Success helps breed success. If coaching talent believes the Bills are a stepping stone to a successful career, they will want to come to Buffalo. Same for players. 

Edited by Max Fischer

26 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

In house and can call McDs Defense.

Also I would argue the DL has been getting better every week - almost like a bunch of new guys on it with a short to no offseason.  When was the last game they gave 100 yard rusher?

We’re giving up 119 rushing yards per game.. The fact that we’re campaigning for Frazier to be a HC is laughable.. Bills are like the 19th - 20th ranked defense in the NFL.

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

I don't think either of our coordinator's get taken this year.  Too many other options: Bineiemy, Butler (Steelers, DC)--who seems to get no love from the national media for a HC position, despite having a great D;  Saleh; Roman; McDaniels; Stefanski; Toub; just to name a few.  

As usual, it’ll depend on Black Monday carnage. But I hear & see things about Daboll nearly every day now. There will be some openings and he’ll be highly considered.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Frazier deserves another chance at HC more than many who have gotten it.

Really? Name one. Black head coaches can be just as bad as white head coaches.  There is no discrimination when it comes to bad head coaches.

Edited by FUTURIST

30 minutes ago, Simon said:

In his time? Left by the wayside?!

Ummm, it was just Jan 6, 2018 that Dick Lebeau won an NFL playoff game on the road with a Titans defense rotating a dozen guys you've never heard of.

And he did it at 81 years old after nearly 60 years in the NFL just two playoffs ago.

At no point ever in this man's life has football ever left him by the wayside.

You should have more respect for one of the greatest men to have ever been involved in the sport at any level.

Oof, mea culpa!

Edited by Coffeesforclosers
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think having a HC cailber DC is never a bad thing. Frazier leaving might lose a little bit of professionalism but I would like to think McDermott knows what he wants and will get just that or move on from any replacement. 

48 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

As usual, it’ll depend on Black Monday carnage. But I hear & see things about Daboll nearly every day now. There will be some openings and he’ll be highly considered.

Remember that not that long ago some people wanted to replace Daboll? Well, they might get their wish, and that would suck IMO! 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I don't think either of our coordinator's get taken this year.  Too many other options: Bineiemy, Butler (Steelers, DC)--who seems to get no love from the national media for a HC position, despite having a great D;  Saleh; Roman; McDaniels; Stefanski; Toub; just to name a few.  

Isn't Stefanski a head coach already?

Roman? Doubtful since their offense has taken a step back.

McDaniels? He's not going anywhere.

Brian Daboll is as good as gone...you don't take a raw prospect that nobody saw as franchise QB, turn him into one, and not get picked to be a HC.

Teams want young offensive minds and that's Brian Daboll.

12 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

Brian Daboll is as good as gone...you don't take a raw prospect that nobody saw as franchise QB, turn him into one, and not get picked to be a HC.

I think that the lustre is off of Belichick ‘s minions. Although Flores has done well in Miami, if you look across the league, his coaching tree has lost more jobs then anyone else’s over the last six years. McDaniels has already failed, hasn’t felt an impressive offense with Cam and already blew it with Indianapolis. I would love to see the Jets hire him though.

Edited by MiltonWaddams

5 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

I agree

Brian Daboll is going to get allot of attention and his time under McD gives him a very good example to go by IMO.

Brian Daboll in New York coaching up Trevor Lawrence could happen IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

We’re giving up 119 rushing yards per game.. The fact that we’re campaigning for Frazier to be a HC is laughable.. Bills are like the 19th - 20th ranked defense in the NFL.

So waiting on that 100 yard rusher

3 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

I think Ken Dorsey will be running the Bills Offense next year.  I am fine with that.  Daboll is probably headed to the Jets. He is a master with young quarterbacks and he is going to get the top young quarterback in the NFL from Clemson. I think that Chargers job is the dream job though.  A coach can come in and win the Super Bowl in year 1 with that team.

Didn't the Charger GM and Daboll attend St. Francis together?

15 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So waiting on that 100 yard rusher

Most teams don’t have a primary #1 back these days.. Most teams have taken a RBC approach.. 100 yard rusher or not we’re still the 19th ranked rushing defense. That’s the ultimate stat anyway. Whether they dice you with one back or two, does it matter? Either way you’re getting filleted. 

Just now, Victory Formation said:

Most teams don’t have a primary #1 back these days.. Most teams have taken a RBC approach.. 100 yard rusher or not we’re still the 19th ranked rushing defense. That’s the ultimate stat anyway. Whether they dice you with one back or two, does it matter? Either way you’re getting filleted. 

Cool that we have fixed the leagues worst Run Defense to get to middle of the pack in a couple weeks.  Nice.  Seems like a nice endorsement for the DL Coach, DC and others.