Plus or Minus that Allen keeps throwing to struggling receivers?

AKC

Josh continues throwing to targets who have let him down in games. He does not seem to have any of the “punish receivers who drop passes” reaction that’s not uncommon in this league among passers, even the better passers. Last night he continued feeding Gabriel Davis and Dawson Knox after they’d let passes go that should have been brought down. The flip side of the coin is Diggs who preaches to all of them to catch the ball before doing anything else. Not that Diggs doesn’t have a couple drops this season but he’s exponentially more reliable than Knox. Glad he was successful lobbying for the ball at halftime last night!

• Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Plus or minus what?

I don't get the question either -  I would think that Josh should keep throwing to the open man. If the open man is performing poorly - then a coaching decision must be made. this is not something that Josh should be thinking about as he is in the pocket scanning the field. Just find the open man & get the ball to him.   

• Like (+1) 7

6 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Plus or minus what?

Seems like he meant is it a positive or negative trait that Josh does this.  On the one hand, it gives a struggling receiver a chance to get their confidence back.  On the other, it might piss off a guy like Diggs (or anyone else consistently catching the ball) to see Davis and Knox to get balls their way in a game where they not come down with multiple catchable balls.  I worried about that with G. Davis last night, and found myself saying stop throwing his way. I felt a lot Knox's balls were tough catches. But Davis came down with the touchdown later after not competing well on balls that were catchable earlier so guess it worked out. 

Edited by vtnatefootball11

And this isn't meant to be a zing against the OP, but if Josh had been forcing the throw to Beasley or Diggs when they *weren't* open because of dropped passes or miscues previously, he would be getting ROASTED all across this board for that very thing. And honestly, he should be - you throw the guy open or you throw to the open guy, everyone of them is a professional and Josh has to trust that they take that as seriously as he does. Mistakes are going to happen and on the cold night against that Defense, probably the best they've seen all year, you have to know there will be a mistake here or there. Bigger question: do they get better as the game goes on? Do they improve from week-to-week? To both of those questions thus far, Yes. 

So, while Knox has had his ups and downs, he's been better on the whole than he was in his Rookie year. Add in COVID, no Pre-Season and an improved slate of competition and what we're seeing is a incremental development of an NFL TE who was raw when he came into the league. Give him to this time next year to see just what the Bills have in him as a TE before presuming he's not any good - not that I'm suggesting anyone is saying that, but let's not rush to judgment. 

I've posted it in other places on this board, but TE is notorious for taking several years, even the great ones, before you can see the true potential come to fruition. I believe Knox will be the same: third year, a big step forward, and fourth year - we see his real worth to the Offense.

• Like (+1) 6

If by struggling receivers you mean Dawson Knox then no.. Zack Moss was benched last week for a costly fumble, Knox should be treated no different if he drops a critical pass.. Problem is, we are so devoid of talent at TE that we have nobody to replace him with.. All things even you pass to someone else before you pass to Knox.. If he’s wide open you have no choice but to hit him..

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, AKC said:

Josh continues throwing to targets who have let him down in games. He does not seem to have any of the “punish receivers who drop passes” reaction that’s not uncommon in this league among passers, even the better passers. Last night he continued feeding Gabriel Davis and Dawson Knox after they’d let passes go that should have been brought down. The flip side of the coin is Diggs who preaches to all of them to catch the ball before doing anything else. Not that Diggs doesn’t have a couple drops this season but he’s exponentially more reliable than Knox. Glad he was successful lobbying for the ball at halftime last night!

Josh makes mistakes too.  It happens.  You gotta forget it and move on to the next play.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

If by struggling receivers you mean Dawson Knox then no.. Zack Moss was benched last week for a costly fumble, Knox should be treated no different if he drops a critical pass.. Problem is, we are so devoid of talent at TE that we have nobody to replace him with.. All things even you pass to someone else before you pass to Knox.. If he’s wide open you have no choice but to hit him..

And that happened last night.

4th quarter, 3rd & 11. Big moment in the game. The receivers went deep, and Knox was off to the side and wide open. Allen hits him with the pass and Knox picked up the first down.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think he trusts them all. I don't think he is going to blame guys for making occasional mistakes. That would be hypocritical because HE makes mistakes too. Even Diggs has made a couple mistakes in games (not hurrying back to the line of scrimmage in a hurry up situation, and dropping a couple catchable balls).

If you start "punishing" your teammates, where will that get you? Besides, it's up to the coaches to change the personel if they seem it necessary, like holding out Moss after his horrible fumble.

• Like (+1) 1

Knox is a huge mismatch. I get the whipping boy status some of it is deserved but he’s arguably the biggest mismatch we have on offense. If Kroft is staying inactive we are just gonna have to deal with the good and bad from Knox. He had a few really key plays to win that game last night despite the bad plays. Each week someone has to be open because of how many weapons Allen has, as we get to crunch times Knox could have some important snaps. As I said with the defense earlier this season I’ll take the bad now if he gets hot in the playoffs. 

It's not like there are multiple options, or time.

I'd rather he threw to guys who are open than to guys who are covered by defensive backs who can catch.

Run the play. Get the ball to guys who are open.

If they miss, get rid of them in the off season.

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

I’ve been the biggest Knox fan and I get he’s athletic .but ball security continues to plague him. And he’s simply not a great blocker. I’m for going with Kroft at this point. 

30 minutes ago, Jobot said:

And the most out of touch with reality award goes to...

Yikes strong lack of understanding of QB play and game planning. Davis has been unreal and yes dropped a few last night. But he’s great route running and excellent blocker. Knox on the other hand is consistently inconsistent.

JA throws to open guy. We don’t want him forcing to any one wr. Bodes well for this O when smoke comes back 👍

Edited by QLBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1