Thoughts on Chris Brown - One Bills Live?

Matt_In_NH

16 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Yeah Schoop is pompous....last week he admitted the Bills are "just material" to him which on one hand I kind of get but it comes across bad in my opinion to say that especially when he lives and works in the market.   Its like he is lacking of any human factors.

I agree on Murphy also, the overall radio talent in Buffalo is lacking.  I do like Sal, he puts a lot of work in and that is obvious.  Also seems like a good dude.

Care to list the ones you like?

cover1-  Eric Turner should probably be working for an nfl team imo.  I’ve learned so much over the years of watching his content.  His breakdowns are gold.  Gregg is amazing at what he does. He doesn’t have the technical knowledge that Eric has, but he’s a great middle man to deliver the info.  His side kick get too mad at social media.  He’s passionate and I respect it.  

Buffalo Fanatics.  Rico does a nice job of being a homer but also covering the stuff we don’t like to hear.  He’s never at a loss for words.  The channel has expanded in a big way and has hired several other bills content creators to do their shows on his channel.  They have content nightly and have had interviews with the likes of Dion Dawkins, Mario Addison and lil dirty mckenzie in recent weeks. Joe Miller is awesome on the mic and judge Mathis and Dave Tilton are a fun listen. Muki Hawkins, bills reporter, is also involved weekly.  They’re starting to sellout some though.  Now they have a weekly show with muki and a guy that sells merch and autographs.  I won’t watch that show.  

NYup-  they are professional reporters, not content creators.  Matt Parrino is awesome.  He’s great at what he does and I think he has a great future in whatever sport he decides to cover.  He’s a western NY kid that paved his way covering the UFC in Vegas and now has his dream job of covering his favorite team. Ryan Talbot, who chimes in here from time to time is a solid side kick.  Not as charismatic at Matt, but I lrespect his opinions and he puts in work.

Hashtag sports.  Mario and Paul are as real as they come.  Good guys.  Good conversations.  Solid content. 

Dan Mitchell is the ultimate Bills homer.  His knowledge of the game is a bit behind the others, in some respects he seems kind of clueless, but he’s entertaining (sometimes) and seems like a good guy just trying to make a name for himself.  He also does a podcast with former bills S Aaron Williams. Yo ho ho

Madmen sports-  a bootleg man cave show with 3 different personalities. Genuine guys that don’t sell out.  Diamond Dave cracks me up. 

I also listen to the cold front report and built in Buffalo depending on if we win or lose. There are a few more that I have subbed to, I’m just forgetting their names off the top of my head.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

They are all exactly what anyone should expect, being Kim is all powerful she gets what she wants, in this case an all women’s hosted sports talk program, which is great and likely grows the Bills market some, they aren’t and never will be an independent sports talking heads show. I don’t understand why people don’t grasp this little nugget of obviousness..., 

Go Bills!!!

48 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I rarely never listen to any bills owned media anymore.

Fixed.  It's all pretty awful.  I just don't like homer reporting in any shape or fashion.  Can't stand listening to any team's local announcers/reporters, truthfully.  I want a national broadcast with neutral reporting.

I actually like brown more than Murphy as a host. We all love Tasker as a person, but as a radio host he's not good. 

The thing that drives me nuts about brown sometimes, is his crazy Homer comments every now and then. Let me give an example. Back when we were around 4 or 5 wins, brown said something on air about how "the bills are a perennial playoff team" . I understand the expectations are high this year, but to say the bills are a perennial playoff team when they've made the playoffs twice in 20 years, is like the most Homer thing I've ever heard, and I'm not taking that quote out of context. 

Just now, eball said:

Fixed.  It's all pretty awful.  I just don't like homer reporting in any shape or fashion.  Can't stand listening to any team's local announcers/reporters, truthfully.  I want a national broadcast with neutral reporting.

I wrote that initially....then I realized that I listened a couple times just to give them the benefit of the doubt.  A complete waste of my time. Glad you didn’t waste your time too!

