Dawson Knox needs to go....now.

Kwai San

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

At least give him as long as Logan Thomas...

Thomas spent 4 years in college as a QB.  Knox in college was purportedly a TE.  He amassed only 37 more catches as a TE than Logan Thomas did as a QB.

Thomas has only 3 more starts in 5 years than Knox has in 2.    In his first 2 years, he had zero and 9 targets.  Knox has had 78 targets (13 drops at 17%).  

The more starts and targets a team gave Thomas the better he got.  Knox's curve, on the other hand, has a negative slope, despite plenty of opportunity on a pass happy Offense.

What was the point you thought you were making?

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Thomas spent 4 years in college as a QB.  Knox in college was purportedly a TE.  He amassed only 37 more catches as a TE than Logan Thomas did as a QB.

Thomas has only 3 more starts in 5 years than Knox has in 2.    In his first 2 years, he had zero and 9 targets.  Knox has had 78 targets (13 drops at 17%).  

The more starts and targets a team gave Thomas the better he got.  Knox's curve, on the other hand, has a negative slope, despite plenty of opportunity on a pass happy Offense.

What was the point you thought you were making?

It’s fairly obvious. I’ll harken you back to your laughable but entirely predictable “the Bills should have given Logan Thomas more time” a couple weeks ago, when you were trashing him for the 2 years when he was with the Bills. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

It’s fairly obvious. I’ll harken you back to your laughable but entirely predictable “the Bills should have given Logan Thomas more time” a couple weeks ago, when you were trashing him for the 2 years when he was with the Bills. 

They are giving Knox, a kid who had caught 39 passes since high school, a lot of time.  The first team to give Thomas that much work he produces.  Knox hasn't.

As for my comments on Thomas--they were in 2016 upon the advent of the Bills signing him off Detroit's PS (where he was a QB) and making him a TE.  My comment was that this was more evidence of the chronic abuse of the TE position on the Bills roster.  

"Sure--everyone is a TE!  It's not like good TEs haven't been available in the draft the past several years, yet the Bills have to overpay for free agents and look for gold on other teams' PS--for converted QBs, no less."

2018: "As for TE's, I don't think many D's would be worried about an Offense featuring  Clay/Croom/Lee/Thomas...."

Anyway, yeah, they signed him, made him a TE then gave him nothing to do for 2 years.  

On 12/14/2020 at 9:32 AM, Mr. WEO said:

When did this happen with Brown in the lineup?

You are probably right.  I think they need to make an improvement an get rid of Knox.  You can't beat a Travis Kelce with a Knox. Nobody is Kelce but the gap can't be that large.  Bills need a TE. With Allen as QB they should be able to get people interested in coming to Buffalo.

21 hours ago, babulator said:

Idk the status of Sweeney these days, but I think its clear we need to address this in the off season either way.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30374985/buffalo-bills-tommy-sweeney-diagnosed-heart-condition

Sweeney began the year on the PUP list with a foot injury, but coach Sean McDermott said the second-year tight end was nearing a return when a cardiologist discovered the condition during an NFL-mandated checkup

Sweeney is the first NFL player known to have been diagnosed with myocarditis this season.

Out for season.

18 hours ago, WideNine said:

This.

And having been "that guy" that dares to critique my team before the after glow of a win has died down, I understand the backlash to the "Now" language in the OP.

Knox is serviceable, but just because we won does not mean that Knox did not do what Knox has often done - that is, at least one or two key drops and/or a give away (usually the momentum swinging variety leading to opponent scores) while also handing in a few plays that showcase his potential and athleticism that has kept coaches and fans on the treadmill of thinking maybe he will break out and develop into that reliable threat.

The Knox giveth and the Knox taketh away :)

Either way, I think that having an elite pass-catching and blocking TE is still a need on this team - Knox has not solidified himself in that role. I do not question Knox's athleticism, his ceiling in that regard is really high, but rather his consistency at being inconsistent.

