QB succession, how hard is it?

chris heff

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Before my time, did the Bills go from Kemp to Ferguson?  Or was there someone in between?  May have been they were sou lousy in between, don't recall anyone else??  LOL!

No, tried Tom Flores and the Dan Darragh and eventually Dennis Shaw. Shaw had one good year.

1 minute ago, JimBob2232 said:

I wouldnt count Brees to Rivers.  Brees was awful early in San Diego.  they drafted Rivers to replace him because Brees was not good.  Obviously his career turned around, but that wasnt the thinking at the time. 

I agree

11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You are setting the bar very high.  Pretty much going from HOF to HOF player.

If you lower expectations just a bit there have been teams that have transitioned from one capable QB to another...

Seattle - Hasselbeck to Wilson

Dallas- Meredith to Morton(took Dallas to a SB) to Staubach, Romo to Dak, Staubach to White

Cinci - Anderson to Esiason

Atlanta - Chandler to Vick to Ryan

Vikings - Tarkenton to Kramer

Chiefs - Smith to Mahomes, Montana to Bono to Grbac to Green that is 13 years of decent QB play with a lot of playoff runs

Great list -- thanks for digging through that history.

The odds of finding true great, true franchise QBs truly back-to-back (technically speaking, no cheating here by ignoring one year of Curtis Painter in between Manning and Luck) the are so slim that it doesn't really warrant planning for it. Basically that's the Niners with Montana and Young, the Packers with Favre and Rodgers.

I'd go further with the "very good transitioning to great" or vice versa, or maybe "very good to very good" at a minimum:

KC - Alex Smith (the late career version) to Mahomes

Washington - Jurgensen to Kilmer to Theismann

EDIT: here's one that's technically correct, but somehow so wrong:

Rams - Roman Gabriel to John Hadl

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Lets look at the HOFers in the (current) AFC East over the years.

Bills 1-Jim Kelly

Jets 1-Joe Namath

Miami 2-Bob Griese, Dan Marino

New England 1 (future) Tom Brady

It's tough to find a HOF QB & it can take many decades to find one.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Great list -- thanks for digging through that history.

The odds of finding true great, true franchise QBs truly back-to-back (technically speaking, no cheating here by ignoring one year of Curtis Painter in between Manning and Luck) the are so slim that it doesn't really warrant planning for it. Basically that's the Niners with Montana and Young, the Packers with Favre and Rodgers.

I'd go further with the "very good transitioning to great" or vice versa, or maybe "very good to very good" at a minimum:

KC - Alex Smith (the late career version) to Mahomes

Washington - Jurgensen to Kilmer to Theismann

EDIT: here's one that's technically correct, but somehow so wrong:

Rams - Roman Gabriel to John Hadl

Rams - Roman Gabriel to John Hadl is a stretch, I think James Harris came after Hadl.

Washington - Jurgensen to Kilmer was odd they kind of went back and forth for awhile. Most didn’t think Theismann could play in the NFL, didn’t he go to CFL first? But okay

KC - Smith to Mahomes is a maybe, KC traded up with you know who for Mahomes. They didn’t see a future worth Smith and that was pre-injury. So that’s a definite maybe.

8 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Lets look at the HOFers in the (current) AFC East over the years.

Bills 1-Jim Kelly

Jets 1-Joe Namath

Miami 2-Bob Griese, Dan Marino

New England 1 (future) Tom Brady

It's tough to find a HOF QB & it can take many decades to find one.  

My point exactly. To paraphrase, it’s hard to find a QB in the NFL.

6 hours ago, chris heff said:

Rams - Roman Gabriel to John Hadl is a stretch, I think James Harris came after Hadl.

Washington - Jurgensen to Kilmer was odd they kind of went back and forth for awhile. Most didn’t think Theismann could play in the NFL, didn’t he go to CFL first? But okay

KC - Smith to Mahomes is a maybe, KC traded up with you know who for Mahomes. They didn’t see a future worth Smith and that was pre-injury. 

Roman Gabriel (the first coming of Josh Allen?) was pretty damn good for a while there. And John Hadl was kind of that second tier almost HOF quality guy with the Chargers and then Rams. Think Philip Rivers.  The Rams picked up Hadl right after they let Gabriel go. So if the standard is one very good QB straight into another, it works. The problem is both were past their prime at the time. 

Alex Smith was also playing at a Pro Bowl level when he lost his job to Mahomes. 

And you’re right - Jurgensen-Kilmer-Theismann was a weird extended transition, but Joe was on the Redskins (even if it was returning punts) the las couple years before he took over. 

Rivers to Herbert promises  to be the next “seamless” transition from Hall of the Very Good to Hall of the Even Better. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1