Did D. Williams Make a LOT of $ Tonight?

57 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I think Williams is a guy that you could let go and then sign another player that needs to sign a 'prove it deal'

All assuming he prices himself out of what the bills cap will allow. You can sell a free agent that you come here for a little cheaper, make you look like an all pro and then you can make bank the following year

Its gonna be a weird off season where players are gonna want to play here

It's not even close to being that easy as to just say go out and sign another player.  Williams was 2nd team all-pro in 2017 as a RT and then got hurt and played every position but RT when he came back.  The Bills likely saw that and figured he could get back to his old form.

33 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He was on his way to 10 million plus before tonight.  Not sure the Bills will have the cashola to make it happen.

They will.

8 hours ago, TonyBeets said:

He's been earning more every game he plays.  He's a guy we need to lock up before the league gets wind of his ability and his price goes up!

You really can't hide someone like that. I'm sure the league is well aware. That's what scouts are for.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, klos63 said:

You really can't hide someone like that. I'm sure the league is well aware. That's what scouts are for.

As I typed it I began making that realization.  Last night pretty much let the world know what a good RT he is.  It's a shame we don't have him for a few years under contract.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I think Williams is a guy that you could let go and then sign another player that needs to sign a 'prove it deal'

All assuming he prices himself out of what the bills cap will allow. You can sell a free agent that you come here for a little cheaper, make you look like an all pro and then you can make bank the following year

Its gonna be a weird off season where players are gonna want to play here

Players may want to come here, but they will want to get paid too.  What makes you think there are enough quality players that would only require a 'prove it deal'?

7 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Didn't it seem he was going JUST a fraction before the ball 2as snapped nearly every play? He either has an AMAZING reaction time or is very lucky not to get flagged every play.

Watch tackles around the league. Most if not all leave slightly early with no flag

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

2 hours ago, TonyBeets said:

As I typed it I began making that realization.  Last night pretty much let the world know what a good RT he is.  It's a shame we don't have him for a few years under contract.

True. I wonder if either side wanted to sign a multiyear deal? I am wondering if Williams signed with the understanding he would get to play RT exclusively for a season to show how good he can be if left there? 
Either way, Williams is going to make $12-15 mil a season. Between him or Milano it isn’t close for me, sign Williams and you have your two tackles for the foreseeable future.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

True. I wonder if either side wanted to sign a multiyear deal? I am wondering if Williams signed with the understanding he would get to play RT exclusively for a season to show how good he can be if left there? 
Either way, Williams is going to make $12-15 mil a season I got to believe. Between him or Milano it isn’t close for me, sign Williams and you have your two tackles for the foreseeable future.

If given the choice between the 2 which is a good possibility, it is a no brainer.  Whatever it takes to help our QB continue to grow.

25 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Players may want to come here, but they will want to get paid too.  What makes you think there are enough quality players that would only require a 'prove it deal'?

The cap is going to be stagnant or even drop, guys will not be getting contracts they feel they should in a normal year. Many of them will take short term deals to get back into the free agent pool again quickly

For example take a look at the nhl and how their free agency went

The strange thing is Darryl williams may be that guy for us

He did well against Watt, but was also getting a lot of help and it also appeared Watt got injured, so while it was nice having him be limited in impact, I don’t think Williams gets all the credit here.  Good job scheming for Watt, making sure he got chipped extra, but he still got a lot of pressure on Allen, especially first half.

In order of priority re-signing in the offseason:

1) Williams

2) Feliciano

3) Milano

It may come down to re-signing the OL pieces and then making a decision on Milano or Brown.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Beane will put the best O-Line he can in front of his franchise QB.   He knows that as Allen goes, the Bills go.  The O-Line is not the place to start pinching pennies.  I'd rather they release John Brown (I'm sorry Smoke, I think you're great) and use that money to resign Williams. 

It was interesting to not that the Bills did hit on a single one of Allen’s deep balls last night. Allen is having to play at an elite level because teams don’t have to respect the Bills deep game right now. 

This offense badly misses Smoke, and with him the Bills probably put that game away in the first half.

This isn’t to say you keep him at the expense of a good looking RT, but rather just be careful, if you’re the bills, about cashing in on the cap savings from cutting Brown 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, appoo said:

It was interesting to not that the Bills did hit on a single one of Allen’s deep balls last night. Allen is having to play at an elite level because teams don’t have to respect the Bills deep game right now. 

This offense badly misses Smoke, and with him the Bills probably put that game away in the first half.

This isn’t to say you keep him at the expense of a good looking RT, but rather just be careful, if you’re the bills, about cashing in on the cap savings from cutting Brown 

Fair points all appoo.

I want both of them on the roster next year.  Let's hope we get more Magic Beane this offseason with his cap and roster moves.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I think you will see a lot of one year deals because of this.  Its not a Bills problem, it's a league wide problem.

1 year deals makes the problems worse because of higher cap hits. Personally, I think you see longer deals with high signing bonuses.

for example you can resign both Milano and Williams. 

say about 40M total for Milano, and another 40M for Williams.

For Milano, you give him a 6 year contract, and a $25M signing bonus, that’s. 4.16M cap hit for the bonus, and if you pay yearly salary evenly it’s 2.5M a year. If 50% of yearly salary is gtd money, then you start with a dead cap number of 32M, going down about 5M a year. That’s a decent amount of risk to the organization, but a $6M cap hit is a bit of a steal 

for Williams, he’s 28, so I imagine that’s closer to a 4 year contract and that’s going to be a lot more expensive in terms of cap hit, no matter how much you concert to a signing bonus. But possible I guess.

Teams are going to have to risk long term deals. Short term deals are just too cap heavy 

11 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Shut down Watt, mostly on his own. Showcase-type performance late in a contract year. 

That young man is going to get PAID, no?

It is games like that where players do make bank.

Watt had to resort to acting to draw a foul too...that is a dominating performance.

He earned a lot of respect last night.