Thanks.....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

You are probably right.  I think they need to make an improvement an get rid of Knox.  You can't beat a Travis Kelce with a Knox. Nobody is Kelce but the gap can't be that large.  Bills need a TE. With Allen as QB they should be able to get people interested in coming to Buffalo.

Since when do Tight Ends cover each other.  This is such a ridiculous take.  

Looks to me like Sweeney is a better TE than Knox. He seems to have better hands. Unless you have good hands you simply can't play that position in the NFL. Unless you are just another down lineman that is. And Knox seems unable to do that. He's absolutely no match for defensive linemen. They just shunt him aside.

Im happy to see if he can improve and hope he can but I'm not sure that you can learn to catch a football at this level of play. 

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Since when do Tight Ends cover each other.  This is such a ridiculous take.  

Ridiculous comment.  If someone says you can't beat Mahomes with Tyrod Taylor that does not mean Tyrod is covering Mahomes.

You can't beat a team like the Chiefs if your offense is not getting productivity from the TE.  You have to have a complete offense that can put up points with the Chiefs.  We need 3 top receivers (we have them) and productivity from the TE.  We need a big target to throw to.  That was obvious in the first half of the Steelers game. You beat the Chiefs by scoring lots of points because they are going to score lots of points.

Edited by FUTURIST

35 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

Ridiculous comment.  If someone says you can't beat Mahomes with Tyrod Taylor that does not mean Tyrod is covering Mahomes.

You can't beat a team like the Chiefs if your offense is not getting productivity from the TE.  You have to have a complete offense that can put up points with the Chiefs.  We need 3 top receivers (we have them) and productivity from the TE.  We need a big target to throw to.  That was obvious in the first half of the Steelers game. You beat the Chiefs by scoring lots of points because they are going to score lots of points.

The chiefs lost 4 games last year

Daniel fells

jack Doyle, 

firkser and jonnu 

jimmy graham 

give it a rest.  You’re saying that we can’t beat the chiefs because we have Dawson Knox playing TE.  Listen to what you’re saying 

• Like (+1) 1

I am speculating that the only reason Kroft is not getting reps in these critical games is that they are not going to resign him.

That, and I think they want to take a long, hard look at Knox to evaluate his development and decide if they need to invest in more competition for the position next season.

I would have liked seeing more of Sweeney this year...that is still a big?, but I thought he was coming on.

Edited by WideNine

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

They are giving Knox, a kid who had caught 39 passes since high school, a lot of time.  The first team to give Thomas that much work he produces.  Knox hasn't.

As for my comments on Thomas--they were in 2016 upon the advent of the Bills signing him off Detroit's PS (where he was a QB) and making him a TE.  My comment was that this was more evidence of the chronic abuse of the TE position on the Bills roster.  

"Sure--everyone is a TE!  It's not like good TEs haven't been available in the draft the past several years, yet the Bills have to overpay for free agents and look for gold on other teams' PS--for converted QBs, no less."

2018: "As for TE's, I don't think many D's would be worried about an Offense featuring  Clay/Croom/Lee/Thomas...."

Anyway, yeah, they signed him, made him a TE then gave him nothing to do for 2 years.  

"Gave him nothing to do"?  Thomas played in 12 games each season, playing about a third of the snaps towards the mid-point of his first season with the Bills (and first season playing TE in the NFL) and about half the second season.  And despite that underwhelming group in 2018, he still did little to merit keeping him around.  

And looking at Thomas' season last year with the Lions, he had as many targets as Knox does so far this year and their stats are almost identical.  Might be worth waiting another year to see what he can do and then cutting bait if he shows nothing, eh?

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Depends. If they invest a somewhat high draft pick in a TE I could easily see Knox gone after this season. 

