Lovie Smith out at Illinois, Leipold mentioned as potential candidate

YoloinOhio

Why do they keep recycling coaches?

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Bielema is actually a great hire for them.

4 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I was wondering the same thing. I did not like many of his decisions. We should have won that game. 

His decision not to let Jaret Patterson break Barry Sanders record told me a lot

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Why do they keep recycling coaches?

His decision not to let Jaret Patterson break Barry Sanders record told me a lot

It wasn't guaranteed to break the record. He needed every yard on the drive. And you just can't give a running back 8th Straight carries, it's how they get hurt

On 12/14/2020 at 2:21 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Contrary to popular belief, recruiting isn't about getting the biggest HS names , maybe for Alabama or Ohio State

It's about developing your talents.

UB on paper, has had one of the worst recruiting classes in the country for the last 5 years. A good recruiting class is maybe 90th or 100th in the country for them

Their roster is loaded with two star players, no star players, and a few three star guys. Nobody wanted to come to UB either for the past 20 years

It's about finding diamonds in the rough and developing talent. Illinois isn't good at football because they're a basketball school for the most part. They just don't care enough about football

UB has been trying for football for 20 years, and it finally pays off. But they're still at the bottom of Mac recruiting usually(except this incoming class), they just developed talent better than any other Mac School

Illinois has to become better at developing their talent 

Sorry that’s a crock..the best players go to the best programs. There is a reason why the top 10 looks basically the same every year.  Development may help a team come out of nowhere in the generic conferences but when you are playing in the the SEC or Big Ten recruiting matters immensely. You aren’t about to see a MAC team ever in the top 16 so it’s not an apples to apples comparison. Illinois bet that having an Ex-NFL coach would get them better recruits. It appears it didn’t. 

56 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Sorry that’s a crock..the best players go to the best programs. There is a reason why the top 10 looks basically the same every year.  Development may help a team come out of nowhere in the generic conferences but when you are playing in the the SEC or Big Ten recruiting matters immensely. You aren’t about to see a MAC team ever in the top 16 so it’s not an apples to apples comparison. Illinois bet that having an Ex-NFL coach would get them better recruits. It appears it didn’t. 

I've seen a MAC team in the top 15 in the AP before. I've seen a season where 4 mac  teams were ranked. Yeah it's not the sec, but Mac football's great.  American FBS football is the top 1% across the board

The top 10 looks about the same for 5-7 year spans. 15 years ago Alabama and Clemson and were not powerhouses. Alabama struggled for years before saban. It comes in cycles

Building college football programs happen slowly over time. And a school like Illinois has to learn to recruit and develop talent, not just recruit five star talent like Ohio State. If you can't recruit the big dogs, you need to develop better

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/20/2020 at 8:18 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

Geez, I hope he didn't say that with a straight face

Patterson didn't even know. It's not uncommon for coaches or players to not know statlines during games

And you just can't force feed a player just too, that's how you get hurt . The whole team tried getting patterson every yard he earned the whole day

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.