New era in quarterbacking?

Utah John

When Tiger Woods appeared on the PGA scene, he instantly changed the game of golf.  He could drive farther than all the others except the muscle guys who had no other game.  And Woods had all the other game elements as well.

The other players looked at each other and realized they weren't in Kansas anymore,  and they all figured out how to up their own games, or they quit.

I'm seeing quarterback play in the NFL at a higher level than I can remember.  Where once only Rogers could make certain throws, now there's Mahomes and Allen. and sometimes Wilson.  Where once only Cam Newton could run well as a big man, now there's Allen.  And suddenly there are half a dozen smaller QBs who can run like only Vick used to be able to do. 

There were some other players with these talents here and there through the years as well, whom I haven't mentioned, but not the flood of talent that we're seeing now. 

Players like Brady and the Manning boys, who could work from the pocket and win, are going to have a tough time competing with multi-dimensional players. 

I wonder whether this is a change in the talent mix that's available, or maybe the OCs and the game itself are now figuring out they need to accommodate what these guys have to offer.  Greg Roman was a so-so OC in Buffalo.  He got to Baltimore and became a genius.  He also has Lamar Jackson, what a coincidence.  Roman's genius was to let Jackson be Jackson, and not try to limit him with what Flacco could do.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Utah John said:

When Tiger Woods appeared on the PGA scene, he instantly changed the game of golf.  He could drive farther than all the others except the muscle guys who had no other game.  And Woods had all the other game elements as well.

The other players looked at each other and realized they weren't in Kansas anymore,  and they all figured out how to up their own games, or they quit.

I'm seeing quarterback play in the NFL at a higher level than I can remember.  Where once only Rogers could make certain throws, now there's Mahomes and Allen. and sometimes Wilson.  Where once only Cam Newton could run well as a big man, now there's Allen.  And suddenly there are half a dozen smaller QBs who can run like only Vick used to be able to do. 

There were some other players with these talents here and there through the years as well, whom I haven't mentioned, but not the flood of talent that we're seeing now. 

Players like Brady and the Manning boys, who could work from the pocket and win, are going to have a tough time competing with multi-dimensional players. 

I wonder whether this is a change in the talent mix that's available, or maybe the OCs and the game itself are now figuring out they need to accommodate what these guys have to offer.  Greg Roman was a so-so OC in Buffalo.  He got to Baltimore and became a genius.  He also has Lamar Jackson, what a coincidence.  Roman's genius was to let Jackson be Jackson, and not try to limit him with what Flacco could do.

I think what we are seeing is the NFL building offenses that are a better fit for mobile QB's because the hit rate on traditional QB's is so low and the college game is producing a large % of pretty gifted mobile QB's. That said, no matter how much the NFL wants to adjust to the lack of true pocket passers in my opinion those players will always be the hardest to compete against.

While you could argue the running QB makes you defend more space that space tends to be lateral or closer to the line of scrimmage. With an elite pocket passer you need to defend that space 15+ yards downfield every play. Again, just more rare. Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, are a few of the names in your post of these type of QB's. As you said, Wilson, sort of, you could say Allen sort of. None of these guys are statues, they just can really threaten you downfield.  

• Like (+1) 1

Two things that happened:

1) Top QB's started getting paid better than any US athletes short of the very finest in the NBA.

2) The game got a lot less violent for QB's around 2010.

That made playing QB a lot more interesting to some really great young athletes(and their parents).

Football is still a game of attrition at most positions but QB's now can play longer and at a higher level than just about any position in sports. 

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Interesting POV.

I think it's a change in the talent mix available reflecting a change in the college football game and also a change in the NFL game to be less violent towards QBs.

Who are the "half a dozen smaller QBs who can run like only Vick used to be able to do"?  There's Lamar....There's Murray...I guess add Wilson...????

QB's are also protected now more than ever before. It used to be you couldn't really have a small fast guy at QB because they'd get killed. Plus, with how the college game has evolved, it has leaked slowly into the NFL over the years and those types of QB's have come with it.

BUT, I think defenses evolved too. Defenses are more complex and are so good at confusing guys and getting pressure. I think our days of one dimensional, pocket passers is behind us. QB's who don't have some mobility don't have what it takes to defeat these defenses anymore. All of the good young QB's in the NFL have the ability to hurt you with their legs too.

• Like (+1) 1

What has driven the NFL towards mobile quarterbacks is the advent of players like JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, the Bosa Boys, Khalil Mack, Myles Garrett and others who have made it very expensive for a franchise to put a statue behind their offensive line.

Just like in nature, the QB position has adapted to it's changing environment and those QBs who can roll out and escape the pocket and make a penetrating defense pay have found a niche and are exploiting it.  Twenty years ago defensive ends and tackles just weren't the athletes that they are today and that new level of athleticism has forced offenses to adapt.  To date the most effective adaptation has been the introduction of the mobile QB.  (The fact that the defense isn't allowed to decapitate QBs today also helps a little bit too...)

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 2

The game has changed in itself. Offenses are getting better. Passing for 300 yards and rushing for 50 i think his happening more then running for 200 and passing for 150.

Better then average RB's a dime a dozen.

Quality mobile QB not so much.

