ROCKPILE REVIEW - Tough

Shaw66

20 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The Rockpile Review – by Shaw66

“Tough”

1...The win mathematically eliminated the New England Patriots from the AFC East race.  Two dogs with one stone!  

6.  ...the real point was that Edmunds was in position and made the tackle. 

I liked the bolded part (Steelers being the bulldog, while the Patriots are more akin to late-rabies afflicted Old Yeller who was put down so we could all get the mercy of not hearing about how they "aren't dead yet".)

I thought the same thing when they showed the Edmunds tackle on JuJu.

One: our 14 ran through two would-be tacklers at the same point from the endzone and scored.

Two: Juju was full on headed to score and our MLB made a one-on-one dead stop tackle.

Three: As JA17 said, let them (Juju specifically) dance all they want, whether on the Bills logo or a few yards from the endzone. We're here to work.

22 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

One of Allen’s best plays will be forgotten in all of the other highlights. The Steelers had managed a touchdown and two-point conversion to make it a one-score game early in the fourth quarter.   The Bills needed a drive and a score.  After one first down, Allen threw incomplete deep to Davis.  It was a low probability throw at a bad time.  On second and ten, under pressure Allen threw incomplete to Moss.  Now it was third and ten, and the Steelers were threatening to take the ball back and take charge.  Pressured once more, Allen hit McKenzie on the run over the middle, and McKenzie made the run after catch to get the first down.  Seven plays later, Bass’s field goal iced the game. 

Great read Shaw.  I love me some McKittrick.  All the kid does is make plays.  I jumped off the couch screaming when I saw this first down.  It was a huge play, but you're right, it might get lost in the wash.  I wish we could find a way to use him more.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, hemma said:

They did some closeups of Roberts.

The man always has 'wildeyes' and you know he is going 100% on every return.

Roberts intensity is contagious and helps set the tone for the rest of the players. 

Wild thing,

you make my heart sing...

...dragging the line...

Edited by Figster

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Great read Shaw.  I love me some McKittrick.  All the kid does is make plays.  I jumped off the couch screaming when I saw this first down.  It was a huge play, but you're right, it might get lost in the wash.  I wish we could find a way to use him more.

I love Special McK.  I wonder if they could use him on special teams being back there with Roberts.  Roberts catches the ball angling to one side of field and when he gets close to defenders he tossed it back to McKittrick who crosses field and runs down sideline with most of players on opposite side trying to get through blockers (watch out guys, no blocks in back).

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/14/2020 at 12:53 PM, Forward Progress said:

Great write-up @Shaw66!!

In addition to everything you said above, I also loved the last Bills' possession that consumed the final 7:11 with 14 plays and 4 gut-punching 1st downs to close out the game.  When Pittsburgh was desperate for another possession and a chance for a miracle, the Bills would not let that happen.  

Hell yeah. Thats why the real story is more about the Bills being good than Steelers being bad.  The Steelers are good, especially on D.   The Bills dominated that D when they finally settled into the game and took control.  The last drive was like a sleeper hold and they didn't hulk hogan out of it.  

The Bills showed how good they can be and as fans we all hope they've learned how to take control and keep it when given the opportunity.  Learning to win is what makes teams dangerous.  Having both sides making plays consecutively game after game is what we watched good teams do to the Bills for years.  Feels good to be on the other end of it as fans. 

13 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

Yeah I met him a year before he died. He went to the High School that I teach at. Mountain of a man. A real gentle giant. Just before my time as a Bills fan. Don’t remember him. Very well respected in town. A true legend in the community 

Thanks for keeping his name out there for people to see.  

Billy Shaw doesn't need my help, but that's why I'm Shaw66.   People should remember.   

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Ayjent said:

Hell yeah. Thats why the real story is more about the Bills being good than Steelers being bad.  The Steelers are good, especially on D.   The Bills dominated that D when they finally settled into the game and took control.  The last drive was like a sleeper hold and they didn't hulk hogan out of it.  

The Bills showed how good they can be and as fans we all hope they've learned how to take control and keep it when given the opportunity.  Learning to win is what makes teams dangerous.  Having both sides making plays consecutively game after game is what we watched good teams do to the Bills for years.  Feels good to be on the other end of it as fans. 

I remember how it used to feel back in the day with Jim Kelly at the helm and with a good D backing him up.. We can beat anyone. Any time, any place.  During the regular season I looked forward to the tougher matchups with great anticipation. We have Josh Allen now with lots of talent around him. We have McD's D.

I'm starting to feel that way again...  

5 hours ago, Figster said:

I'm starting to feel that way again...  

I've had that feeling almost from the day McDermott arrived.  

For about the first 15 years I lived in Connecticut, UConn men's basketball was more or less pathetic - rarely over .500, just a boring mid-major.  I'd go to games once in a while and think that I was just watching decent college athletes, working hard but going nowhere.  

Then I went to one of Jim Calhoun's first games in Hartford.   It was immediately clear that this was a completely different level of basketball.  Same players, but different team.  They fought on defense, they could break the press, they stayed in games until the end.  They still were only a .500 club, but everything was different.  Year after year they got better, and then they were on top. 

I had that feeling almost from McDermott's first press conference.  That first season, that playoff season, you could see.  Same players, but it was different.  It was all different.  And they've just kept getting better.   Solid foundation, solid foundation, solid character.   It's really impressive what McDermott has done.    

• Like (+1) 2