AFC Playoff Picture: Buffalo Bills rooting interests, Week 14

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Completely agree. The Browns are the most dangerous likely wildcard for me and the worst matchup for the Bills. They run it great, they play action pass great, and their defense is opportunistic and turns mistakes into turnovers. That sounds to me like the exact way the Titans beat us. Don't fear Cleveland or Tennessee but there are much better match ups out there for the Bills.

The only team concerning me is the Chiefs for obvious reasons.  We will have to be at the top of our game scoring to beat them.  The Browns yes have played mostly bad teams, their defense GB is opportunistic, and they run well.  That said, it won’t be easy for Chubb to run when we are throwing 20+ yard passes down the field torching them.  Sal made a good point this morning Allen was #1 for the season with the most passes of this distance in a game against the 49ers, a top 5 defense all year of any NFL team. That will take the Chiefs off their comfort zone and the game will be forced to be in the hands of Mayfield.  He can’t compete with Allen nor can any other QB from the 18 class.

The Chiefs are the only team we have to be seriously concerned how we can beat them. I just hope we have everyone including a healthy defense (Milano) and Brown.  I’m a huge Bills Homer as all of you know, but I know we can beat any other AFC contender on a decent day.  They also can beat us.  Not cocky.  Beating the Chiefs will be us at our best.

Shady, thanks for starting a good discussion thread.

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I have said elsewhere home field advantage is much less important so if we clinch a week early we can have our bye week vs Dolphins

Tim, I get it, but I guess being a competitor 100 years ago, I hate the record shows we were 10-6 last year when we would have been 11-5 without even trying if the starters played.  It didn’t help us in the playoffs like it didn’t help the Dungy Colts.  I’d rather have guys in a rhythm, even if it means the starter only play a half or 3 quarters.  These guys are creatures of habit.

52 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

The only team concerning me is the Chiefs for obvious reasons.  We will have to be at the top of our game scoring to beat them.  The Browns yes have played mostly bad teams, their defense GB is opportunistic, and they run well.  That said, it won’t be easy for Chubb to run when we are throwing 20+ yard passes down the field torching them.  Sal made a good point this morning Allen was #1 for the season with the most passes of this distance in a game against the 49ers, a top 5 defense all year of any NFL team. That will take the Chiefs off their comfort zone and the game will be forced to be in the hands of Mayfield.  He can’t compete with Allen nor can any other QB from the 18 class.

The Chiefs are the only team we have to be seriously concerned how we can beat them. I just hope we have everyone including a healthy defense (Milano) and Brown.  I’m a huge Bills Homer as all of you know, but I know we can beat any other AFC contender on a decent day.  They also can beat us.  Not cocky.  Beating the Chiefs will be us at our best.

Tim, I get it, but I guess being a competitor 100 years ago, I hate the record shows we were 10-6 last year when we would have been 11-5 without even trying if the starters played.  It didn’t help us in the playoffs like it didn’t help the Dungy Colts.  I’d rather have guys in a rhythm, even if it means the starter only play a half or 3 quarters.  These guys are creatures of habit.

Truly my dream scenario is where Josh plays a fist half puts up 5 TDs against the Pat's* and then Dolphins and we pull all starters at half. I understand the wanting to stay in rhythm but I would rather have rest for our important players. Coach McD might have to make some decisions and make one of us seem smart 

Tim, as long as we beat both teams by 21, I’m in.  Is that an ok compromise?  I’m bouncing back and forth on the Rams game and something else, and fun seeing 17-3 at the half.  Now waking up tomorrow and the Rams win by 40 would be a nice start to a Friday.  Then we can finally stop hearing the Pats are coming back crap.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Why Baltimore over Cleveland? I'd rather Baltimore not make the playoffs.

Why? Baltimore is not good

Fun Fact. Lamar Jackson has two 300 yard passing games in his career. Week 1 vs Miami JV squad and last seasons playoff loss. If you can stop that running attack (which the Bills did last season) Baltimore is cooked

Lamar is averaging 186 yards passing PPG and 60 yards rushing PG.

The Ravens do not scare me at all

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I suppose what I mean is I can see a route for Tennessee and Cleveland to win a game against the Bills. I am not sure I see a way for Indy or Vegas or Miami to beat us. Just don't think they have the horses. So I'd much prefer to play one of those.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

GB, I think we’re saying similar things as you’re right, we can lose to a number of playoff teams, but the Chiefs for me me is the White Whale.

I think the Chiefs are the only ones that Buffalo playing their best game against could still lose to. If both teams played 100% of capability I think the Chiefs win. Whereas every other team if the Bills are at their best I think we win. Hell the Chiefs might be the only other team in the whole league I think that about at the moment. New Orleans even with Brees I'd make a coin flip.

You know this week, WGR in the morning has been posing the question different ways about the SB chances, and what would need to happen, or what is the one position deficiency.  There is a lot of cautious optimism.  I thought whoever wins the AFC should win the SB.  I’m almost afraid to say it, but if it’s not the Chiefs, it could be us.  The Saints are solid, but they are beatable.

The only seed that really matters is #1, and it would take a lot of upsets for the Bills to get that.  It will be great if the Bills can host a playoff game, so my focus is on them winning the division.  So, I'm rooting for KC to beat Miami. 

Good start with the Rams beating the Pats. At 6-7 the best NE can do is 9-7. One more win by the Bills or loss by them and they can't catch the Bills. Just give me KC over Miami and BUF over PIT and that would be a great football weekend.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Oh so because Lamar has only two 300 yard passing games they aren't a legitimate threat in the playoffs? 

Interesting logic. The last two times the Bills played Baltimore they have absolutely ***** on the Bills offense and I'm sure they'll feel confident they can do it again. 

Not saying the Bills wouldn't beat the Ravens, but if there's a team I don't want them to play in the first round it's the Ravens.(Or Titans)

To your first point, Lamar has absolutely sucked in the playoffs. When they face a good defense, he is pedestrian at best. If he could play the cowboys each week, I'd be scared

Second, making Nate Peterman look bad is not an accomplishment. Its pretty much considered bullying at this point. Also, this offense is very different than the one they faced last year. I'm confident Josh is much more ready to beat them this year, than he was last year. (Which by they way, the lost on a 4th down pass that Josh put in the exact right spot)

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

The only seed that really matters is #1, and it would take a lot of upsets for the Bills to get that.  It will be great if the Bills can host a playoff game, so my focus is on them winning the division.  So, I'm rooting for KC to beat Miami. 

Same here.  If we had beaten KC, we might have a realistic chance of catching them with just one or two breaks.  But we didn't, and the fact is that it's highly unlikely that we pass them for the #1 seed.  And of course, there's also the little matter of also being behind the Steelers even with a win on Sunday.  That's all too much of a parlay for me.

Just give me a Miami loss and the AFC East, please.  Edit: We're not getting a first round bye, but we can definitely arrange for week 17 to be meaningless.

Edited by BillsFanSD