Cuomo Sex Harrassment Accusations

30 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Again, read what I originally posted.  I said that I didn't know the merits of the case but I know that the woman's claim that she somehow couldn't quit when she wanted to was untrue.   I'm not "tarnishing" her reputation because I didn't address her reputation.  I simply called out her lie. 

Ah, sorry.  I missed the part where you said you didn’t know the merits but that what she said was a lie.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Ah, sorry.  I missed the part where you said you didn’t know the merits but that what she said was a lie.  

No problem.   Sexual harassment is always complicated even when you are actually a witness to some/most of the interactions between the principals.   Sometimes it's a misunderstanding that deteriorates.  Sometimes it's retaliation.  Sometimes it's a genuine grievance.  Sometimes it's a something creepy like stalking.

7 minutes ago, SoTier said:

No problem.   Sexual harassment is always complicated even when you are actually a witness to some/most of the interactions between the principals.   Sometimes it's a misunderstanding that deteriorates.  Sometimes it's retaliation.  Sometimes it's a genuine grievance.  Sometimes it's a something creepy like stalking.

All true—but sometimes it’s just a person in a position of power victimizing another he has control over.  

In reading the text you referenced, you seem to see it as an indication she tried to quit and the powers that be refused to let her.  I think you’re blinded by your prior experience in the system, where you—a presumably non-victimized stakeholder correctly indicate you had the option to continue employment or not.  

I have no experience at the state, but I read her comments differently.  She mentions therapy as a critical part of her text.  She uses the expression “before it stuck”.  I’d think when you have a good job and are victimized, the question of terminating employment isn’t just a matter of the emotional trauma, there are hard and fast realities like mortgage payments, car payments, income and securing other employment that must be considered.  

In fact, one of the reasons predators get away from with this sort of thing is because the victim is locked in to the employment relationship for any number of reasons. That’s classic predatory behavior and the reason many victims continue to push forward in spite of the seemingly logical decision to “just leave”. 

In 2020, this woman should not be marginalized.  If there’s nothing to fear, Cuomo should answer questions and be thoroughly investigated and not hide behind his spokespeople.  The media should refrain from running stories painting her as a bad employee based on anonymous sources.  Neither will happen, because people like Cuomo are protected.  I understand your perspective but in some respects, you’re part of the problem. 

58 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

In 2020, this woman should not be marginalized.  If there’s nothing to fear, Cuomo should answer questions and be thoroughly investigated and not hide behind his spokespeople.  The media should refrain from running stories painting her as a bad employee based on anonymous sources.  Neither will happen, because people like Cuomo are protected.  I understand your perspective but in some respects, you’re part of the problem. 

Yup. If the standard is that every accuser gets their day, let's hear from her. 

To the poster who said, "if you're harassed, just quit" as if that's the only response there should be for sexual harassment, I hope the women you know are more empowered than that. 

22 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Yup. If the standard is that every accuser gets their day, let's hear from her. 

To the poster who said, "if you're harassed, just quit" as if that's the only response there should be for sexual harassment, I hope the women you know are more empowered than that. 

The standard shifts depending on who the alleged abuser is.  That’s the problem, or at least one of many problems with this issue.   
I just wanted to point out that “she’s a liar” may not tell the whole story.  She could be, of course, it could be 100% political.  

32 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The standard shifts depending on who the alleged abuser is.  That’s the problem, or at least one of many problems with this issue.   
I just wanted to point out that “she’s a liar” may not tell the whole story.  She could be, of course, it could be 100% political.  

Plenty of Democrats have been taken out by accusations of harassment. If there’s a story here, we will know about it. 

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Newsflash: There’s a story here. 

Is it a story like "the Steele Dossier is a fraud on which to overthrow a president" or a story like "the election was a fraud on which to overthrow a democratic election?" 

46 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Is it a story like "the Steele Dossier is a fraud on which to overthrow a president" or a story like "the election was a fraud on which to overthrow a democratic election?" 

Both stories received widespread and breathless coverage at times, and of course the msm seemed to miss most of the key elements of Steele for 4 years despite highly placed and anonymous sources.  

Today’s Albany Times Union covered the Govs denial of sexual harassment——said gov a potential candidate for Attorney General—on page 2, down near the bottom next to the ad for a 3/36 lease on a dodge caravan.  

I’d suggest it would be a vast improvement to even see a commitment of 5%of the coverage that Steele received.  

Or, they can continue to send the message to victims that it’s best to sit the &$@& down and shut the $&@& up. 

8 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Both stories received widespread and breathless coverage at times, and of course the msm seemed to miss most of the key elements of Steele for 4 years despite highly placed and anonymous sources.  

Today’s Albany Times Union covered the Govs denial of sexual harassment——said gov a potential candidate for Attorney General—on page 2, down near the bottom next to the ad for a 3/36 lease on a dodge caravan.  

I’d suggest it would be a vast improvement to even see a commitment of 5%of the coverage that Steele received.  

Or, they can continue to send the message to victims that it’s best to sit the &$@& down and shut the $&@& up. 

Don't you think that a reporter would love to break this story open if there's a good story to be had? If there's a story--a legitimate one--it will come out. 

Based on little other than what I've seen, Cuomo is not a guy without plenty of enemies who would love this story to take him down if it's got legs. 

12 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Don't you think that a reporter would love to break this story open if there's a good story to be had? If there's a story--a legitimate one--it will come out. 

Based on little other than what I've seen, Cuomo is not a guy without plenty of enemies who would love this story to take him down if it's got legs. 

No, I don’t think a reporter would necessarily want to break this story.  Timing is everything, and positioning important to people in that field. 

I mentioned a while back that I heard a local reporter (Times Union, again as I recall) talking on a local radio show.  It was after Scheidernan resigned in disgrace.  The reporter shared how it was common knowledge in circle that the former AG had serious cocaine problem.  To me, just an average citizen, that’s a huge story for a number of reasons.  

I think some reporters would love to break the story, others would use it for leverage, others still to pursue a political agenda one way or the other.  

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The AG story is the real story here.

The accuser may absolutely be telling the truth, but the timing of when the story came out seems like someone is using it to derail the AG appointment.

Edited by snafu

7 minutes ago, snafu said:

The AG story is the real story here.

The accuser may absolutely be telling the truth, but the timing of when the story came out sees like someone is using it to derail the AG appointment.

I see that potential, but burying the story based on anonymous sources and selective leaks doesn’t seem like a good resolution at all.  In fact, it’s exactly how the powerful would bury a story.    

4 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I see that potential, but burying the story based on anonymous sources and selective leaks doesn’t seem like a good resolution at all.  In fact, it’s exactly how the powerful would bury a story.    

I guess it is up to the accuser to do more than tweet about it.

That's not going to overcome the denial and story burial. The reaction of the Governor's office (including leaks) is probably textbook.

21 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The list of powerful men in NY politics abusing their power is quite lengthy.  

Spitzer

Schneidman

Bruno

Silver
Percoco 

Skelos

Your rush to tarnish the reputation of a person who may very well be a victim without giving this story time to develop is one of the reasons predators thrive and victims are reluctant to come forward. 

#sad

Also a reason why liberals are a pathetic hypocritical bunch as they do all the time bully and blame the victim.  

Edited by Big Gun

9 minutes ago, Big Gun said:

Also a reason why liberals are a pathetic hypocritical bunch as they do all the time bully and blame the victim.  

I think the point is that power corrupts, and powerful people crush the powerless.  That’s just people.  

In this case, it may well be that So decided to label the victim as a liar without thinking it all the way through.