Top 5 Defenses are having way to many games where they get hammered.

Rule changes

Special Teams player to run down the field to hit players on kickoffs les needed.

the game is changed.

• Like (+1) 1

I have a son who played QB from middle school to the FCS level of college ball.  I've watched first-hand - and what I think the contributors to this thread are missing is - the change started 10+ years ago on the middle school level.  There used to be stigma about the best "athletes" playing QB so coaches took the biggest, fastest, strongest players and made them RBs, WRs, DEs, & LBs.

Not anymore.  I've watched it happen over and over again... some of the best athletes in Middle School are now the QBs. That has a trickle-UP effect.  Those big, fast, strong, athletic, QBs transition into High School, then into College and eventually we have Cam Newton, Ryan Tannehill, Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen defining a new era of QB play.  

• Like (+1) 4

12 hours ago, Utah John said:

I know this is not your point but there was only one Michael Vick.  No QB can do what he did with the moves he had.  He was Randall Cunningham on a higher level. 

13 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

Well, I hope the new wave proves permanent, because apparently we have no chance at Brady!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tom-brady-hints-hes-open-to-returning-to-buccaneers-next-year-for-one-very-obvious-reason/

Tampa does get to play against the AFC East next year

1 hour ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I know this is not your point but there was only one Michael Vick.  No QB can do what he did with the moves he had.  He was Randall Cunningham on a higher level. 

Lamar Jackson??? 

We will see if the pocket QB is a thing of the past or not. Mahomes mostly works out of the pocket. He runs not that often (has never had more than 300 rush yards in a season) and mostly uses his mobility to throw.

The last few Super Bowl's before last year were mostly  match ups featuring pocket passers. 

Brady vs Geoff

Brady vs Foles

Brady vs Matt Ryan

Manning vs Cam 

Brady vs Wilson

Manning vs Wilson

Flacco vs Kap

Eli Manning vs Brady

That's 12 QB's not known for their mobility vs 4 that are. Even the 49ers last year made it to the Big Game with Jimmy G not exactly a mobile QB. So we will wait and see if the pocket passer is dead.

16 hours ago, Utah John said:

There are a lot of things at play here:

1) Rules drastically favoring the offense.

2) QBs that have coordinators building offenses around their strengths instead of trying to force them into their systems which are allowing college kids in spread offenses to step in and be successful much faster than ever before.

3) College concepts that have really allowed offenses to run multiple concepts/plays and let the QB read whether to run or pass based on a key defender on each play.

4) Holding penalties down tremendously this year allowing offenses to stay ahead of the sticks. They have been getting called a little more frequently lately than in the beginning of the year but on balance there are still far fewer.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

There are a lot of things at play here:

1) Rules drastically favoring the offense.

2) QBs that have coordinators building offenses around their strengths instead of trying to force them into their systems which are allowing college kids in spread offenses to step in and be successful much faster than ever before.

3) College concepts that have really allowed offenses to run multiple concepts/plays and let the QB read whether to run or pass based on a key defender on each play.

4) Holding penalties down tremendously this year allowing offenses to stay ahead of the sticks. They have been getting called a little more frequently lately than in the beginning of the year but on balance there are still far fewer.

I would add defensive pass interference is way up this year.

It’s just easier to play qb. If you get touched in the pocket, it’s a penalty. If a dback touches a receiver, it’s a penalty. There is no fear of getting hit. NFL teams are using college offenses which makes the transition easier than ever. And they are giving mobile guys a chance to play the position which is extremely hard to defend. 

Guys like Steve Young, Randall Cunningham would have been monsters today. 

17 hours ago, Utah John said:

Rodgers has been doing this for years, so has Russ Wilson.

Rodgers, Brees, both Mannings, Big Ben and Brady have been played for 107 seasons.  Lets see how the new Vicks/Newtons hold up before we bury the "pocket QB".

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Two things that happened:

1) Top QB's started getting paid better than any US athletes short of the very finest in the NBA.

2) The game got a lot less violent for QB's around 2010.

That made playing QB a lot more interesting to some really great young athletes(and their parents).

Football is still a game of attrition at most positions but QB's now can play longer and at a higher level than just about any position in sports. 

Every year QBs miss games or gone for the season.  Look at the mess in Dallas this year, and Steelers last year.  In 2018, Washington lost Smith and McCoy 2 weeks apart--both with broken legs.

Kelly, Marino and Elway missed 52 games out of 684 games. Unless you believe that those guys were somehow more immune to injury than todays QB athletes, then not much has changed for QBs.

Also:

10 NFL QBs have an average annual salary of $30 million or more, compared to 23 NBA players and 14 MLB.  Of the largest sport contracts signed for the 3 leagues, Mahomes is #1, but the only other QB in the top 50 is Watson (35).  The rest are all MLB and NBA.  And those are guaranteed contracts.

17 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

Well, I hope the new wave proves permanent, because apparently we have no chance at Brady!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tom-brady-hints-hes-open-to-returning-to-buccaneers-next-year-for-one-very-obvious-reason/

Two things I picked up from that:

1. Tom Brady is no longer native to California.  I wonder where he's newly been born?  

2. He wants you to know that if he's living, he won't be dead.