"Kiddo"

Tiberius

“Madame First Lady — Mrs. Biden — Jill — kiddo: a bit of advice on what might seem like a small but I think is not an unimportant matter,” writer Joseph Epstein began. “Any chance you might drop the ‘Dr.’ before your name? ‘Dr. Jill Biden’ sounds and feels a touch fraudulent, not to mention comical.”

https://news.yahoo.com/jill-biden-backlash-wsj-op-114159140.html

An opinion writer's suggestion that the next US First Lady Jill Biden should stop referring to herself as "Dr" has sparked an angry reaction online.

Joseph Epstein called Jill Biden "kiddo", comparing her doctorate in education to an honorary degree.

"'Dr Jill Biden' sounds and feels fraudulent, not to say a touch comic," he wrote in the Wall Street Journal.

While I totally agree that PhD doctors who insist on "Dr" are pompous-sounding, the only thing that really moves me here is that some moron thought this was a worthwhile letter to write to the WSJ. 

The Journal only published it to get eyeballs. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shoshin said:

While I totally agree that PhD doctors who insist on "Dr" are pompous-sounding, the only thing that really moves me here is that some moron thought this was a worthwhile letter to write to the WSJ. 

I work with a lot of PhDs.  Some insist on being called Doctor and some don't.  Jill Biden teaches at a college.  As I recall, using the Dr. label in and educational setting is common.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

I work with a lot of PhDs.  Some insist on being called Doctor and some don't.  Jill Biden teaches at a college.  As I recall, using the Dr. label in and educational setting is common.

I recognize where it comes from but it's just pretentious. Allowed, but pretentious. 

Almost, but not quite as bad, as attorneys who append Esq. after their names. That thankfully seems to be going out of vogue. 

17 hours ago, shoshin said:

Yeah I mean people that insist on being called that but you shouldn't call her Mrs. Biden either if your going with that kind of vernacular you should call her Dr. Biden because she did *****ing earn it.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, shoshin said:

It wasn't a moron. It was Joseph Epstein, a pretty smart guy (albeit poorly credentialed academically; that's part of the fun he's having here) and a damn good writer.

The only people offended are the hypersensitive, including (probably) those other pompous asses who ask to be called "Dr."

She has the same degree -- an Ed.D., not a Ph.D. -- as Bill Cosby. I remember the credits on the Cosby show always ending with a reference to "Dr. William H. Cosby." I get that people are proud of their degrees, but really ... let it go, Dr. Jill.

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It wasn't a moron. It was Joseph Epstein, a pretty smart guy (albeit poorly credentialed academically; that's part of the fun he's having here) and a damn good writer.

The only people offended are the hypersensitive, including (probably) those other pompous asses who ask to be called "Dr."

She has the same degree -- an Ed.D., not a Ph.D. -- as Bill Cosby. I remember the credits on the Cosby show always ending with a reference to "Dr. William H. Cosby." I get that people are proud of their degrees, but really ... let it go, Dr. Jill.

No. She earned the degree so she’s not in Cosby’s ridiculous club of being called doctor. That’s an entirely different planet of obnoxiousness. 

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah I mean people that insist on being called that but you shouldn't call her Mrs. Biden either if your going with that kind vernacular you should call her Dr. Biden because she did *****ing earn it.

This I agree with. If you have to address someone, choose the right prefix. 

Speaking of prefixes, the historical miniseries Mrs America was stellar. 

I have a Ph.D.  The doctoral degree is the highest academic degree that can be offered by a university.  Jill Biden should be proud of that, and to refer to her as Dr. Biden is appropriate.  I generally don't get caught up in it myself.  Because I do clinical things it's entirely appropriate for patients to refer to me as Dr., and at the universities where I teach it I am referred to as Dr., which again is expected and appropriate.  But if I'm talking to my kid's friends and they call me Mr., no big deal.  To me the guy that wrote the editorial seemed kind of envious, and of course the "kiddo" reference was completely ridiculous and demeaning.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, shoshin said:

If someone uses a prefix in a setting, it should be the right one. But people who run around  insisting on “doctor” are obnoxious. Mostly a thing of the past. 

Is she running around insisting on being called "doctor"?  Seems like Joseph Epstein is the one running around and purposely being condescending and insulting kiddo.

2 hours ago, shoshin said:

No. She earned the degree so she’s not in Cosby’s ridiculous club of being called doctor. That’s an entirely different planet of obnoxiousness. 

