“Chris Simms: Unbuttoned” a MUST watch IMO

Stank_Nasty

I enjoy Sims... I don't always agree with him but he has a really engaging style. I think he has been right about Allen a lot too. My only frustration on this video is that people keep referencing how the 49ers shut down the Rams the week before.... and I don't understand why none of the talking heads are quite catching on to why this is..... McVay runs Shanahan's scheme just with a bit more eye candy in terms of jet sweeps. The plays when you strip everything else out are meat and potatoes Shanahan stretch zone concepts. The reason that the 49ers have beaten the Rams 4 times in a row is because Kyle Shanahan understands McVay's playbook better than McVay does.

None of which is intended to downplay what the Bills did to the 49ers D, which despite its missing pieces has still been mostly solid this year. But man this "they shut down the Rams that was amazing" narrative really frustrates me. Gruden shut down Oakland in the Superbowl once too. It's easier when you have the other team's playbook.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I enjoy Sims... I don't always agree with him but he has a really engaging style. I think he has been right about Allen a lot too. My only frustration on this video is that people keep referencing how the 49ers shut down the Rams the week before.... and I don't understand why none of the talking heads are quite catching on to why this is..... McVay runs Shanahan's scheme just with a bit more eye candy in terms of jet sweeps. The plays when you strip everything else out are meat and potatoes Shanahan stretch zone concepts. The reason that the 49ers have beaten the Rams 4 times in a row is because Kyle Shanahan understands McVay's playbook better than McVay does.

None of which is intended to downplay what the Bills did to the 49ers D, which despite its missing pieces has still been mostly solid this year. But man this "they shut down the Rams that was amazing" narrative really frustrates me. Gruden shut down Oakland in the Superbowl once too. It's easier when you have the other team's playbook.

I don’t think that’s a fair criticism of Simms. It’s a fact that the Niners are a top 10 defense, and that they shut down a Rams offense that has been pretty good this year.  The fact that they beat them 4 times in a row doesn’t detract from that, especially since they are division rivals; the Rams should be better prepared for what the Niners throw at them on defense....And doesn’t your argument suggest McVay has a deep understanding of Shanahan’s playbook?

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

I don’t think that’s a fair criticism of Simms. It’s a fact that the Niners are a top 10 defense, and that they shut down a Rams offense that has been pretty good this year.  The fact that they beat them 4 times in a row doesn’t detract from that, especially since they are division rivals; the Rams should be better prepared for what the Niners throw at them on defense....And doesn’t your argument suggest McVay has a deep understanding of Shanahan’s playbook?

McVay is a good coach. He doesn't understand that scheme as well as Shanahan does. It isn't a case of the 9ers defense is just so darn good that is shut out the Rams.... there is a pattern of the 9ers playing particularly well against the Rams. The 9ers are a top 10 defense. Nobody is arguing they are not legit. I just see that game as a bad one for people trying to make that point to keep throwing out there as an example.

Edit: and it isn't a criticism of Sims per se it is just a frustration with the number of times I have heard that line without anyone ever acknowledging the obvious.

Edited by GunnerBill

7 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

So I’ve grown to love this dudes breakdowns and this is such an interesting one that I thought it deserved its own thread. Simms hasn’t been shy for 2 years now about being high on Allen, McDermott and the Bills. But what I find refreshing is that he pulls no punches with them or anyone else. Perfect evidence of that is him ripping our defense on a weekly basis in the middle of the season. 

That was a good watch, thanks.

I'd also like to complement the cleaning lady's buttocks at the 2:30 mark.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Man, he just does a great job of helping the average fan understand ball. I really enjoy his stuff. 

Also he is okay with saying he was wrong when he’s wrong, he is pretty much the best, imo, sure beats the hell out of pff’s endless blathering that I see posted on this board.