Not going to happen.  Kroft is gone.  Smith is just a blocker and who knows if Sweeney will ever be able to play again.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

"Gave him nothing to do"?  Thomas played in 12 games each season, playing about a third of the snaps towards the mid-point of his first season with the Bills (and first season playing TE in the NFL) and about half the second season.  And despite that underwhelming group in 2018, he still did little to merit keeping him around.  

And looking at Thomas' season last year with the Lions, he had as many targets as Knox does so far this year and their stats are almost identical.  Might be worth waiting another year to see what he can do and then cutting bait if he shows nothing, eh?

Not going to happen.  Kroft is gone.  Smith is just a blocker and who knows if Sweeney will ever be able to play again.

I missed the "trashing" part I guess....

Anyway.  Yeah, when your big idea is to turn a QB into a TE, you need to throw him the ball, you know---to see if he's good at being a receiver.    Lee Smith (1.0) was already on the roster as a "blocking TE".   In his 1st year, he had 9 targets and after the "midpoint of his first season the with the Bills", he had not "about a third the snaps" but instead he had 30, 28 19, 33, 4 and 5% of the snaps.  He was given nothing meaningful to do.  His second year he had more snaps but only 17 targets all year.  

Knox was drafted as a TE and put in right away as such.  His value as a blocking TE was summed up with Lee Evans 2.0.......

Knox definitely has the ability to become a very productive player in this league. Unfortunately, injuries have hit him hard this year, and the dropsies still seem to get to him at times. I still have confidence that the kid can get it right and become a real threat for this team. 

• Like (+1) 3

Knox is growing on me.  Sure the fumble was a bit of a fluke. That 3rd down catch was a great read on his part.  The deep pass over the middle was almost caught.  I think Allen is going to stick with him.  The team obviously favors him over other options.  I expect to see that route down the seam again.  Hopefully they can work on his blitz pickup and blocking a bit.  He’s going to start flashing.  Brown coming back is going to open up more stuff too.  

• Like (+1) 4

37 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I missed the "trashing" part I guess....

Anyway.  Yeah, when your big idea is to turn a QB into a TE, you need to throw him the ball, you know---to see if he's good at being a receiver.    Lee Smith (1.0) was already on the roster as a "blocking TE".   In his 1st year, he had 9 targets and after the "midpoint of his first season the with the Bills", he had not "about a third the snaps" but instead he had 30, 28 19, 33, 4 and 5% of the snaps.  He was given nothing meaningful to do.  His second year he had more snaps but only 17 targets all year.  

Knox was drafted as a TE and put in right away as such.  His value as a blocking TE was summed up with Lee Evans 2.0.......

Yes, because you never trash Bills players...

Look here.  in 2017 Thomas started playing in game 3 and from games 7-12 got about one third (call it 30% if you wish) of the snaps on offense, while in 2018 he got about 40% of the snaps.  That's hardly "nothing."  He didn't show much (his best season with them was 77 yards) and he was making a position switch from QB to TE, which rarely works, so they moved-on.  It was reasonable to do so and to say otherwise because he looks better now, 2 seasons later, is 20/20 hindsight, nothing more, nothing less.

And the reason he looks better now is because he's found a home with the Redskins, where he's 3rd on the team in targets because they have a dearth of talent.  With the Bills, Knox is 6th in targets because he's lower on the pecking order. 

But as I mentioned before, Thomas' and Knox's per target production is exactly the same.  And that holds not only for Thomas' season last year and Knox's season so far this year, but also if you compare their seasons this year, i.e., multiply Knox's receptions, yards and TDs by 2.7 (which is how many times more targets Thomas has) and you get...Thomas' production this year.  So if you like Thomas...

The Bills did what you wanted last year in the draft: they addressed the TE position.  The problem is that, outside of the TEs drafted in the 1st round, the rest have done little in the NFL to date.  But the Bills already spent the pick and he doesn't cost much so he's not going anywhere until at least the end of next pre-season.  Again that doesn't mean the Bills shouldn't look to upgrade, but they certainly haven't been hampered by Knox not being a top TE.

• Like (+1) 1