This I agree with. If you have to address someone, choose the right prefix. 

Speaking of prefixes, the historical miniseries Mrs America was stellar. 

Hmmm....

Mrs. America is an American historical drama television miniseries produced by FX and originally aired on sister streaming service FX on Hulu. Created and co-written by Davhi Waller and directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, Amma Asante, Laure de Clermont-Tonnerre and Janicza Bravo, the series details the political movement to pass the Equal Rights Amendment and the unexpected backlash led by conservative activist Phyllis Schlafly in the 1970s. It features a large ensemble cast led by Cate Blanchett, Rose Byrne, Uzo Aduba, Elizabeth Banks, Margo Martindale, John Slattery, Tracey Ullman, and Sarah Paulson.

The nine-part series premiered in the United States on April 15, 2020 to widespread critical acclaim. At the 72nd Primetime Emmy Awards, it received ten nominations including Outstanding Limited Series and Outstanding Writing, as well as acting nominations for Blanchett, Aduba, Martindale, and Ullman,[1] with Aduba winning Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie.[2]

Looks interesting. I just became aware that Ken Burns had taken on the Nam 

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-vietnam-war/home/ Have been watching and its really good 

18 hours ago, Scraps said:

My Grade 10 Chemistry teacher was a "Dr." As was my Grade 9 Social Studies teacher.  They used the title.

Why is it more important to be a MD or DO?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

54 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Hmmm....

Mrs. America is an American historical drama television miniseries produced by FX and originally aired on sister streaming service FX on Hulu. Created and co-written by Davhi Waller and directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, Amma Asante, Laure de Clermont-Tonnerre and Janicza Bravo, the series details the political movement to pass the Equal Rights Amendment and the unexpected backlash led by conservative activist Phyllis Schlafly in the 1970s. It features a large ensemble cast led by Cate Blanchett, Rose Byrne, Uzo Aduba, Elizabeth Banks, Margo Martindale, John Slattery, Tracey Ullman, and Sarah Paulson.

The nine-part series premiered in the United States on April 15, 2020 to widespread critical acclaim. At the 72nd Primetime Emmy Awards, it received ten nominations including Outstanding Limited Series and Outstanding Writing, as well as acting nominations for Blanchett, Aduba, Martindale, and Ullman,[1] with Aduba winning Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie.[2]

Funny thing: The person who recommended it is my friend from Sweden. He messaged me telling me that his family was enjoying it and assumed I knew all about it. 

It's a story I was too young to remember. When I told my mom about it, she said, "I lived that miniseries. F*** Phyllis Shaffley." Hahaha.

Looks interesting. I just became aware that Ken Burns had taken on the Nam 

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-vietnam-war/home/ Have been watching and its really good 

Will check it out.

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I have a Ph.D.  The doctoral degree is the highest academic degree that can be offered by a university.  Jill Biden should be proud of that, and to refer to her as Dr. Biden is appropriate.  I generally don't get caught up in it myself.  Because I do clinical things it's entirely appropriate for patients to refer to me as Dr., and at the universities where I teach it I am referred to as Dr., which again is expected and appropriate.  But if I'm talking to my kid's friends and they call me Mr., no big deal.  To me the guy that wrote the editorial seemed kind of envious, and of course the "kiddo" reference was completely ridiculous and demeaning.

I shall forever refer to you as Dr. OldManFan.  

Personally, in an academic/clinical setting I would refer to you as Dr. OMF.  I agree you earned it, I certainly acknowledge the commitment it took to achieve your goal, but it really just boils down to courtesy and the psychology behind it all.  To be completely honest, if you're engaging me in a clinical setting, the Dr. moniker is important to me.  I don't want "Rick, the guy from Elmira" treating or advising me, I want good old Dr. OMF giving me the downlow.  Taking it one step further, in that setting, I'd personally hope you would refer to me by my first name, mostly because that simple familiarity would be reassuring to me.  Others probably would prefer to be addressed as Mr/Mrs/Ms.  

Outside of that environment, I guess I would go with in-kind responses. I'm assuming in social settings you introduce yourself to other adults as OldManFan, not "Hi. I'm Dr. Fan."?   If you called me by my first name, I'd call you Old. If you referred to me as Mr, the only danger would be me forgetting that you've earned your doctoral degree and calling you Mr as well.  If I'm understanding you correctly, that would not bother you and you would likely not tell me that the appropriate designation is Dr. OMF?    

Can we at least agree that the Maestro episode on Seinfeld was among their finest work?