I remember when Brown was the beat reporter for WGR and he was great at it as he had the inside scoop and felt he knew what was going on yet could be critical. Essential he was what Sal is supposed to be. I like him better than Murphy by a long shot and yes some of his takes are questionable and his yelling isn't great radio but still think better than the guys on WGR. As Bulldog since he's had the kid just isn't what he used to be and Schoop feels like Tom Beuherle with "I'm better than you" pompous attitude. 

I try to avoid team-owned media, as they have an inherent bias.  As to Murphy, I've heard his play-by-play and it just isn't very good.  He sounds like the voice of a Division III football program.  He is not in the same league as a Van Miller or Rick Jeanneret.  I wasn't a huge fan of the late Ted Darling, but he was solid and in a higher league than Murphy too.   I get the sense that Murphy is probably a great guy, but just not a great listen.

32 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think most everyone is fine, except for Schopp and the Bulldog.. I don't vibe with their "shtick".

Bulldog just needs to be separated from Schopp, IMO. He was on with Sal the other day and it was a good listen. They are both personable guys and work well/complement one another. Schopp always seems to be trying too hard  to be 'the smartest man in the room' but just comes across as a general douche and disinterested in talking Buffalo sports.. He is a poor man's Colin Cowturd.

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

cover1-  Eric Turner should probably be working for an nfl team imo.  I’ve learned so much over the years of watching his content.  His breakdowns are gold.  Gregg is amazing at what he does. He doesn’t have the technical knowledge that Eric has, but he’s a great middle man to deliver the info.  His side kick get too mad at social media.  He’s passionate and I respect it.  

Buffalo Fanatics.  Rico does a nice job of being a homer but also covering the stuff we don’t like to hear.  He’s never at a loss for words.  The channel has expanded in a big way and has hired several other bills content creators to do their shows on his channel.  They have content nightly and have had interviews with the likes of Dion Dawkins, Mario Addison and lil dirty mckenzie in recent weeks. Joe Miller is awesome on the mic and judge Mathis and Dave Tilton are a fun listen. Muki Hawkins, bills reporter, is also involved weekly.  They’re starting to sellout some though.  Now they have a weekly show with muki and a guy that sells merch and autographs.  I won’t watch that show.  

NYup-  they are professional reporters, not content creators.  Matt Parrino is awesome.  He’s great at what he does and I think he has a great future in whatever sport he decides to cover.  He’s a western NY kid that paved his way covering the UFC in Vegas and now has his dream job of covering his favorite team. Ryan Talbot, who chimes in here from time to time is a solid side kick.  Not as charismatic at Matt, but I lrespect his opinions and he puts in work.

Hashtag sports.  Mario and Paul are as real as they come.  Good guys.  Good conversations.  Solid content. 

Dan Mitchell is the ultimate Bills homer.  His knowledge of the game is a bit behind the others, in some respects he seems kind of clueless, but he’s entertaining (sometimes) and seems like a good guy just trying to make a name for himself.  He also does a podcast with former bills S Aaron Williams. Yo ho ho

Madmen sports-  a bootleg man cave show with 3 different personalities. Genuine guys that don’t sell out.  Diamond Dave cracks me up. 

I also listen to the cold front report and built in Buffalo depending on if we win or lose. There are a few more that I have subbed to, I’m just forgetting their names off the top of my head.  

'Locked on Bills' with former Grand Islander Joe Marino.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I love when Brownie gets all passionate...makes me laugh because it reminds me of a regular fan...😂👍

Which is not at all what I want when I listen to a radio show. The guy is always shouting.

But to each their own, and obviously he has fans.

33 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

I used to be a daily listener to the Podcast, but haven't listened much since Murph left.  I like him a lot.

I was never that much of a Brownie fan, because he always came across as a bit arrogant.  However, I listened to a couple episodes from last week, and I thought he was doing a much better job.  Yeah, his yelling is bloody annoying but he's not as bad as he used to me.

It's the callers that still cause me the most frustration.

(Stop calling in and talking about Tasker making the HOF!  He doesn't want to hear it, and it slows the show down to a screeching halt.)

Yeah, I cringe daily when callers tell Tasker how amazing he is and how he should be in the Hall. How people haven't gotten a clue by now is beyond me.

