To heck with the Pittsburgh Steelers

appoo

(Note I had created this topic before last year's Steeler game, and was intending to bump it for this week's game, but it was archived so I'm just gonna recreate it)

------

I'm 41 years old. I've been a Bills fans for as long as I can remember, having immigrated to Buffalo when I was 2 years old. My first memories are of the bickering bills. Jim Kelly playing the Jets as a youngin. Ronnie Harmon dropping that TD in Cleveland, the Bills stadium playing Hootie and the Blowfish after making the Dolphins cry...basically I'm a lifer. And I love/hate it, probably like many of you. 

This is going to be my first post/thread. Why? A little bit more about my background. As I said above, I immigrated to Buffalo when I was just 2, and my family lived in upstate NY until I was about in 4th or 5th grade, and then we moved to PA. In fact the first Bills SB happened when we moved to good ol Scranton, Pennsylvania (note, not coincidentally the first time I ever cried because of a sporting event also happened in 4th or 5th grade).

This, then, is where the story of my hatred of the Pittsburgh Steelers begins. Back in those days, you couldn't watch your team unless they were on national TV, or you lived locally to them. Yet I remember watching the Bills every Sunday with the rest of my family, and it was because my Dad purchased a satellite dish for the sole purpose of getting the Binghamton CBS. Why? Because apparently all of PA is a suburb of Pittsburgh. So actually this wasn't bad in the present, I only retroactively added to my hate for the Steelers wen I realized my Dad had to spend money and go out of his way or for us to be forced to watch the freakin Steelers or paid programming on Sunday afternoons. 

That hatred only TRULY began when I got to Penn State. Boy. Tell that group you're from PA who's not a fan of the Steelers and they look at you like you're an alien. Then tell them you're a Bills fan, they'll turn into the most arrogant aholes you'll meet, acting like they invented football. To this day I tell people that Pittsburgh would be a wonderful city if you just got rid of all Steeler fans. Easily the most entitled fanbase I've come across in my entire life. 

Worst of all, this is where I encountered the awfulness that is the NFL Blackout/locality rules. If your local team wasn't sold out, or it wasn't in the 1pm/4pm time slot, you were watching paid programming. This was when I realized how lucky I was growing up with a satellite dish. This was awful. Now my Sunday football choices was the Eagles, those ugly ass Yellow and Black uniforms, or paid programming? Yea, FU Pittsburgh. (sidenote, I'm kinda/sorta a 2nd hand eagles fan)

What's worse, even when the Bills showed the rare signs of life, who was there to stomp on it? Yep, you guessed it. The Villains of PA. There was the Willis McGahee led Bills, running through the AFC, trying to work their way back into the playoffs - only to be turned back by the 2nd string Pittsburgh steelers in the final game of the season. 

Fitzmagic! Win 3 straight games, start getting some momentum going. Along come the Steelers. We got this. We get to OT. Fitz throws an absolute BEAUTY of a bomb in the back corner of the end zone, that thing must have gone 50 yards and dropped on an absolute dime of a target area. It hits Stevie Johnson right in the hands, I'm screaming my head off, the announcers are yelling in celebration, it's happening! We beat the Steelers.....but no. 

Even when they DON'T involve the Bills! They're easy to hate. Do we all remember Super Bowl XL? I lived in Seattle between 2011 - 2017, and let me tell you, they will always remember that one. You know what city has a different narrative than the rest of America? You guess it. Ask someone from Pittsburgh about the horrible officiating from SB XL and they'll cite some random missed hold on the Hawks;  remind them of phantom touchdowns for the Steelers, phantom OPI that took away a TD, a steeler Offside that caused a hold that negated a TD...and you get blank stares as if none of that ever happened. Because in their minds it was Jerome Bettis Week, and the bus DESERVED to win a title in his hometown, and of course there was no bad officiating, yinze are just jealous. 

I'm a Bills/Knicks/Mets/Syracuse/Penn State fan. Despair and failure runs thick. The only championship I've "experienced" as an adult was the Melo led Orange in 2003. And of course along the way I've developed some sporting hates. The Yankees, Ohio State - but NOTHING will ever match my personal dislike of the Pittsburgh effing Steelers and that arrogant, smug as crap fanbase. 

So yea, to HELL with the Pittsburgh Steelers, and lets effing go Buffalo. Pound these guys to nothing. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, appoo said:

If you ever want to get into an annoying football debate, suggest to a Steeler fan that Troy Palamalu was not only NOT the greatest player to ever live, he's not even as goood as Ed Reed

They were great in vastly different ways though.  I would say that I'd probably take ronnie lott over polamalu tho.  Guy started as a corner, and became a beast of a safety.  So you know he's got sick coverage skills, but that guy could lay some lumber too.  I feel like Lott could diagnose plays like reed, but also hit like a polamalu.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm with you brother.  My dislike goes back to when I was a kid the 70's.  One of my favorite  vivid memories of those days was Jim Haslett intentionally stepping on Terry Bradshaw's head after he was tackled out of bounds.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp

42 minutes ago, appoo said:

(Note I had created this topic before last year's Steeler game, and was intending to bump it for this week's game, but it was archived so I'm just gonna recreate it)

------

I'm 41 years old.

Are you 42 now, or did you update that part?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Stads said:

Where is heck if I may ask? Is it the top floor of hell? The coffee is always lukewarm and the donuts are a day old. It's not insufferable, but mildly annoying.

It's basically the Medium Place

(My apologies if you don't watch the Good Place. Also - everyone go watch the Good Place)

The first bills game I ever attended was 2004, bills and steelers. I probably don't have to remind anyone of that game or the implications surrounding it. There was probably 20k steelers fans there. So I understand the frustration. On top of that, I just wanna beat them and get the respect 

The Steelers fans that I know understand the game, love their team like we do, and none of them are obnoxious.   I find them to be the exact opposite of Pats fans.

Also you may find it interesting that they ALL hate the terrible towel idea.  When everyone starts whipping them around at home games it literally forms a wall of yellow and you can't see the field at all.  Ask any Pitt fan that goes to the games and see what they say.  

I have some resentment because we were so close to getting Big Ben in a draft trade but Donahoe couldn't pull it off.

Also, we're going to beat them silly and it's going to be awesome so if you ARE a Pitt hater then enjoy your Sunday evening !  

1 minute ago, Da webster guy said:

The Steelers fans that I know understand the game, love their team like we do, and none of them are obnoxious.   I find them to be the exact opposite of Pats fans.

Also you may find it interesting that they ALL hate the terrible towel idea.  When everyone starts whipping them around at home games it literally forms a wall of yellow and you can't see the field at all.  Ask any Pitt fan that goes to the games and see what they say.  

I have some resentment because we were so close to getting Big Ben in a draft trade but Donahoe couldn't pull it off.

Also, we're going to beat them silly and it's going to be awesome so if you ARE a Pitt hater then enjoy your Sunday evening !  

First of all, you can't ask people who don't exist (Pitt fans who goto games)

Second, I never claimed rationality!

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

The first bills game I ever attended was 2004, bills and steelers. I probably don't have to remind anyone of that game or the implications surrounding it. There was probably 20k steelers fans there. So I understand the frustration. On top of that, I just wanna beat them and get the respect 

That game was right up there as one of the most heartbreaking Bills games of the Drought.  You could honestly make a case for it as #1

3 hours ago, appoo said:

If you ever want to get into an annoying football debate, suggest to a Steeler fan that Troy Palamalu was not only NOT the greatest player to ever live, he's not even as goood as Ed Reed

I suggested to one that Reed had better hair than Palamalu.  He was ready to knock my head off.