• Like (+1) 1

Chris is awesome. He is entertaining and knowledge without being pretentious. Probably one of my fav 2 or 3 NFL talking heads. I like his Dad a ton as well. Phil is hilarious.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

My only frustration on this video is that people keep referencing how the 49ers shut down the Rams the week before.... and I don't understand why none of the talking heads are quite catching on to why this is..... McVay runs Shanahan's scheme just with a bit more eye candy in terms of jet sweeps. The plays when you strip everything else out are meat and potatoes Shanahan stretch zone concepts. The reason that the 49ers have beaten the Rams 4 times in a row is because Kyle Shanahan understands McVay's playbook better than McVay does.

Why does this matter? The point is, the Niners are good and able to shut down high-octane offenses. There was one they faces last week that they had no answer for. It underscores Chris' point, the Bills O is on FIRE.

1 hour ago, foreboding said:

Why does this matter? The point is, the Niners are good and able to shut down high-octane offenses. There was one they faces last week that they had no answer for. It underscores Chris' point, the Bills O is on FIRE.

I agree the Bills O is on fire. I just don't think the Rams game proves anything about the 49ers defense. Except they know what is coming. As I say.... Gruden shut down Oakland in the Superbowl too. Easier when you know their playbook.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree the Bills O is on fire. I just don't think the Rams game proves anything about the 49ers defense. Except they know what is coming. As I say.... Gruden shut down Oakland in the Superbowl too. Easier when you know their playbook.

You’re probably right. But the fact that they had a ranking of the #5 yardage d and #10 points allowed, points to them being consistently good most of the year. 

I’d also prefer not to look at just one game. So those rankings say a lot more than the rams game IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

You’re probably right. But the fact that they had a ranking of the #5 yardage d and #10 points allowed, points to them being consistently good most of the year. 

I’d also prefer not to look at just one game. So those rankings say a lot more than the rams game IMO. 

Yea completely my point.

I like his office set up there.  Looks like he is in a mall.  Cleaning crew walks right through the scene.  He should throw a barber's pole up where those Verizion signs are to complete the look.  Can't tell if he has a Boy Blue Bobblehead on that table.

Edited by wjag

12 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

So I’ve grown to love this dudes breakdowns and this is such an interesting one that I thought it deserved its own thread. Simms hasn’t been shy for 2 years now about being high on Allen, McDermott and the Bills. But what I find refreshing is that he pulls no punches with them or anyone else. Perfect evidence of that is him ripping our defense on a weekly basis in the middle of the season. 

Anyways... I thought this was just an awesome breakdown of the game and our coaches. I just really love the guys work. I know a couple others like @Hapless Bills Fan enjoy him as well. 

-first 15 min he breaks down Allen’s play and a couple of specific plays highlighting Dabolls creativity. 

-16:00 mark he starts in about the defense and how much more healthy and aggressive they have looked. Calls McDermott a “Code cracker” when it comes to planning for specific weekly challenges. 

-Ends by talking about how he was disappointed with the team by mid season and considered them a one and done but with the emergence of the defense he thinks they are legit Super Bowl threats. 

ENJOY! I think there are some fun discussion points in this. 

It starts out praising the 49'ers for "keeping it close"? 

OK, I guess they did lead for the 1st Q but I thought that was more us being knuckleheads than them keeping it close

Nexgen stats no longer has the individual game charts up for the QB, just a season average

This chart is a thing of beauty, and deserves continued access, so I cut it out of the show .

If anyone has continued access to a higher-res version, please let me know

image.thumb.png.3a6ac6c26ebc37081807b2c54e5a5038.png

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Gunner.....the SF 49ers have been a top defense most of the year, still top-10 in ypp, total yards, and a bunch of other metrics.  They play in a division where they play other good teams who do not run Shanahan stretch zone concepts.  I take your point that the Rams are easier meat for the 49'ers slicing because of the Shanahan/McVay connection, but that isn't the only time their D has looked good.  Salah is a good DC and that is a solid D.   I think you have to give him that "nit".