2-pt defense is concerning me

The Red King

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, the two point conversions were the problem in that game. Good point. We played so well in the rest of the game.

Yes, we screwed up in other ways, but the fact remains had we stopped even one of the two conversions the last-second field goal would have been for the win, not the tie.

9 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Is this what your thoughts are immediately after beating a 11-1 team?!?

And by double digits no less...

Go Bills!!!

8 hours ago, The Red King said:

You don't care at all that Buffalo is only 1/5 defending against 2-pt conversions?  You don't see Buffalo potentially blowing an eight point lead in the playoffs because they can't defend it?

I don’t think you’ve worked yourself up enough over this, if you try a bit harder to express your personal level of disappointment on this topic you may more readily convey your underlying angst and inner turmoil so as to convince others that it is actually something.  We will all be waiting with anticipation for your next effort on this topic, 

Go Bills!!!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Of all thing to discuss after a huge win on a national stage again. Can’t we talk about the OP’s need for some medical intervention lol 😂 

6 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I don’t think you’ve worked yourself up enough over this, if you try a bit harder to express your personal level of disappointment on this topic you may more readily convey your underlying angst and inner turmoil so as to convince others that it is actually something.  We will all be waiting with anticipation for your next effort on this topic, 

Go Bills!!!

Concur- we played a great game last night- so this dude wants to split hairs over 2 point conversions? We have had multiple goal line stands this year. 

i am concerned Diggs didn’t do enough last night lol

• Like (+1) 2

I'm worried about the conversions.  You wanna watch Buffalo blow an eight point lead to KC in the Championship Game?  The Super Bowl?  It cost us last year, and it's not fixed.

Yes, Buffalo is a better team then last year.  This was a big win and I feel like the Bills are real contenders.  That doesn't mean I can't point out the one concern I have left with this team.

Hey OP,  I think you make a fair point.  Our two point defense is pretty bad.  Not sure it's my first take after this game, but it is a concern.  It's especially confusing because our defense has had so many solid goal line stands this season.  At the end of the day, I think it's just hard to stop an offense from gaining two yards on a set play that they have drawn up and practiced specifically for just that situation.  I have no idea where Buffalo's rate of surrendering 2 point conversions is compared to the rest of the League. Might be interesting to see where they stand in comparison to other defenses. 

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree, have we stopped any?

One, out of six attempts.

And I can't believe some of the other comments.  I need mental help?  Because we're still terrible at something that cost us a playoff game last year and could do so again?  I mean seriously, I loved the game, and I love how the Bills looked.  But dear lord, some of you seem to think the Bills played perfectly and anyone who points out what is now a multi-season problem area must be some kind of dysfunctional freak.  I mean, again, the inability to defend the two-point conversion quite literally cost us the playoff game against Houston.  Stop even one of the two and Buffalo's last second field goal wins the game rather then sending it to OT.  But yeah, keep telling yourself one thing that bounced us from the playoffs couldn't possibly do it a second season in a row. 🙄

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I honestly can’t recall them stopping one in a long time...

Do you recall  what game it was this year?

Also, do you know what the record was in 2019 on giving up 2 pt conversions?

You can’t remember it because it was a play in which the opposing team literally wasn’t trying to score: Kyler Murray’s kneel-down.

take that “attempt” out of the equation, and the Bills’ opponents are 11 for 12 on two-point conversions the last two years.

Not good.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

One, out of six attempts.

And I can't believe some of the other comments.  I need mental help?  Because we're still terrible at something that cost us a playoff game last year and could do so again?  I mean seriously, I loved the game, and I love how the Bills looked.  But dear lord, some of you seem to think the Bills played perfectly and anyone who points out what is now a multi-season problem area must be some kind of dysfunctional freak.  I mean, again, the inability to defend the two-point conversion quite literally cost us the playoff game against Houston.  Stop even one of the two and Buffalo's last second field goal wins the game rather then sending it to OT.  But yeah, keep telling yourself one thing that bounced us from the playoffs couldn't possibly do it a second season in a row. 🙄

It's hard to explain why they've been so bad at it other than maybe dumb luck.  I mean what's different about a 2 point conversion compared to a  regular play inside the 2?  Last week they stopped San Fran on 4 downs inside the 2, think I recall early in the season stopping someone when they had first and goal.  So why different on the 2 point try?  Seems like it's mostly pass plays they given up.

The league average is just a hair under 50% BTW

• Like (+1) 2

I think it’s more about attitude than anything else.  Good defenses get pissed when they give up a TD and man up for the 2 point try.  Bills defense has definitely stepped it up after the beginning of the season, but for some reason a 16 point lead is really a 14 point lead right now, and McDermott should consider going for 2 when a TD puts us up by 15.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CLTbills said:

If that's our biggest problem, I'm ok with it. 

99 % of the time, if a team is going for 2, it's because you're up by too many points. 

Except last season's wild card loss falls into your 1%.  While there were other things the Bills could have done better, failing to stop either of the Texans 2-point attempts quite literally lost them the game.

Being a lil under the average would be one thing, but as it stands right now opposing teams are finding 2-point conversions to be a near automatic against us.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/14/2020 at 4:38 AM, Niagara Bill said:

Good thing this debate is not taking place in the parking lot, post game, 14 beers later !

I tell ya, a couple shots of Jager and a few IPAs, and I think I can pretty much take over the world!  I’LL FIGHT ANYONE WHO DISAGREES!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I think the OP brings up a good point on the 2 point conversion and I bet that McD will be thinking about it too.  

I see a lack of QB pressure and passes to big receivers covered by smaller DBs.  

Agreed, it's worth mentioning and discussing.

Yes, yes, we're all happy that we're down to stuff like "defending the conversion" to be worried about, but that doesnt mean we cant talk about it.

I noticed it in previous games and said something as Pittsburgh lined up to the affect of "here is a guaranteed 2 points". Sure enough.

This will be an issue as we get into the playoffs and the games get tighter and tighter. I'm not saying anyone needs to be fired, but it definitely needs to be addressed.

• Like (+1) 1