Are the Patriots now the drought-era Bills?

Success

4 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Why would the vets and opt outs come.back?  There's no reason to take BB's ass chewing film sessions and Patriot Way BS if they aren't a contender.  And they are not a contender let alone a dynasty anymore.  Retire, or go somewhere else and get paid what the market will bear.

They opted out because they had newborns and young children they didnt wanna to take the risk and all have said to be returning. Chung on twitter laughed at fans who thought he wasn't going to come back. Hightower their best linebacker and their mic just had his kid and  he is returning. 

Edited by Ghost_002!

24 minutes ago, KCNC said:

Not as long as they have BB.

And there in lies the problem. The Patriots organization is Bill Belichick and he is a micromanager. He is the General Manager, head coach, defensive coordinator and offensive coordinator. The moment he retires the franchise is gutted. Is Josh McDaniels the heir apparent? What has he ever done? The Belichick coaching tree is artificial. Has anyone from that tree had success as a head coach? And don’t mistake Kraft for any of the Rooneys. Belichick will go sooner rather than later, and when he does the rebuilding will be long and arduous.

• Like (+1) 2

We will see, this team will win about 7 games with a depleted roster due to covid opt outs and their cap crunch. With everything going against them they still are a 7ish win team. Let's see how they do when they get their players back and they have the cap space to add to their rosters holes.

The biggest concern for them is QB. If they can't find a better solution at QB then they are unlikely to do much in the playoffs even if their defense can carry them to a good record.

14 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

They opted out because they had newborns and young children they didnt wanna to take the risk and all have said to be returning. Chung on twitter laughed at fans who thought he wasn't going to come back. Hightower their best linebacker and their mic just had his kid and  he is returning. 

Dammit.

16 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

Can either of those guys play QB or WR? Patriots scored three points last night.

If they perform like they have this year for another 15-16 consecutive seasons then we can say the Pats have gone through a stretch like the Bils did from 2000-2017.  

If Bill B gets competent QB next yr., they'll be right back in the mix IMO.  The fact they've hovered around .500 all year with a QB who really can barely throw the football is pretty impressive.

11 hours ago, Success said:

It really struck me watching them play tonight:

- Huge uncertainty at QB

- Good defense & special teams, good RB

- All-pro punter

- Can't consistently score points

- JAG WR corps

- Occasional amazing game to give fans hope, but in general maintaining a near-.500 record 

- Being just good enough to not make the playoffs & avoid the top 10 in the draft

It's been weird reading their boards, too - the same playoff possibility conversations we used to have at this point:  if x team loses twice, and beats y team, but if y team beats z team, etc.  

I must say - I'm liking the role reversal.

Plus they changed a classic winning uniform for those god awful ones..just like we did

33 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

Also why not opt out if you are a veteran player? Why put your body through the grind and expose yourself to Covid an illness that could infect a loved one and put your long term health at risk (as we don't know the long term complications for those who live.)

You can literally roll over your contract for another season and rest your body. For a lot of these veteran players an opt out of this crazy season makes sense especially if you are on a team that isn't likely to go anywhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills drought was historically bad.  A large part of the Pats future depends on two things:

1 - How good will the Dolphins and Bills be over the next decade?  The Pats benefited from beating up on a weak AFC East.  If the Bills and Dolphins keep them down, that's a big difference.  Even in our drought, we had many good years against everyone else in the East

2 - How will the Patriots draft picks pan out?  The Pats are not attracting FA's like they used to because they can't promise Super Bowl contention anymore.  The hoodie's draft results have been less than stellar.  They need a new QB and offensive weapons.  As we Bills fans know, that's not an easy thing to find.  If Billy can't get the right guy, they will be in trouble for a while.

If they strike gold on a QB soon and the Dolphins are a fluke, then the drought won't be that bad

My wish?  The Hoodie gets "retired" because he won't retire on his own and the culture/losing becomes too much

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Can either of those guys play QB or WR? Patriots scored three points last night.

You say this...like the draft is not coming up, free agency is not coming up? (in their cap situation is very good next season) Their Wide Outs are ok...after numerous break downs on film. They actually do get open. Newton is just god awful at reading defensives now and misses throws badly...aka. their short comings this year is more on the QB than their wide outs....even though they still need help at that position. 

and unrelated to this post. Someone mentioned his coaching tree. You forget Flores is part of that tree. THe coach whose dolphins team is only one game back from you guys in the division. Bill O'Brien as well..although he completely missed up that Hopkins situations. Bill O'Brien had a good winning career with the texans and has won a few playoff games.

and then there's Nick Saban

Edited by Ghost_002!

1 hour ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Why would the vets and opt outs come.back?  There's no reason to take BB's ass chewing film sessions and Patriot Way BS if they aren't a contender.  And they are not a contender let alone a dynasty anymore.  Retire, or go somewhere else and get paid what the market will bear.

