Are the Patriots now the drought-era Bills?

Success

15 hours ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

They should consider moving on from Belichick.

Not because he's over the hill NOW, he's still an excellent coach, but because he isn't going to be around long enough for a proper rebuild to take place. He would be a great head coach for a team like the Chargers, with a young stud QB and some talent on defense.

He is not the head coach for a team of over the hill talent and a QB desert incoming. 

All the Pats are going to do now is run on the treadmill of mediocrity with BB.

If they find a QB, a big if, they'll be competitive. They'll draft higher than they have in years this year and likely restock. It won't be easy, but look what Beane did in 3 years.

27 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Speaking of the Patriots: https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/10/ex-chaplain-jack-easterby-houston-texans-chaos-after-power-struggle-daily-cover

My favorite paragraph:

While Easterby aspires to be a transformational leader, guided by religion and morality, people who have worked alongside him in Houston have increasingly come to see him as transactional. Says a colleague: “If you combine a faith-healing televangelist with Littlefinger, you’d get Jack Easterby.”

I guess this is more about the Texans than the Patriots, but WOW

38 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Speaking of the Patriots: https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/10/ex-chaplain-jack-easterby-houston-texans-chaos-after-power-struggle-daily-cover

My favorite paragraph:

While Easterby aspires to be a transformational leader, guided by religion and morality, people who have worked alongside him in Houston have increasingly come to see him as transactional. Says a colleague: “If you combine a faith-healing televangelist with Littlefinger, you’d get Jack Easterby.”

Wow neither of those are good things to be.

9 minutes ago, klos63 said:

If they find a QB, a big if, they'll be competitive. They'll draft higher than they have in years this year and likely restock. It won't be easy, but look what Beane did in 3 years.

I think Belicheck has shown in the past that he's able to be competitive around the QB position when he needs to.  He won with Cassel, and Garrapolo, and even Brissett.  I'm sure folks here don't want to hear it, but the Patriots roster really was stripped by all the Covid opt-outs and will immediately look better when all of them return.  They've got what, 11 players on IR, many of them starters who were covid-19 Opt-outs?

What they'll do at QB is a good question - do they think that Stidham can be coached up?  Or will Belicheck try to "strike gold" again by latching onto one of the various former top picks who will likely be floating around after the season?

A big (and related) question is IMO OL.  In the past, "Coach Scar" coaching up the Patriots OL was crucial to what they were able to do with what some would see as a relatively minor investment on OL.  2000-2013, 2016-2019.  The difference between picks and completions for an aggressive QB is a bit better pass protection.  Ditto the difference between sacks or throwaways and completions for a more cerebral guy.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Belicheck has shown in the past that he's able to be competitive around the QB position when he needs to.  He won with Cassel, and Garrapolo, and even Brissett.  I'm sure folks here don't want to hear it, but the Patriots roster really was stripped by all the Covid opt-outs and will immediately look better when all of them return.  They've got what, 11 players on IR, many of them starters who were covid-19 Opt-outs?

What they'll do at QB is a good question - do they think that Stidham can be coached up?  Or will Belicheck try to "strike gold" again by latching onto one of the various former top picks who will likely be floating around after the season?

A big (and related) question is IMO OL.  In the past, "Coach Scar" coaching up the Patriots OL was crucial to what they were able to do with what some would see as a relatively minor investment on OL.  2000-2013, 2016-2019.  The difference between picks and completions for an aggressive QB is a bit better pass protection.  Ditto the difference between sacks or throwaways and completions for a more cerebral guy.

I could see Belichick going after Darnold and spend some money and draft picks on WR. The defense is missing key players who opted out, can see that side of the ball rebounding quickly.

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

If BB stays he will have 2 choices on QBs.  Get a 2nd tier guy (Winston, Dalton, Trubisky, Brissett, etc) or get one in the draft.

To get one in the draft will require him to trade a great player to a team to move up (as Beane did in 2018) and then with his limited

picks in this year draft (no 3rd due to spying) trade next years 1st to move up the rest to get one.  Either way it's a huge risk that we all know about.

Just because you get one doesn't mean he will work out.  Then again he can think he can make Trubisky a star.

@Ghost_002! has already chimed in on his beliefs but he mainly is talking about players still under contract.  One of which needs to be traded

to move up in the draft.  I'm going to use a UFA like Thuney as the "canary in the coal mine".

If he signs a long term deal maybe they keep their UFAs................if he walks..................!

Without a QB will other FAs want to go to Boston?  All questions that won't be answered until May 2021.

As to the 17 year thing, a lot of bad has to happen to get there but the next 2-3 years is no sure thing for the Pats*.

When BB does leave the question will be, "What assets are left" and then who takes over the GM/HC?

A miss there takes them out 3-4 more years.

I can say most likely Thuney will walk. I dont think BB is going to pay Thuney, and Gilmore. Expect both to walk.

And FAs will still want to come to NE. BB is respected around the league by players and coaches. If they feel the money is right or the situation in NE is right for them I do not see why players wouldn't come. 

Ex of that: Newton was having a convo for his comback show with OBJ and a couple other players (i forgot who) and he said he doesn't know how him and BB were going to mesh

And it was OBJ who told him the best place for him to go and get the coaching he needs was in NE w BB...OBJ still wants to play and NE..Newton now talks glowingly about BB and calls him a football whisperer....

Side note: Kind of has nothing to do w this reply. Did Bills fans know why Cole Beasley chose Buffalo over NE?