15 minutes ago, Tuel Time said:

Which is not at all what I want when I listen to a radio show. The guy is always shouting.

But to each their own, and obviously he has fans.

Yeah, I definitely prefer him to Murph...and I actually think Brown and Tasker’s styles play off each other really well too...👍

I'd like Buffalo to re-structure their media talent as they hopefully remain a top NFL team in the coming years.

Murphy's PbP voie is horrid and particularly with many of us remembering Van Miller's calls.  

Then again, they are likely under contract and there's no telling how long those last.  But for goodness sake find a real PbP guy minus the fake radio voice.  That'd go a long way to featuring a better media broadcast.

1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

Don't forget Maddie -- that voice is hard to listen to. Might be a nice girl - but not enjoyable to hear on the radio.

I have only heard her on the radio - never have seen her - perhaps she has other qualities that might endear an audience besides her lovely voice (I hope so, lol).

I turn it off when Maddie is on, she is unbearable to listen to IMO

I really like Brown. He, at least, knows a little about football and the x's and o's (more than Murphy, at least). I think most of his opinions are reasonable. Tasker is better than he used to be, but he is the one that has some outlandish takes every so often. And his interview questions are sometimes train wrecks.

Overall I like them both. I usually skip over any segment with Maddy Glab. I find her annoying.

2 hours ago, mattynh said:

Living outside of WNY I listen to OBL often and even though the host performance is something I kind of complain about I listen anyway.  It was Murphy and I was not a fan, now its Brown and really have a hard time with some of his takes. He seems to overemphasize certain things and he goes on these rampages where  he kind of shouts so loud it saturates the levels and hurts my ears.   Tasker does better during the season than the offseason.   What are other thoughts on Brown as the host, I think he is kind of weak.

When I posted a similar thread about Sal Cappacio (with more substance to the gripe), it was locked by moderators and was told to write to WGR with my issue.  Curious how this take on Brown is allowed to stand.  Seems to be no consistency with board management and wanting to protect a sideline reporter “who got started on the boards.” As public figures covering the team, all criticism should be welcome.

Edited by krf139

I thought I'd give Chris Brown a vote of confidence if you don't mind.  He's not bad and he's been with the Bills forever.  Yeah he's kind of weird but whatever, it's his personality.  And Tasker isn't the smoothest but he's a retired Bills legend so he gets a pass in my book..  It's great having him around for his perspective and a great link to those amazing teams in the 90's.  I'll take that any day.

Listen, folks gotta stop worrying about the little stuff right now.  We're living the dream right now for Pete's sake.  Please just sit back and enjoy the ride a little more.  I for one have been waiting an awfully long friggin' time for this to happen. 

Edited by Distorted One
  • Like (+1) 1

Schopp, I cannot put my finger on it, but the dude makes me so mad sometimes and other times I want to like him. His Bills takes, are his takes, but its his personality. The maddest I've ever gotten was when he was trying to make this joke on Christianity, and Bulldog wasnt taking the bait, so Schopp just kep saying and saying it 😡

Yall dont know me personally, but I have thick skin and can take a joke, but he just wouldnt stop. I feel that if Huffinton Post ever decides to have a sports department with fantasy sports as its main topic then he should take that job in a heart beat and he can add his little jabs of his personal feelings run free and happy!

31 minutes ago, Distorted One said:

I thought I'd give Chris Brown a vote of confidence if you don't mind.  He's not bad and he's been with the Bills forever.  Yeah he's kind of weird but whatever, it's his personality.  And Tasker isn't the smoothest but he's a retired Bills legend so he gets a pass in my book..  It's great having him around for his perspective and a great link to those amazing teams in the 90's.  I'll take that any day.

Listen, folks gotta stop worrying about the little stuff right now.  We're living the dream right now for Pete's sake.  Please just sit back and enjoy the ride a little more.  I for one have been waiting an awfully long friggin' time for this to happen. 

One can be ecstatic about how the team is playing and at the same time talk about the local coverage and even criticize them.   We don't have to pretend "everything" in the world is perfect because the Bills are good for the first time in 25 years.  I for one am enjoying this, pretty sure nearly everyone on this board is.