And with the Cap at least staying the same if not possibly going down NE is an even harder option because you probably are taking a paycut if you come back.

4 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Watch it come full circle and BB leaves to take the Jets job.  🤣

I overheard some students say something I have literally never heard them say in my entire professional career. "The Bills are good"

Actually my scenario is both Billy Boy and Tommy Boy miss the playoffs.  Arians gets fired, Billy Boy is hired and the Gronk, Tommy and Billy are reunited.  Chance of this happening.  0 percent.  But it would create a buzz...

19 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The Bills drought was historically bad.  A large part of the Pats future depends on two things:

1 - How good will the Dolphins and Bills be over the next decade?  The Pats benefited from beating up on a weak AFC East.  If the Bills and Dolphins keep them down, that's a big difference.  Even in our drought, we had many good years against everyone else in the East

2 - How will the Patriots draft picks pan out?  The Pats are not attracting FA's like they used to because they can't promise Super Bowl contention anymore.  The hoodie's draft results have been less than stellar.  They need a new QB and offensive weapons.  As we Bills fans know, that's not an easy thing to find.  If Billy can't get the right guy, they will be in trouble for a while.

If they strike gold on a QB soon and the Dolphins are a fluke, then the drought won't be that bad

My wish?  The Hoodie gets "retired" because he won't retire on his own and the culture/losing becomes too much

The Bills and Browns droughts are really incredible because the NFL is designed for teams to rise and fall relatively quickly and make the playoffs by backing in at points. With the playoffs expanded to 7 teams aside I really doubt you will see a team hit a decade long drought any more let alone almost two decade again. Additionally the growth of young QBs being more and more pro ready and coaches willing to build their teams to those QBs strengths also narrows the gap that good teams use to have. I think most people would say the Bills are a better overall team then Arizona, but Murray gives them the ability to be competitive. The 49eres this decade went from competitive, to tire fire, back to competitive all over.

I could really see BB retire after this year. Developing a QB is difficult even with the right tools to help them, they lack talent across the board, and they have two big teams in front of them with talent (BUF/MIA) plus the Jets probably getting T-Law. The smart thing for NE to do would truthfully be tear down for real for a year or two, clean cap, and build on picks so when they do take on the rest of the division they have a strong foundation.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

You say this...like the draft is not coming up, free agency is not coming up? (in their cap situation is very good next season) Their Wide Outs are ok...after numerous break downs on film. They actually do get open. Newton is just god awful at reading defensives now and misses throws badly...aka. their short comings this year is more on the QB than their wide outs....even though they still need help at that position.

I thought the comment on TV last night about how horrid the Pats WR drafts had been was a bit strange.  N'Keal Harry made a couple clutch receptions, including one where he went up and got hammered.  Made me wonder how much is him, how much has been the guys throwing to him. 

Before that, you had what? a 4th rounder on Barrios and a 6th on Malcolm Mitchell?  The more cogent point might be under- investing in the WR and TE position given Edelman's age and Gronk's injury history.  When they were cranking a system that had been in place for years, they could manage to just fit guys into it more easily than when adjusting.

I think the Achilles heel for all these Belicheck tree guys has been the tendency to want to replicate the Belicheck model of controlling player personnel as well and perhaps micro-managing their assistants.   Flores seems to be "playing well" with his GM so far and delegating his offense to Chan and that's working OK.  McDaniels flamed out hard in Denver by trying to play GM, and that's what hosed O'Brien as well.

3 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

That game last night reminded me of the drought era Bills.  Stay in the hunt until around late November/December, have a nice win where you start to billeave the drought may finally come to an end only to put up a stinker game and crush your playoff hopes. Lol 

WTF did those Pats do to the Chargers?  My lordy.

1 minute ago, streetkings01 said:

That game last night reminded me of the drought era Bills.  Stay in the hunt until around late November/December, have a nice win where you start to billeave the drought may finally come to an end only to put up a stinker game and crush your playoff hopes. Lol 

I mean, that was deja vu, over & over & over again.  The Bills would seem to do just enough to keep us interesting & hoping up until late November or even December - before lowering the inevitable boom.

I think the punter is really what got me thinking. He was the best player on the field last night, just like Moorman was for us for years.  All I need now is for BB to say "I thought we punted well...."

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Success said:

I mean, that was deja vu, over & over & over again.  The Bills would seem to do just enough to keep us interesting & hoping up until late November or even December - before lowering the inevitable boom.

I think the punter is really what got me thinking. He was the best player on the field last night, just like Moorman was for us for years.  All I need now is for BB to say "I thought we punted well...."

Don’t forget: sticking with a bad QB due to no other options on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1