Mike Tomlin over or underrated

Big Blitz

Has he established himself as one of the best coaches in the league?  Thoughts?  

I know from 2013-2018 they underachieved or couldn't get past New England.  And Pittsburgh fans wanted him gone.  Remember the game he tried to trip up a guy on a kick return? 

The AB meltdown and Bell drama could have broke a lot of teams, but they were right to cut Bell loose and trade AB.  How many teams overcome that?  You can definitely say it's Ben and I agree he's one of the best ever.  

I don't know it's odd.  There are times to me he looks like one of the best then there are weeks he looks like one of the worst.  They now expect to lose to a garbage team at least once a year in Pittsburgh.  

Got a kick out of this the other day...

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think he's a good coach. The Steelers have been consistently good for a long time.

I don't think he is a great coach, though.

I've learned this week that Steelers fans complain about everything. They are dumping on their team this week like they are a 1 win team. Makes sense they would dump on their coach too.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think he's a good coach. The Steelers have been consistently good for a long time.

I've learned this week that Steelers fans complain about everything. They are dumping in their team this week like they are a 1 win team. Makes sense they would dump on their coach too.

Right. Definitely over board reacting by there fan base. 

If I was an owner and Tomlin was available I'd hire him as soon as I possibly could.

He has never had a losing season as a HC! Last season he went 8-8 with Rudolph and Duck as his QBs. Tomlin is a fantastic coach and has had sustained success. He has a 657 win pct over 13+ seasons. If McBeane is that good, he will end up in Canton

Steelers fans are spoiled

• Like (+1) 16

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

29 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

Every Steelers fan I know hates him

most of my friends are Steelers fans and they are mixed on him. Some of it has to do with how beloved Cowher was, and how Tomlin is always compared to him.

its kind of funny— because, statistically, Tomlin is not only a great coach, he is like in the top-5 (arguably, top-3) of NFL coaches of all time. 

how can people argue with 14 consecutive non-losing seasons to start his career (no one has ever done that)? He smashed all the “youngest to do X” records, beating Don Shula’s records. He has numerous playoff appearances, AFC Championship games, SB appearances, and the 1 ring— all while playing in the same conference with the Pats at their peak. He has handled some of the toughest personalities in the NFL very seamlessly (Ben R, James Harrison, Santonio, AB, Mendenhall, Bell, etc.). 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

most of my friends are Steelers fans and they are mixed on him. Some of it has to do with how beloved Cowher was, and how Tomlin is always compared to him.

its kind of funny— because, statistically, Tomlin is not only a great coach, he is like in the top-5 (arguably, top-3) of NFL coaches of all time. 

how can people argue with 14 consecutive non-losing seasons to start his career (no one has ever done that)? He smashed all the “youngest to do X” records, beating Don Shula’s records. He has numerous playoff appearances, AFC Championship games, SB appearances, and the 1 ring— all while playing in the same conference with the Pats at their peak. He has handled some of the toughest personalities in the NFL very seamlessly (Ben R, James Harrison, Santonio, AB, Mendenhall, Bell, etc.). 

I also live in piglet country and the only counter I can offer is that he inherited a super bowl team and hof qb. He's been pretty dam solid tho as a head coach. Their fans are the pits though. Just the worst 

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve never liked him personally as an opposing teams coach. Comes off as arrogant frequently. But you can’t deny he is a great coach. Never a losing season, although he’s been blessed with a hall of fame qb for his entire tenure in Pittsburgh. Let see how great he is once Big Ben retires. But for now, yeah you can’t deny he’s been a great coach. 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Only thing I can come up with is that he hasn’t won a Super Bowl without Dick LeBeau and a defensive HOF player. 🤷‍♂️. Flipside is perpetually contending with Peyton Manning or Darth Hoodie & Brady. Roethlisberger has had a HOF career, but his prime was spent contending with arguably the two best AFC QBs of all time.... Hard to beat that as Tomlin had to out coach great coaches and superior QBs damn near every season he’s been in Yinzland. 

Tomlin makes weird game calls, says he "plays with his gut" despite sometimes being so far off from legit analytics I feel like he should be fired. He has cost them games with off the wall calls.

Then something like last year happens and Pitt should have lost most every game but he does an incredible job putting together a 7 out of 8 game win streak with almost no offensive firepower including no Ben, no AB and Connor hurt every week it seemed.

I dunno.  I think you might outcoach the guy with X's and O's but he sure is a helluva team leader.  Like McD actually.

• Like (+1) 2

However, he had the benefit of a Franchise QB handed to him on day one (one that had just won a super bowl) and has had him for his entire career.   As we see with Josh,  a Franchise QB makes all the difference.  I would still hire him though...He brings tenacity to the team. His approach has been very similar to McDermott

I can understand the mixed feeling... great defense... suspect on offense.. but he makes do and is successful if not always great.  Pitt has a lot of injuries on offense this year and their wide receivers can't catch a cold... still they have managed to win.  Claypool is a great example of this inconsistency... all the physical tools but I question his heart.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

I've learned this week that Steelers fans complain about everything. They are dumping on their team this week like they are a 1 win team. Makes sense they would dump on their coach too.

like most fans...including here