Closing politics boards elsewhere

shoshin

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

People didn't leave this sub because of a need to retreat with like minded people only.  

They left bc there are far too many people here that don't understand how to separate attacking the individual poster vs attacking the idea without attacking the individual poster.  

In my 1000s of posts I maybe insulted a poster I won't name maybe 2 or 3x because that poster spends his days looking for individuals to attack which included me.  Don't get me wrong.  I was born before 1990 so literally nothing offends me and my skin is quite thick. 

But that to me is what should be banned.  It's simple to police.  This nonsense about what topics should or shouldn't be brought up in the TSW (covid) is really quite nauseating.  And it's because when someone says we should be at games, all hell breaks loose when it absolutely shouldn't.  

People need lessons in civility but they also need to get some thick f..ing skin and sack up and understand its OK people think the opposite you do and don't be surprised when you find those people.

This is absolutely, 100% false.  And it's what irritates the hell out of me about all these political forums.  Several of the posters that left, including the martyr who was initially kicked off, were absolute buttholes to people of political viewpoints here in PPP.  And those posters CONSTANTLY attacked posters rather than ideas.

And I'm certainly not innocent.  I would respond to these posters... often stooping to their level, though not usually as childishly as them with direct name calling with 4 letter words.

And I'm still interacting with these people now--including the aformentioned martyr--and they're really no better even in their own echo chamber.

Stop pretending that the reason they left this board is because the "liberal" or "Democrat" or "non-Trump voters" over here were the ones viciously attacking them personally as they innocently sat by.  There were just more people who came onto the board of an opposing political opinion over the last 7 or 8 months, probably not coincidentally based off everything that's happened in that time.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, shoshin said:

I mentioned this deep in some thread but FinHaven closed their politics board recently. With The Departure, things have gotten more civil here but another unhealthy echo chamber of intolerance could easily form if we let it. Or PPP could just be shut down without much change in TBD. 

Here’s the FinHaven message. 

Dear members,

We would like to address the recent change to the terms of service in regards to politics on Finheaven.

Due to the Political and War Forum causing rifts among our membership we have decided shut down the PoFo and we are no longer allowing political content on the site. This is now included in the Terms of Service.

This means you are not allowed to post politcal comments, opinions or pictures on the site at all. If you do post any politcal content on the site you will receive a PM reminding you that this type of content is not allowed and your content will be deleted. If you continue to post politcal content after the initial warning it will result in receiving infraction points that could lead to being banned from the site.

So let's keep the site focused on Dolphins football and the other forums focused on their topics. We have forums for college sports, other sports and the off topic stuff in the Lounge if you feel like you need a break from talking about the Dolphins.

Thank you,
-Finheaven staff-

It is me or has your participation in the political forum increased two fold in the past 60 days?

If you don't want this to forum to exist why do you keep participating?

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The bigger issue is somebody that's fairly sane will encounter a conspiracy nut and then follow them down that rabbit hole to the point they become radicalized. 

I actually think this is what's happened with a lot of the ones who left.  The thing about conspiracy theories is that they're often so elaborately conceived that they just have to be right.

There are some seriously fascinating conspiracy theories out there about how we never landed on the moon.  I'm sure there are some crazy people out there who believe the world is flat.

I like conversing with some of the posters over there, including @Buffalo_Gal and @leh-nerd skin-erd, but their beliefs (not necessarily these 2 posters, just broadly speaking) are that when it comes to something like election fraud, you have to look at the totality of all the "evidence" they've posted in their 187 page thread in order to even talk about it.

When I spend time looking at some of it, it just confirms they're off their rockers.

The big problem people have--and this spans more than just politics--is that we tend to take the isolated things we witness or experience personally as guiding truths to our central beliefs, and the most ignorant among us use those ultimately cherry-picked experiences as foundational to certain beliefs.

It's frustrating because I have people in my wife's family who I love and enjoy talking to who are guided by this exact mentality and you can't convince them otherwise.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

9 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Unfortunately folks will drift to their own echo chambers with like minded individuals, which will just inflate division and ignorance. We are at a time when problem solving for all the issues facing the country is needed, but no one understands the value of discussion and compromise

Joe Biden will fix it. He said so.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Joe Biden will fix it. He said so.

The fact that Biden was able to even run as a unity candidate and won just shows just how divisive Trump was.  I don't see Biden calling Republicans enemies of the people any time soon.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I actually think this is what's happened with a lot of the ones who left.  The thing about conspiracy theories is that they're often so elaborately conceived that they just have to be right.

There are some seriously fascinating conspiracy theories out there about how we never landed on the moon.  I'm sure there are some crazy people out there who believe the world is flat.

I like conversing with some of the posters over there, including @Buffalo_Gal and @leh-nerd skin-erd, but their beliefs (not necessarily these 2 posters, just broadly speaking) are that when it comes to something like election fraud, you have to look at the totality of all the "evidence" they've posted in their 187 page thread in order to even talk about it.

When I spend time looking at some of it, it just confirms they're off their rockers.

The big problem people have--and this spans more than just politics--is that we tend to take the isolated things we witness or experience personally as guiding truths to our central beliefs, and the most ignorant among us, use those ultimately cherry-picked experiences as foundational to certain beliefs.