I can't remember exactly, i think he said he just wanted to go some place different and not follow the same trend at that time...

Edited by Ghost_002!

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is what I had wanting to say all day while I was at work doing...ya know...work. BB will find a QB (he got Cam this year for nothing) and has tons of cap space next year. In addition, the Covid guys come back (I know Cam was poor initially but he has improved and they are making some noise now). 

The argument about the Pats*** losing their luster for FA’s is fair but, for me, I believe it will take more than one year of being a non-contender for that to be a factor.

While I’m still not convinced that BB is great in the draft, I do know he always finds players willing to play for less than what they can earn elsewhere and, again, I don’t see that changing next year. 

I hope I am wrong...but we’ll know more by next June. 

50 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

I can say most likely Thuney will walk. I dont think BB is going to pay Thuney, and Gilmore. Expect both to walk.

And FAs will still want to come to NE. BB is respected around the league by players and coaches. If they feel the money is right or the situation in NE is right for them I do not see why players wouldn't come. 

Ex of that: Newton was having a convo for his comback show with OBJ and a couple other players (i forgot who) and he said he doesn't know how him and BB were going to mesh

And it was OBJ who told him the best place for him to go and get the coaching he needs was in NE w BB...OBJ still wants to play and NE..Newton now talks glowingly about BB and calls him a football whisperer....

Side note: Kind of has nothing to do w this reply. Did Bills fans know why Cole Beasley chose Buffalo over NE?

I can't remember exactly, i think he said he just wanted to go some place different and not follow the same trend at that time...

First the Beasley question.  Cole said he believed his skillset was needed in Buffalo more than the other teams interested.

Also he wanted a lot of playing time.  I'm sure he thought it much harder with Edelman in NE.

Agree on Thuney but I wonder why BB tagged him.  Curious what you think about the other bigger named FAs?

David Andrews, White, Burkhead?  Even guys like Copeland.

Sure, I kid you Pats* fans about BB but my thoughts are more centered around some players not wanting to stick around for a rebuild.

I say that because when a team doesn't have a QB they are in a rebuild of some kind.

21 hours ago, Success said:

It really struck me watching them play tonight:

- Huge uncertainty at QB

- Good defense & special teams, good RB

- All-pro punter

- Can't consistently score points

- JAG WR corps

- Occasional amazing game to give fans hope, but in general maintaining a near-.500 record 

- Being just good enough to not make the playoffs & avoid the top 10 in the draft

It's been weird reading their boards, too - the same playoff possibility conversations we used to have at this point:  if x team loses twice, and beats y team, but if y team beats z team, etc.  

I must say - I'm liking the role reversal.

We'll know in about sixteen hears, but betting not....

I'll point this out. This season Cam Newton has been so far below what anybody should consider a functional NFL passer that the 31 other teams are correct and there's a reason to Patriots got them for nothing. But Bella check is doing this year is the Mike Tomlin coaching job from last year, where he kept the team in contention for a while even though there isn't a functional playwright quarterback position and even with all the opt outs from covid.

The Patriots will be competitive again when they find a functional player at the quarterback position. They're going to have a good defense, and they're going to be able to run the ball and they're going to be well coached but they need passing efficiency. 

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He won with Cassel, and Garrapolo, and even Brissett.  I'm sure folks here don't want to hear it, but the Patriots roster really was stripped by all the Covid opt-outs and will immediately look better when all of them return.  They've got what, 11 players on IR, many of them starters who were covid-19 Opt-outs?

I’ll grant the first with a superior team.  

he won a few with Jimmy and Brisset.  
he also lost a few with them too. 

both were hyped as winners yet one failed to remain the starter and one may not remain starter for long with his current team.  

23 hours ago, Success said:

It really struck me watching them play tonight:

- Huge uncertainty at QB

- Good defense & special teams, good RB

- All-pro punter

- Can't consistently score points

- JAG WR corps

- Occasional amazing game to give fans hope, but in general maintaining a near-.500 record 

- Being just good enough to not make the playoffs & avoid the top 10 in the draft

It's been weird reading their boards, too - the same playoff possibility conversations we used to have at this point:  if x team loses twice, and beats y team, but if y team beats z team, etc.  

I must say - I'm liking the role reversal.

I mean, they would need to be middling for quite a long time for that to be the case.

NE currently has 3 players on the roster making over $6 mil on the cap (last year it was 6) ......the bills currently have 12

BB is a master of the salary cap.....the only tricky position to fill will be at QB

i'm expecting NE to be back as a playoff wild card team next season...... the bills will win the division

Remember, many opted out for the Pats but the do have a void of talent at the QB, WR, and TE position. Time will tell, but my guess is there gravy train is no more. Bills are the best team in the AFCE and have a franchise QB. Miami is right behind but we do not knownif Tua is the guy yet.

23 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I said this to a buddy a few weeks ago.   I see the Patriots, as long as Belichick is there, as a team that will be between 8-8 and 10-6 until he retires.  He is too stubborn to bottom out for a high pick, but his coaching methods only work so well without Brady.    The defense will have them in contention for a playoff spot every year, but unless he lucks into another dominant Quarterback their offensive gameplan is just bad enough for them to be a middle dweller.

The Belichick legend has reached incredible heights.  But he wasnt a winner before Brady, and he isnt a winning coach now.

There is this possibility of Stafford going to the 49ers and Garapalo coming back to the Patriots...