Are the Patriots now the drought-era Bills?

Success

Get back to me in 10 years if every season is like this. An old aging Patriots team also lost some good defensive players and the lack of bluechip talent caught them. Plus without Brady even if he is at 75% they finally are not what they were. It shouldn't be a surprise it happens, but drought Bills you need to go like a decade of ineptitude, this wasn't ineptitude time just finally caught them thank god.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

We still have to play them, on the road at night.

Let's save the *Pats bleep-talking until a potential victory over them.

Good news, we already beat them once this year. And from the looks of how each team is playing currently, should be ready to beat them again.

***** the Pats

Edited by DrDawkinstein

9 hours ago, Success said:

It really struck me watching them play tonight:

- Huge uncertainty at QB

- Good defense & special teams, good RB

- All-pro punter

- Can't consistently score points

- JAG WR corps

- Occasional amazing game to give fans hope, but in general maintaining a near-.500 record 

- Being just good enough to not make the playoffs & avoid the top 10 in the draft

It's been weird reading their boards, too - the same playoff possibility conversations we used to have at this point:  if x team loses twice, and beats y team, but if y team beats z team, etc.  

I must say - I'm liking the role reversal.

If they are, they're in Year 1 and it remains to be seen if their drought will persist or rebound.

They did have a huge number of Covid opt-outs.

No QB = no long-term winning.
Now, if they manage to keep Belechik, they will win some wildcards, and are very unlikely to suffer through an historically inept drought as we did, but you ain't doin' shite without a quality signal caller. Cam seems to be a rudimentary backup QB at this point. I just hope Fitz doesn't end up there next year...or maybe I do.

An 8-win Pats team is never going to get much better. The other good thing, is they seem to be piss-poor at finding quality offensive skill players in the draft. Look at their last several years at drafting WR for example.

We, on the other hand Brandon f@cking Beane for the next six years and that mo-fo can find players anywhere!

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

As much as I can’t stand them and think they’re a bunch of cheaters, they’re too well run and will do whatever it takes including cheating to find a way to win.  
this year is most likely a blip for them.  

That's conventional wisdom, and I don't necessarily disagree.

But I've always thought it was BB that makes them well run - not so much the Krafts, who got a bit lucky w/ him and Brady (yes, they made the moves to get them - but they had no idea they were getting the GOAT's.)

BB will be 70 next year.  I also don't think he's all that as a GM - he benefitted for many years from Brady taking pay cuts, and also making average players look great.  Can he do a rebuild in time to still be coaching when it comes to fruition?

And so much comes down to QB.  They might get lucky there, or not. They won't have a high draft pick to get one. They might be able to turn a QB like Darnold around, but who knows.  I have found it kind of funny on the Pats boards - some of the younger fans say things like, "We have a good young core - all we need to do is add a franchise QB and we're right back on top!", like it's a "just add water" thing.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If they are, they're in Year 1 and it remains to be seen if their drought will persist or rebound.

They did have a huge number of Covid opt-outs.

In a way I've appreciated BB's ability to get what he can out of a crappy roster. I also see him as a crappy GM lately so he also created that side of things haha

1 hour ago, Success said:

The D is getting old, though. I heard Hightower may retire; Chung & the McCourteys are getting up there.  There is some question about whether they'll re-sign Gilmore (not their style to overpay for an aging CB).

BB is the equalizer, of course.  I'm convinced he could take any roster in the league and get to a .500 record at least.  

He did say at one time that he didn't want to be coaching in this 70's like Levy (or something like that).  That's the hope; that he has another season or 2 like this, gets tired of it and heads off to do some fishing.  

Defense is not getting old. Their oldest player besides McCourty is Chung who opted out 

They drafted a bunch of younger players on defense..

For all the GM talk. Its fair to point out his drafting offensive players. But on the defensive side he drafts pretty decent there.

chase winovich

Kyle Dugger

Josh uche

Michael Onwenu 

All look promising and have contributed 

oh and Damien Harris at RB is actually good in his first full season

Edited by Ghost_002!

They will get their opt out guys back.  

And I'm sure they are going to move heaven and earth to get a QB and not let this offense be this bad again.  

And if that happens they are a playoff team bc the defense is good now.  

That being said it will be 2 years since the opt out guys will have played in a game.  And QBs don't grow on trees.  

Also to point out how this is a prisoners of the moment from both fans and media.

Bills struggle against the Chargers a bit to win. And gave up 17.

Just least week the Chargers put up a goose egg against the Pats, and BB probably helped get Anthony Lynn fired.

The Bills were able put up about 30 against the Rams and the pats did nothing...

Every week is something different.

Edited by Ghost_002!