Have you ever walked up to a car that looks like yours and tried to get in?

boater

Not only have I done it, I almost sat on the lap of the man sitting in the driver seat! We BOTH freaked out! He was a good sport about it.....lots of black sedans around the grocery store parking lot. If I’m paying attention, mine is the one with the dog’s nose prints all over the back windows. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Yep. And worse...

Some of my old college buddies get together for a weekend every few years. For one of them, the host couple lived on a street where all the houses looked pretty much the same. I went out to my car, which was parked a few houses down, to get something. When I got back to the house, I opened the door, walked in, and saw an older guy sitting in a recliner watching TV. He looked at me, probably thinking "WTF?" I said, "Sorry - wrong house," and high-tailed it out of there. I got the right house on the second try.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Yep. And worse...

Some of my old college buddies get together for a weekend every few years. For one of them, the host couple lived on a street where all the houses looked pretty much the same. I went out to my car, which was parked a few houses down, to get something. When I got back to the house, I opened the door, walked in, and saw an older guy sitting in a recliner watching TV. He looked at me, probably thinking "WTF?" I said, "Sorry - wrong house," and high-tailed it out of there. I got the right house on the second try.

If it took three tries, I wonder if there was some college style drinking involved! 

We went to visit some buddies in college and walked to a bar a few blocks away.  One of the guys had been over-served and decided to walk back and sleep it off.  He woke up to find an old lady and her son standing over him on their couch. The couch he had wet. OOPS! Not Mike’s finest moment.  

• Haha (+1) 2

Years ago... My mother had a 1968 blue Plymouth Valiant.   I was like 6 years old.  We go to store. We come out of store, she gets in a "blue Valiant."  I refuse to get in.  She's like: "What's wrong? Get in." I am shaking my head with a scared look.  She turns around in the front driver's seat and there is a big azz German shepherd staring  at her, growling! 😆 

Needless to say... Back then nobody locked their doors. Boy, she got out in a hurry! 

I will never forget that blue Plymouth!

103_0087.JPG

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

If it took three tries, I wonder if there was some college style drinking involved! 

We went to visit some buddies in college and walked to a bar a few blocks away.  One of the guys had been over-served and decided to walk back and sleep it off.  He woke up to find an old lady and her son standing over him on their couch. The couch he had wet. OOPS! Not Mike’s finest moment.  

Chad Kelly in Denver?

In the early 80's I would attend our office Christmas parties in the Manhattan. Fell asleep on the Long Island Rail road several times after these parties. One year I miraculously woke up in time to get off the train at the correct station. As I descended the stairs at around 2 AM, I was stunned to see that my wife had thoughtfully parked our 1982 blue Mazda 626 at the base of the stairs! I get in and see that she had somehow knew I would be too full of holiday cheer to drive the stick shift, so she somehow swapped out the manual transmission for automatic. She had also had the forethought to put one of those plastic gold crowns with deodorizer in it to cover the smell of my beer consumption. As I praised her wonderful planning, I could not figure out why my key would not start the car. I fiddled with it a few times, then figured it may be a sign I should not drive. I walked home and somehow my Mazda had beat me home! Gone was the automatic transmission and the gold crown stink absorber. 

• Haha (+1) 2

I literally just did it less than a week ago.

Shuffled out of a rural convenience store at 6:30am looking down at a newspaper, walked over to my black truck and glanced up to grab the door handle just to see a guy in the driver's seat of his pickup laughing at me. I just shook my head and walked around to my truck which was parked right next to his.

It's happened to me more than once.  Only one time have I actually gotten in and sat down.  No harm, no foul.  Just a few weeks ago, a woman at work told me that she got into my car and sat down because she thought it was hers.  Funny stuff.

I "lost" my car a couple times for a few days after my 1st divorce in the late 80's. 

Was living in a Buffalo area where bars were up and down the main drag and back in the surrounding neighborhoods nearby.

Luckily, I had two cars, so I could go to work and then go drive the neighborhood to find it.

.....which I eventually did.

• Haha (+1) 1

Yes, many times.

The most recent was, I got a 2016 4Runner in May. I had owned a 2005 CR-V since new.......

In the first week, I walked up to a silver 2nd-gen CR-V and kept hitting the key fob and then realized it wasn't mine. Took me a month to actually realize I had a different car.

14 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Yep. And worse...

I also did that in college......only one time. 

I thought I was going to get shot. I legit was scared and the guy realized I sincerely made a mistake, and calmed down.

20 hours ago, boater said:

Me.. yes. I have a plain jane grey Toyota Camry. I entered some other similar sedan and couldn't understand why keys were in my ignition. Thanks be to God I got out before some kind of confrontation took place. Also, dude's car was cleaner than mine.

Only with a rental.

I have a black subaru Outback and the salespersons in my neck of the woods did a great job in 2018

as there are several of them.  I placed a sticker from my alma mater on one window and my grandson

uses that sticker to steer me in the right direction.

Recently , I was using the fob to unlock the door and my grandson pointed out that I was at the wrong vehicle.

That youngin '  is brilliant.

I can see where getting into the wrong vehicle at a drive-in might be 'interesting'

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.