It's frustrating because I have people in my wife's family who I love and enjoy talking to who are guided by this exact mentality and you can't convince them otherwise.

I've stayed off that board for the most part as they're just basically venting.  I'll engage more with them in a few months.

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The fact that Biden was able to even run as a unity candidate and won just shows just how divisive Trump was.  I don't see Biden calling Republicans enemies of the people any time soon.

Well hopefully he can bring peace. Regardless of what he says, people are set in their ways. Whatever Trump said or did to divide the country was equally reciprocated by those on the other side.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I've stayed off that board for the most part as they're just basically venting.  I'll engage more with them in a few months.

Can't wait for you to grace us with your presence once again.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The big problem people have--and this spans more than just politics--is that we tend to take the isolated things we witness or experience personally as guiding truths to our central beliefs, and the most ignorant among us use those ultimately cherry-picked experiences as foundational to certain beliefs.

A story is much easier to believe. There's intrigue. It makes narrative sense. The Hollywood-ing of the Q-Anon Deep State narrative is syrupy sweet momma's milk for its audience. 

The possibility that people try their best, sometimes fail, sometimes succeed, chaotic events intervene, alliances work, then don't, and that our time is like a million other times before (except we have more wealth, peace, food etc)...is a crappy narrative.

Much easier and so much more exciting to our egos to believe that the forces of good and evil are facing off RIGHT NOW and WE LIVE IN THE MOST CRITICAL MOMENT EVER.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

A story is much easier to believe. There's intrigue. It makes narrative sense. The Hollywood-ing of the Q-Anon Deep State narrative is syrupy sweet momma's milk for its audience. 

The possibility that people try their best, sometimes fail, sometimes succeed, chaotic events intervene, alliances work, then don't, and that our time is like a million other times before (except we have more wealth, peace, food etc)...is a crappy narrative.

Much easier and so much more exciting to our egos to believe that the forces of good and evil are facing off RIGHT NOW and WE LIVE IN THE MOST CRITICAL MOMENT EVER.  

And it's just sad and frightening that people succumb to what's exciting as a story rather than what's probable or factual.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is absolutely, 100% false.  And it's what irritates the hell out of me about all these political forums.  Several of the posters that left, including the martyr who was initially kicked off, were absolute buttholes to people of political viewpoints here in PPP.  And those posters CONSTANTLY attacked posters rather than ideas.

And I'm certainly not innocent.  I would respond to these posters... often stooping to their level, though not usually as childishly as them with direct name calling with 4 letter words.

And I'm still interacting with these people now--including the aformentioned martyr--and they're really no better even in their own echo chamber.

Stop pretending that the reason they left this board is because the "liberal" or "Democrat" or "non-Trump voters" over here were the ones viciously attacking them personally as they innocently sat by.  There were just more people who came onto the board of an opposing political opinion over the last 7 or 8 months, probably not coincidentally based off everything that's happened in that time.

Yea I'm over there to.  Doesn't mean I'll stop posting here.  

But it does split my time.

I personally would rather be in a room with a 100 illeberals and I'm the only conservative.    

But I'll leave that room as soon as I find my IQ drops every time I get a response.

And if I find myself guilty of breaking one of my main rules.....when you get into an argument with an idiot, it's hard to tell who the idiot is.  

And I've found myself in that situation here more in the last month then in the last 1 year combined.  Which says something about the nastiness and vitriol spewed by just enough here that led to 119 posters deciding to peace out of here.   

4 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

If they just cut tbbills and Tibs it might be a little better in PPP 

I’ve had many great debates with Tibs even he does lose it now and then. But I’m quick to tell him so when he does. 😉

On the other hand, tbbills offers nothing more than junior high level name calling to this board. If you only want to talk to people who agree with you, why not stay inside and line your house with mirrors?

5 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

If they just cut tbbills and Tibs it might be a little better in PPP 

Funny was thinking the same ***** with you idiots. You cannot handle it here go talk to people who will lick your boots and pretend like you are right. Not gonna find that ***** here especially when you don't add anything truthful here just lies and bull####.

I didn't always treat people like ***** but you could not even have a discussion here with out the right extremists spitting off attacks like the brainwashed crazies they are. So I just want to see how your crowd like it and since I get all these mention I am doing a great job pissing you off.

Edited by TBBills

14 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Funny was thinking the same ***** with you idiots. You cannot handle it here go talk to people who will lick your boots and pretend like you are right. Not gonna find that ***** here especially when you don't add anything truthful here just lies and bull####.

I didn't always treat people like ***** but you could not even have a discussion here with out the right extremists spitting off attacks like the brainwashed crazies they are. So I just want to see how your crowd like it and since I get all these mention I am doing a great job pissing you off.

You should have finished high school, we all have to pay the price now.  

Lmao @ the boogeymen in your head.   

Get some help.    

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

You should have finished high school, we all have to pay the price now.  

Lmao @ the boogeymen in your head.   

Get some help.    

I am definitely in your head since you cannot stop thinking about me. I had more education than you and any other Trumpie put together. 

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

No greater truth has ever been spoken...

That is the republican way 100%. That is funny.

Almost as if he is describing DR and the cult.

Edited by TBBills