Mike Tomlin over or underrated

Big Blitz

Dont care for him as a human being, but have to say he is a fantastic head coach.  Honestly, think there may only be three coaches better than him in the entire NFL.   Belichick, Reid and Payton (and Payton is debatable).  He is 21st all time in wins and is only 48 years old.   He could realistically coach another 15-20 years.  By the law of averages that would put him top 5 all time.  He is also already on the books as the youngest coach to ever win a Super Bowl.

Yes, he has had Ben his entire career, and Ben is great but he isnt Brady great where you can make an argument it was all the QB.    I really dont know if there is a sound argument to be made that Tomlin is overrated, he is a fantastic coach who probably ends up in the Hall of Fame.

I think he’s appropriately rated.  He’s kept that team as a contender almost his entire tenure with multiple roster changes. 

I personally still think his “accidental” trip was cheap and I lost a lot of respect for him.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Has he established himself as one of the best coaches in the league?  Thoughts?  

I know from 2013-2018 they underachieved or couldn't get past New England.  And Pittsburgh fans wanted him gone.  Remember the game he tried to trip up a guy on a kick return? 

The AB meltdown and Bell drama could have broke a lot of teams, but they were right to cut Bell loose and trade AB.  How many teams overcome that?  You can definitely say it's Ben and I agree he's one of the best ever.  

I don't know it's odd.  There are times to me he looks like one of the best then there are weeks he looks like one of the worst.  They now expect to lose to a garbage team at least once a year in Pittsburgh.  

Got a kick out of this the other day...

Based on how Steeler fans view him, he’s underrated.

Steeler fans’ expectations are way too high.

Edited by BillsFan619

For the who cares (Chuck Knoll was the best ever) debate between Cowher and Tomlin

Cowher 1992-2006 15 years

.623 Season % wins

.571 Playoff % wins

10 playoffs (2 one and done)

1 Super Bowl

Tomlin 2007-2020 14 years

.657 Season % wins

.553 Playoff % wins

8 Playoffs (4 one and done)

1 Super Bowl

https://www.statscrew.com/football/stats/c-cowhebil001

Overrated.

He is not a bad coach, but also not a great coach.  Id say he’s somewhere between solid and good, closer to good.  But he is too often talked about as a great coach.  He’s actually always been pretty terrible at managing a game clock and made so many head scratching decisions in game for me to ever be in the elite category.  

Just my 2 cents

1 hour ago, Beerball said:

Just about right. I’ve done a 180 on him over the past couple years.

Did he kick your dog?  What about him makes you dislike him as a person?

Wasnt a huge fan when he tripped Jacoby Jones in 2013, thought that was cheap.   He has some issues off the field that have come to light in the last few years I am not a fan of either.  However, I have things too so I probably shouldnt have been so crappy there.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

He is rated properly. I do think that several years ago he was a bit underrated but the past two seasons in my opinion have him as a properly respected coach. I personally have him as one of the elite coaches in the league and I think most analysts and fans do too.

He got the Steelers to 8 wins last year with a third string QB and this year he has gotten them back to 11+ wins despite injuries and offensive talent issues. Tomlin will have the Steelers ready to play and I would be shocked if this game isn't a one posession game late.

Probably underrated.  Among coaches with more than 200 games, Tomlin's winning percentage ranks him 6th at .657(Halas, Shula, Belichick, Paul Brown, Dungy and then Tomlin).  He trails only Belichick at .676 for active coaches in winning percentage. This means he is ahead Sean Payton(.641), Andy Reid(.628) and Pete Carroll(.600). Tomlin has never had a losing season as a head coach. His worst record has been 8-8 which has happened 3 times, which is VERY hard to do, no matter how good of a coach you are. He also has won double digit games in a season in 9 of his 14 years coaching(including this one).

He has made it to the Super Bowl twice, winning once. 

The only knock if there is one, is his playoff record is not great at 8-7. Realistically, the only active coach with a great playoff record is Belichick at 31-12. Everyone else is basically between 1 and 3 games over .500 for the big names at least...Reid, Payton, Carroll, Harbaugh, Gruden, McCarthy, etc...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

I think he is under rated. Next to BB I think he’s the best coach in the league and that includes Andy Reid. Tomlin might be a top 5 coach of all times. 
I look at it this way, Steelers ALWAYS have guys who are super low draft picks or low level free agents and they constantly grow good solid hard working players in that system. Any coach who can constantly get the most out of his players and elevate their games is a keeper. Steelers hit on wide receivers almost every year, they churn out and get the best out of every linebacker that walks on the field, same can be said for the secondary. On to possibly the most important part is they almost always have a great offensive line every year. Big Ben was a great quarterback so he may mask some of the issues in past years but the results from these lower players has to fall on coaching. To be there that long and have players still believing in the system and philosophy is no easy task. I don’t care for him much but I respect the heck out of the job he’s done there.